Turn on thread page Beta

Good Student but bad performance in tests. Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    Revise better!

ReputationRep:
    How can you rank yourself based on "in class performance"? You're probably one of those annoying people who, say, in Maths, races through questions on a topic we've just been taught, and thinks they're amazing at it because they can regurgitate a technique quickly they learnt 10 minutes ago, then they epic fail at tests, because of course they don't realise that the main skill is recognising where and when to apply certain techniques.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    If it's examinations in sciences and mathematics you're struggling in that would probably suggest you just need to learn the content a bit better. In essays it's all about technique, you can know everything you need to know but still fail if you don't approach things in the correct way. For example if you write an English essay without doing some analysis of language, structure and maybe context you'll get marked down even if you can discuss the ideas a text raises in a clear way.
    Why do you have that smug 'yup' nodding smilie in your signature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerryTerry)
    So I take it you got stood up on Valentine's?
    It's tomorrow so I don't know yet...

ReputationRep:
    if it is just exam technique, as opposed to simply being a nerd.

then...

sort it out. as a priority, because without it you'll seriously under-represent yourself.

read mark scheme's carefully, and be concise.

ReputationRep:
    Since exam results are the main indication of a student's prowess, you can't be bad at exams and still be a good student. That's two contradicatory statements.

(Original post by utsav55)
    As teachers say, and my in-class performance shows that I am quite well in academic studies, ranked at top 5.
    But the problem is, my performance is low in most of the tests, even the teachers gets surprised and ask me "Why" for which I have no answer.

I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.

Can you people please help me regarding this?

Thanks

You didn't explain what problem you have tests, is it time mangament, memory, spelling and punctuation?
    Is there a chance you might be dyslexic?

ReputationRep:
    Do you do well in coursework?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you considered the simple explantation

You are stupid!

ReputationRep:
    nerves, see you doctor, there'll be something they can do about it to calm you down
    you might not even realise youre nervous, i had it for some exams last summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utsav55)
    As teachers say, and my in-class performance shows that I am quite well in academic studies, ranked at top 5.
    But the problem is, my performance is low in most of the tests, even the teachers gets surprised and ask me "Why" for which I have no answer.

I am not able to figure out the reason behind this.

Can you people please help me regarding this?

Thanks
    probably got stressed when exam time comes, a friend gets really good grades in classroom test, but when exam time comes, he cannot handle the pressure and forgets what he has just revised for, practise past papers in timed conditions, that might help

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have that smug 'yup' nodding smilie in your signature?
    Does it come across as smug?
    It's just there because when i got my offer it made me feel good about myself, so I've kept it to remind me of the feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Does it come across as smug?
    It looks like you want to show off and impress people. It's a tiny tiny achievement, why not come back and trumpet yourself when you've actually DONE something - not merely been given the opportunity to do something.

ReputationRep:
    Do you do past papers? If you do, you would know why you're losing marks.

If it's because you don't know the content, then you're not a 'good student'.
    If it's because you didn't get what the question was asking or what you needed to put that would get marks, it's exam technique.

The solution to the latter is to recognise from the form and wording of the question, and the marks awarded for it, to determine precisely what and how much you need to answer.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you want to show off and impress people. It's a tiny tiny achievement, why not come back and trumpet yourself when you've actually DONE something - not merely been given the opportunity to do something.
    I'm not trying to trumpet myself, your attack on me is pretty groundless, you're interpreting my actions on the basis of one smilie.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to trumpet myself, your attack on me is pretty groundless, you're interpreting my actions on the basis of one smilie.
    In the course of your studies hopefully you'll realise that small things can mean a lot. I think it's crass and I'll leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies mate. I haven't been myself for the last day - had a personal problem. I've been going around attacking people needlessly. I realised why about 4 hours ago and went for a run to chill off. I'm sorry if I offended you and looking at my posts, I was clearly just looking for a fight. I'm really sorry for being such a douche.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies mate. I haven't been myself for the last day - had a personal problem. I've been going around attacking people needlessly. I realised why about 4 hours ago and went for a run to chill off. I'm sorry if I offended you and looking at my posts, I was clearly just looking for a fight. I'm really sorry for being such a douche.
    Apology accepted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Have you considered the simple explantation

You are stupid!
    Then why among top 3 in class performance? :rolleyes:

So, that 'explantation' is wrong. :cool:

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.