Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does it matter which university you get your degree from? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, now i've got your attention from title, i actually have an important question to ask.

I've heard that it doesn't matter now which university you go to, just as long as you get a first. Apparently, employers won't be able to know which university you went to, so does it actually matter if you get a first from Oxbridge or Essex Uni?

Secondly, this is with respect to my first question, I have 4 offers for my course, should I look at overall Uni or individually?

Offers range from Notts to Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Employers WILL know which university you went to - you'll be putting it on your CV!

Don't base your course choice on the university status though, please. Base it on how much YOU like each individual university and course. YOU make yourself employable.

They will definitely know which university you've attended! You should look at each course and university separately and make an informed decision on where you want to go
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by f1 boss)
    Ok, now i've got your attention from title, i actually have an important question to ask.
    Don't try to trick people into viewing your thread, please. It will only annoy them, and your thread will get renamed anyway, so you may as well give it a descriptive title to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Don't try to trick people into viewing your thread, please. It will only annoy them, and your thread will get renamed anyway, so you may as well give it a descriptive title to begin with.

So you think this is not important....in fact it's one of the most important question's about universities...it is not misleading in anyway. ......
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So you think this is not important....in fact it's one of the most important question's about universities...it is not misleading in anyway. ......
    Well, it may be for YOU, but that doesn't mean it is for the rest of the world...

ReputationRep:
    Here is another angle - will a solid first from an ex-polytechnic be seen more favourably than a 2:1 from a redbrick.

ReputationRep:
    And so begins another round of snobbishness and insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    What is the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wyrd14)
    And so begins another round of snobbishness and insecurity.
    And yet another person pointlessly states on how this question is going to turn into being a "round of snobbishness and insecurity."

ReputationRep:
    It will be hard to get a firm answer for this on TSR; a website mostly populated by students(the Student room after all) taking A-Levels or GCSEs who have never really experienced the world of graduate employment.

Also, your question is really quite vague, it varies a lot from field to field. I've heard that for those reading Law your universities reputation is paramount ,whereas for Medicine it makes little to no difference as long as you get into a course.

Alongside this, pretty much everything everyone above has said is true. You will be writing down which university you got your degree from in your CV and a 2:1 from say Warwick is going to be more employable than a 1st from Teeside in 95% of situations.

ReputationRep:
    you better not be mocking essex, when its on par with oxbridge in a few subjects

or you know you could pick a uni that is good for you, and the course is well taught and stuff like that, the course important to it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nahdrav)
    It will be hard to get a firm answer for this on TSR; a website mostly populated by students(the Student room after all) taking A-Levels or GCSEs who have never really experienced the world of graduate employment.

Also, your question is really quite vague, it varies a lot from field to field. I've heard that for those reading Law your universities reputation is paramount ,whereas for Medicine it makes little to no difference as long as you get into a course.

Alongside this, pretty much everything everyone above has said is true. You will be writing down which university you got your degree from in your CV and a 2:1 from say Warwick is going to be more employable than a 1st from Teeside in 95% of situations.

I'm applying for Accounting and Finance, offers from Manc (AAB), Notts (AAB), Sheff (ABB), and Durham (ABB). 100% sure that in today's time, you still write university in CV, I heard all this new thing about equal rights between getting a first at top uni or bottom uni.

(Original post by robinson999)
    you better not be mocking essex, when its on par with oxbridge in a few subjects

or you know you could pick a uni that is good for you, and the course is well taught and stuff like that, the course important to it all
    No, I live in Essex.

ReputationRep:

I've heard that it doesn't matter now which university you go to, just as long as you get a first. Apparently, employers won't be able to know which university you went to, so does it actually matter if you get a first from Oxbridge or Essex Uni?

Secondly, this is with respect to my first question, I have 4 offers for my course, should I look at overall Uni or individually?

Offers range from Notts to Durham.
    The prestige of a university isn't just about employment prospects (although as has already been pointed out, for most jobs the employer will know your university). It's also about the calibre of your peers and teaching staff. It's like when you were put into different classes in high school based on your ability, if you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The prestige of a university isn't just about employment prospects (although as has already been pointed out, for most jobs the employer will know your university). It's also about the calibre of your peers and teaching staff. It's like when you were put into different classes in high school based on your ability, if you like.
    Thats a terrible analogy. Most don't go to university A over university B based solely on their grades. There are many factors which influence choice.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it would matter. I would imagine that comparitvely "bad" universities would be easier to get a First at than comparitively "good" universities, as it would be easier to be placed within the top x%.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In short: Yes it matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    Thats a terrible analogy. Most don't go to university A over university B based solely on their grades. There are many factors which influence choice.
    There are definitely other factors but I wouldn't say it's a terrible analogy. The calibre of students and teaching staff is generally going to be better at Oxford or Cambridge than Durham, where the calibre of students and staff is probably going to be better than Nottingham. If this weren't true, then A grade students would apply to ex-polys because they like the course and city, but overwhelmingly they don't.

ReputationRep:
    On TSR, the opinion would be yes. In the real world, the answer is no. Of course im generalising for the majority, where only a small number of employers discriminate in this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacuous)
    will a solid first from an ex-polytechnic be seen more favourably than a 2:1 from a redbrick.
    I'd actually quite like to hear an opinion on this?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.