Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Britain the biggest aircraft carrier in the world? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Obama is doing his best to snub Britain. He throws out the bust of Churchill from the oval office, he gives brown a set of crappy DVD's, he barely manages a nod to the Queen while he bows horizontally to the Saudi King. Brown was denied a press conference or even a dinner on the state visit, he has never mentioned Britain (or our 9,000 troops in Afghan) in any of his key policies or speech’s.

I know Obama was a snake in the Grass, I really hope he loses the next election. I honestly preferred Bush; at least he showed us respect.
    Agreed. Bush was by far a better president than this mong obema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    That whooshing sound was the point flying merrily over your head.
    Not quite. You see there is no point, hence my previous post. To suggest that the the US is using the UK is an aircraft carrier (with a couple of bases and a few F-15's and so on) is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Not quite. You see there is no point, hence my previous post. To suggest that the the US is using the UK is an aircraft carrier (with a couple of bases and a few F-15's and so on) is stupid.
    :facepalm:

It's an extended metaphor. He doesn't literally mean an aircraft carrier - he's talking about the so-called 'Special Relationship' and whether it is of any benefit to Britain, or if we are subordinate to the US. If we are subordinate to them politically and diplomatically, we may as well be their 'aircraft carrier', their base of operations in Europe, their spokesman etc etc.

It's really not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    :facepalm:

It's an extended metaphor. He doesn't literally mean an aircraft carrier - he's talking about the so-called 'Special Relationship' and whether it is of any benefit to Britain, or if we are subordinate to the US. If we are subordinate to them politically and diplomatically, we may as well be their 'aircraft carrier', their base of operations in Europe, their spokesman etc etc.

It's really not that difficult.
    That's not an extended metaphor. It's really not that difficult.

Quick tip - metaphors don't really work when the subject of the metaphor has literal relevance to what you are describing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    That's not an extended metaphor. It's really not that difficult.

Quick tip - metaphors don't really work when the subject of the metaphor has literal relevance to what you are describing :rolleyes:
    So what is it then? A conceptual metaphor? Either way I don't think it was hard to understand from the rather long explanation given in the original post.

Also, where was the 'literal relevance'?

ReputationRep:
    Did you come up with this by yourself? Gore Vidal coined this phrase in his book "Dreaming War" and also in a fairly recent interview:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-1798601.html

"This isn't a country, it's an American aircraft carrier."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techadm69)
    Did you come up with this by yourself? Gore Vidal coined this phrase in his book "Dreaming War" and also in a fairly recent interview:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-1798601.html

"This isn't a country, it's an American aircraft carrier."
    Of course I did

ReputationRep:
    It was a symbiotic relationship when Bush and Reagan were in office. Now that commbama is in office Britain is nothing more than an air craft carrier. I can't wait for that waste of space to get chucked out.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.