Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Britain the biggest aircraft carrier in the world? watch

ReputationRep:
    Through times of war and rebellion, peace and estrangement, as well as later becoming friends and allies, the United Kingdom and the United States cemented these deeply rooted links during World War II into what is known as the "Special Relationship", still described by a leading commentator as "the key trans-Atlantic alliance", which the US Senate Chair on European Affairs acknowledged in 2010 as "one of the cornerstones of stability around the world."

Is Britain the biggest aircraft carrier in the world? Or is there really a symbiotic 'special relationship' with America?

Suppose there was a huge terrorist attack in London, do you think America would jointly support an invasion into the country deemed reponsible?

UK:
    "Present British policy is that the relationship with the United States remains the United Kingdom's 'most important bilateral relationship"

USA:
    "Barack Obama, suggesting that Blair and the UK had been let down by the Bush administration, declared: 'We have a chance to recalibrate the relationship and for the United Kingdom to work with America as a full partner"

"On meeting Brown as president for the first time in March 2009, Obama reaffirmed that 'Great Britain is one of our closest and strongest allies and there is a link and bond there that will not break... This notion that somehow there is any lessening of that special relationship is misguided... The relationship is not only special and strong but will only get stronger as time goes on"

After her first ministerial-level talks with British Foreign Secretary David Miliband in early February 2009, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared: 'It's often said that the United States and Great Britain have long enjoyed a special relationship. It is certainly special in my mind, and one that has proven very productive. Whoever is in the White House, whichever party in our country, this relationship really stands the test of time.'

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Obama is doing his best to snub Britain. He throws out the bust of Churchill from the oval office, he gives brown a set of crappy DVD's, he barely manages a nod to the Queen while he bows horizontally to the Saudi King. Brown was denied a press conference or even a dinner on the state visit, he has never mentioned Britain (or our 9,000 troops in Afghan) in any of his key policies or speech’s.

I know Obama was a snake in the Grass, I really hope he loses the next election. I honestly preferred Bush; at least he showed us respect.

ReputationRep:
    Brown called Omaha beach, Obama beach.

And you expect this guy to show our country respect?

(Original post by Renner)
    I know Obama was a snake in the Grass, I really hope he loses the next election. I honestly preferred Bush; at least he showed us respect.
    Forget the illegal wars,forget the rampant imperialism,as long as Bush showed us some darn jolly respect to his old compadre's the British it doesn't matter?
    At least we would get a good seat at the dinner table.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about aircraft carriers for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    What are you on about aircraft carriers for?
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    :facepalm2:
    I didn't understand the metaphor either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glass*****)
    I didn't understand the metaphor either.
    In that case, I attribute your lack of understanding to a gross lack of intelligence.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I attribute your lack of understanding to a gross lack of intelligence.

Care to explain then? Stun us with your intelligence.

ReputationRep:

Only one half-decent university offer. :rolleyes: Don't talk to me about unintelligence.

I was very polite in just saying I didn't understand, but maybe that rudeness is all I can expect from a Scouse.

ReputationRep:
    Care to explain then? Stun us with your intelligence.
    Well firstly, you would probably need a basic understanding of what an aircraft carrier actually does.
    It is subordinate to the country (in this metaphor, Britain to America) & It allows a states' military to outsource its base of operations to a strategic location from which to launch attacks from (in the metaphors case 'attacks' can be used to describe diplomatic attacks, offensive attacks and even in this case defence).
    Using this definition, it can be said that America is using Britain for exactly this purpose except on a scale much larger than a conventional aircraft carrier. the metaphor was further appropriately used because the British Isles are also situated in the Atlantic, just as an aircraft carrier would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glass*****)
    Only one half-decent university offer. :rolleyes: Don't talk to me about unintelligence.

I was very polite in just saying I didn't understand, but maybe that rudeness is all I can expect from a Scouse.
    'A scouse'
    Maybe you should update your geography knowledge. Maybe then you would realise that Wirral isn't situated in Liverpool. In fact, it is a peninsula, separated from Liverpool by the body of water known as the river Mersey.

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly, you would probably need a basic understanding of what an aircraft carrier actually does.
    It is subordinate to the country (in this metaphor, Britain to America) & It allows a states' military to outsource its base of operations to a strategic location from which to launch attacks from (in the metaphors case 'attacks' can be used to describe diplomatic attacks, offensive attacks and even in this case defence).
    Using this definition, it can be said that America is using Britain for exactly this purpose except on a scale much larger than a conventional aircraft carrier. the metaphor was further appropriately used because the British Isles are also situated in the Atlantic, just as an aircraft carrier would be
    What is actually wrong with you? You have got a serious problem with your personality and I think you need to show people a bit more respect. I, and everyone else, are sick of your stupid attitude.

Grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it isn't a difficult metaphor to get in the context it was written.

Read the full post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    What is actually wrong with you? You have got a serious problem with your personality and I think you need to show people a bit more respect. I, and everyone else, are sick of your stupid attitude.

Grow a pair.
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    lol @ you trying to patronise me. USAFE have only got 2 primary stations in the UK, at Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

You realise the cold war has finished?

ReputationRep:
    America uses most of the world as an aircraft carrier. It isn't hard to argue that the US is actually an empire.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ you trying to patronise me. USAFE have only got 2 primary stations in the UK, at Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

That whooshing sound was the point flying merrily over your head.

ReputationRep:

Are you so narrowminded? I'm not talking specifically about US aircraft attacks being launched from the UK, I'm talking about the intergration of American military, diplomacy, intelligence et al.

Even the ballistic missile early warning system is placed in Britain for America's benefit.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.