Turn on thread page Beta

Good Student but bad performance in tests. Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    As teachers say, and my in-class performance shows that I am quite well in academic studies, ranked at top 5.
    But the problem is, my performance is low in most of the tests, even the teachers gets surprised and ask me "Why" for which I have no answer.

I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.

Can you people please help me regarding this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i have this problem. i think i need to improve my exam technique, so i give the examiners exactly what they're asking for, not whatever i'm thinking :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got crappy exam technique in essay based subjects but my sciences are top marks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you revise?

ReputationRep:
    If you've been to most of your classes and are putting a good effort into actually doing the exam with a few hours sleep the night before (at least 3, I'd say), then maybe it's just that you're not a good student academically, but are confident so come over intelligent to your teachers.

Probably as others have said exam technique. Anyone can show be knowledgeable but the examiners don't care if you know the capital of Micronesia,or how smart your teachers think you are,its applying your knowledge in the way the criteria says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Probably as others have said exam technique. Anyone can show be knowledgeable but the examiners don't care if you know the capital of Micronesia,or how smart your teachers think you are,its applying your knowledge in the way the criteria says.
    But this way education undermines our passion in gaining knowledge by limiting it to the criteria which pisses me off although it is the best way to optimise longevity in university,

ReputationRep:
    I have this issue, I need to work on exam technique to a greater extent I think.

ReputationRep:
    Can you please tell something more about "exam technique" ?

Thanks

(Original post by Stratos)
    But this way education undermines our passion in gaining knowledge by limiting it to the criteria which pisses me off although it is the best way to optimise longevity in university,
    Well it's the easiest way to ensure we only really ever learn what they want. The National Curriculum has effectively stopped any thinking outside of institutionalised views,and thats pretty much why it was established.It's a shame but just how it is.
    Remember Ignorance is Strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Well it's the easiest way to ensure we only really ever learn what they want. The National Curriculum has effectively stopped any thinking outside of institutionalised views,and thats pretty much why it was established.It's a shame but just how it is.
    Remember Ignorance is Strength.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. In class I'm always up to speed, I know all the theories and studies etc. But then when an exam paper is put in front of me, I just can't do it.

I have examinophobia

ReputationRep:
    Do you get nervous at all?

I know it's a bit different, but I can drive fine normally, but the minute anyone says 'test!' (even if it's a mock) I get incredibly panicked, stall all over the place and take on roundabouts in fourth.

Maybe you ahve a similar thing in exams?

ReputationRep:
    Eat a donkey on the day before the test.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of exam board websites have suggested answers on their websites. Also, try and read the question properly and answer the salient points.

For example, in an econ exam, if an exam question asks:

Describe the nature of an oligopolistic market form in the UK.

The prominent points here are describe, nature, oligopolistic market form and UK.

Some of the time though, it is the subjective viewpoints of the examiner that are at fault, not the student.

ReputationRep:
    depends what year are you in/what are you studying?

At A level the wording of your answers is much 'stricter'; for psychology we're told that if something does'nt 'read' as A02, we don't get any marks for A02/ This caught me off guard when I moved from GCSE to A level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite. I piss about in class, but don the tests. I am quite awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utsav55)
    As teachers say, and my in-class performance shows that I am quite well in academic studies, ranked at top 5.
    But the problem is, my performance is low in most of the tests, even the teachers gets surprised and ask me "Why" for which I have no answer.

I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.

Can you people please help me regarding this?

Thanks
    You're probably a massive geek but very unintelligent.

You come across as quite bright in lessons because you listen more, try harder and do all the work needed. Also, because you lack intelligence you probably think the answers you are giving are better than they are.

Your lack of intelligence is then exposed in test conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukaefc)
    You're probably a massive geek but very unintelligent.

You come across as quite bright in lessons because you listen more, try harder and do all the work needed. Also, because you lack intelligence you probably think the answers you are giving are better than they are.

Your lack of intelligence is then exposed in test conditions.
    So I take it you got stood up on Valentine's?

ReputationRep:
    If it's examinations in sciences and mathematics you're struggling in that would probably suggest you just need to learn the content a bit better. In essays it's all about technique, you can know everything you need to know but still fail if you don't approach things in the correct way. For example if you write an English essay without doing some analysis of language, structure and maybe context you'll get marked down even if you can discuss the ideas a text raises in a clear way.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.