Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I am a second year undergraduate at Hull University. I did my first year in 07/08 and then decided to move away from home in 08/09, but had to later intercalate due to financial problems. I am currently repeating the year, but not enjoying it. I wish I had now applied for Single Honours Theology, instead of a Joint Honours course.

I also feel sidelined because I am repeating the year, whilst all my friends will be graduating in the summer. I am still living at home and have no job and little money. It takes about an hour (each way) to commute to my University. I am unable to drive due to nystagmus ( a visual condition).

I recently received my first essay back. It was graded only at 39%, but I managed to average a high 2.1 grade in my first year. I have a note taker and the department has a policy of sending letters to students if they miss two lectures.

Clearly, in the economic climate, it is probably not the wisest decision to quit my degree without any idea of what to do next. I feel like I am doing it to manage other people's expectations. Someone at my Church said yesterday that I spend more time arguing with my professors than doing the work. I enjoy the subject, but clearly different Universities offer different syllabuses. Nottingham, DurhAm and Oxford, for instance, have maintained a traditional focus on Christian Theology.

I don't receive my first semester exam results until next week, but only had chance to complete one question, rather than two. I have already received two and a half years of funding.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenbanana)
    Dear all,

I am a second year undergraduate at Hull University. I did my first year in 07/08 and then decided to move away from home in 08/09, but had to later intercalate due to financial problems. I am currently repeating the year, but not enjoying it. I wish I had now applied for Single Honours Theology, instead of a Joint Honours course.

I also feel sidelined because I am repeating the year, whilst all my friends will be graduating in the summer. I am still living at home and have no job and little money. It takes about an hour (each way) to commute to my University. I am unable to drive due to nystagmus ( a visual condition).

I recently received my first essay back. It was graded only at 39%, but I managed to average a high 2.1 grade in my first year. I have a note taker and the department has a policy of sending letters to students if they miss two lectures.

Clearly, in the economic climate, it is probably not the wisest decision to quit my degree without any idea of what to do next. I feel like I am doing it to manage other people's expectations. Someone at my Church said yesterday that I spend more time arguing with my professors than doing the work. I enjoy the subject, but clearly different Universities offer different syllabuses. Nottingham, DurhAm and Oxford, for instance, have maintained a traditional focus on Christian Theology.

I don't receive my first semester exam results until next week, but only had chance to complete one question, rather than two. I have already received two and a half years of funding.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    I cant tell if you want to quit and then do another university course (it kind of seems like you might from parts) in which case you should be aware of the funding implications in that you might not receive tuition fee loans for more than a year (being your final not first or second). So really this is your only chance of getting a degree unless you can afford this, and if you dont have a degree then you will find it more difficult in the job market, though not impossible of course.

Most of what you say are reasons to be upset and feeling low but not to quit - yes your friends will have graduated but if you drop out and enter the work market at the same time it doesnt benefit you. I commute roughly the same it is annoying but not a reason to leave, if you managed high 2.1 before then you should know you have the potential for better than 39% its probably your mild depression or that you apparently dont do the actual work, preferring to argue with your professors. It would be better getting a degree lower than a 2.1 then no degree as you already have spent a load of time and money on it. I am an advocate for work experience over academic experience but youre like 2 thirds into the degree already so i think its a case of manning up as it were because you dont have the right reasons to leave.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.