Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does it matter which university you get your degree from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    What are trying to prove here? Do you think that certain universities withhold vital parts of subjects, so that so called lesser institutions cannot teach their undergraduates them?
    in general, the better universities have students that can cover work quicker.

all unis cover roughly the same stuff, just the better ones go into more depth, an/or study additional stuff in the 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Even still... when I see people who have got awards for being top in their country in A Levels, go to Cambridge, do 50 hours of work a week or whatever the ridiculous workload is, and come out with a 2.1. Then see a completely average student go to an ex-poly do a large amount of work, yes, but nothing compared to the Cambridge student, but get a First... I mean, such things cannot be proven properly, but it certainly seems like it would be harder to get Firsts at the top universities.

I mean, to get into Oxbridge, Durham, LSE, etc, you have to be one of the top students anyway. And most of them get 2.1.s To get into an expoly, you don't exactly have to be as intelligent. And yet people there will get Firsts, despite probably the vast majority of the Oxbridge/Durham/LSE people being more intelligent than them. I'm aware intelligent people will go to ex-polys too, no shame in that. But not to the same level that intelligent people will go to the "top" universities.
    This could be said for any number of different degrees. Some degrees require more work than others. Also, you don't need to put in rediculous amounts of time on subjects that you understand. So which out of the two do you think was struggling?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what subject tbh. If it's like english or something that generic then I wouldn't think it mattered (unless you were at Oxbridge..) but places like law or medicine it would probably matter a little more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacuous)
    1/3rd of students is a sick amount (inflated(?)) - in most ex-polys the statistic for passing with a 2:1 is a lot lower than for Oxbridge, and often only 1 or 2 students in the year will get a first - so it could add up.
    if this is true, then I take back what I said.

ReputationRep:
    This could be said for any number of different degrees. Some degrees require more work than others. Also, you don't need to put in rediculous amounts of time on subjects that you understand. So which out of the two do you think was struggling?
    I don't understand your point. :p:

I could be wrong here anyway, I don't exactly have much experience of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    in general, the better universities have students that can cover work quicker.

all unis cover roughly the same stuff, just the better ones go into more depth, an/or study additional stuff in the 3rd year.
    I very much doubt the first part is true, and which are these better universities, what range are you implying?

Again you have no basis to prove the second part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I don't understand your point. :p:

I could be wrong here anyway, I don't exactly have much experience of this.
    I'm saying that maybe one peaked in their A-levels and is now unable to cope with their university work and perhaps the other has come good

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go to the university that I like the look the most, the one where I will enjoy myself, enjoy the course and fill like it's worth my money, not whether it will look good on my CV, I have spent 7 years at a school that is deemed the worst in my area and coped ok. Also at the moment my 1st choice uni is the one that requires the lowest grades, this could all change as I have yet to visit them. But go with your heart OP and not league tables and others opinions, it's your life, your choice and most off all your money you are investing. Make sure you'll be happy there

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt the first part is true, and which are these better universities, what range are you implying?

Again you have no basis to prove the second part.
    I don't how many universities there are. but say, the students in the top 5 percentile of unis will definitely cover work quicker than students in the bottom 10 percentile.

At cambridge (again, I don't want to seem like Im bragging, I just don't want to seem like Im talking about stuff I dont know), we only have 20 weeks of lecturing a year. and in maths, we've covered in 2 years what it takes every other uni to do in 3 years. In the 3rd year we have a bazillion different option.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying that maybe one peaked in their A-levels and is now unable to cope with their university work and perhaps the other has come good
    Lmao. There is no way the expoly guy was more intelligent. No chance. I think that's incredibly naive - the Cambridge course is clearly massively more difficult. All Cambridge students are expected to put in ridiculous amounts of hours each week to keep up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Lmao. There is no way the expoly guy was more intelligent. No chance. I think that's incredibly naive - the Cambridge course is clearly massively more difficult. All Cambridge students are expected to put in ridiculous amounts of hours each week to keep up.
    so true. 20 weeks of lecturing a year is a good idea for about 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough, I will accept that at Cam and Ox there may be an exception. But in the sense of all other institutions I think the point holds true. (of course just like Cam and Ox there will be their inverse at the very bottom)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    In short: Yes it matters.
    when are you updating your sig

ReputationRep:
    makes no difference, what makes the difference is the ability, eagerness and willingness to learn, and develop

a strong willed, able, determined, motivated, enthusiastic student with a first from <insert crap uni here > will get a job over a lazy oxford / cambridge uni student who is lazy and un willing to learn and has no enthusiasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    makes no difference, what makes the difference is the ability, eagerness and willingness to learn, and develop

a strong willed, able, determined, motivated, enthusiastic student with a first from <insert crap uni here > will get a job over a lazy oxford / cambridge uni student who is lazy and un willing to learn and has no enthusiasm
    Sounds pretty uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    After speaking to different friends and relatives in the graduate market I have come to the conclusion that it can. I mean with the amount of 2:1s coming out of Universities nowadays employers have to find a way to differentiate between candidates. Sort of like how there are UCAS point requirements on some jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    Sounds pretty uncommon.
    ok but i am sure there are students from "lesser" unis who show more desire to learn and achieve than some other candidates from top unis

i gurantee you

its not the university who will be doing the job - it would be the individual

i for one wouldnt worry for one minute about applying for a job with those types of studets applying aswell. On top of this i go to a "lesser" uni

ReputationRep:
    Yes it doesss, in my opinion there are probably 6 classes of unis:

The world class (Oxbridge,LSE etc.)
    The excellent (Bristol, arguably Loughborough, King's College etc.)
    The good (Aston, East Anglia etc.)
    The average (Brunel, Bradford etc.)
    The bad (Cumbria, Lincoln)
    and the ugly (BNU, London South Banks etc.)

This imo is probably how employers would view it if you got a first from these universities although of course this is an average and it'd depend upon the subject as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    ok but i am sure there are students from "lesser" unis who show more desire to learn and achieve than some other candidates from top unis

i gurantee you

its not the university who will be doing the job - it would be the individual

i for one wouldnt worry for one minute applying for a job with those types of studets applying also. and i go to a "lesser" uni
    I agree.

I personally - not trying to boast - believe, given the circumstances, I would be capable of going to Oxbridge.

However, my current circumstances do not allow me.

I would need to do an extra year in school (i'm in Scotland) and I really just want to get out in the real world as soon as I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Yes it doesss, in my opinion there are probably 6 classes of unis:

The world class (Oxbridge,LSE etc.)
    The excellent (Bristol, arguably Loughborough, King's College etc.)
    The good (Aston, East Anglia etc.)
    The average (Brunel, Bradford etc.)
    The bad (Cumbria, Lincoln)
    and the ugly (BNU, London South Banks etc.)

This imo is probably how employers would view it if you got a first from these universities although of course this is an average and it'd depend upon the subject as well.

What about Dundee or Heriot Wat? LOL, if you've even heard of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.