Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many liberals object to the idea of a Nanny state because of the infringements on 'individual liberty'. However, is this really a strong argument against an invasive state?

For example, should we really allow disabled people to reproduce if there's a high chance that those disabilities will be passed on to the children? Should we allow people to harm themselves with drugs and junk food? Should smoking be banned? Should people be forced to eat a certain amount of healthy food if this puts less strain on the NHS? Should the state re-educate people if they are homophobic, sexist or racist? If huge increases in surveillance led to a far lower crime rate, why should we be opposed to it? Is it really so bad having security cameras on every street corner?

Those are just some examples. Is the liberal insistence on idividual liberty just wishful thinking? Isn't it true that people simply don't know what's best for them and aren't smokers/obese people a good example of that?

These aren't necessarily my views, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    ...Should the state re-educate people if they are homophobic, sexist or racist? ...
    I wanna see that happening. Joking ... everyone has the right to have his/her own views.
    And what do you mean saying re-educate - force them to accept ideas so alien to them... that is simply against free will.
    I have the right to be homophobic, sexist and racist at the same time!

And btw your idea is stupid.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Those are just some examples. Is the liberal insistence on idividual liberty just wishful thinking? Isn't it true that people simply don't know what's best for them and aren't smokers/obese people a good example of that?
    In the real world the government's insistence on a nanny state is wishful thinking. The smoking ban put pubs out of business and a few people stopped smoking, but the people who want to smoke are still doing it. Did drug use stop when drugs were banned? Did it even slow down? What happens when you can only get burgers on the black market? You think eating will go down? People are free whether the government endorses it or not. They can't reeducate me, not because it's wrong but because it won't work.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.