Turn on thread page Beta

Does it matter which university you get your degree from? watch

ReputationRep:
    Right thanks for the 10 years old news article which is almost completely lacking in content and is unbalanced in its reporting - all firms say that they don't care which university, you go to but they look at the candidate - the only firm quoted said exactly that. The top firms have a minimum standard of ABB/AAB - it's not a bloody secret, you cannot apply unless you have 300/320 UCAS points - that obviously rules out some universities, including polys. My 'myth' comment was in response to which university you go to is paramount and of supreme importance for law, but not for medicine - it's utter tosh. As long as it's good, read top 20/30, it doesn't matter too much. Been through the application process as have my friends; I'd bet anything you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    So, St. Andrews, Durham and York are all "lesser universities", and Sussex, Bath, Essex, Exeter, Leicester, Queen Mary and so on belong in the same band ("lesser universities") as Thames Valley and London Met?

Using the Russell Group to prove university reputation is always facile.
    No obviously not. It didnt come out right, of course there are "bands" as it were below RG unis. Employers intuitively know which are the good institutions, and many of them are RG, thats all.

ReputationRep:
    Going back to the earlier question of does a 1st at an ex poly look better than a 2:1 at a redbrick, then I'd say yes it does. It might not look better than a 2:1 from a top tier university but when graduate recruiters are looking through forms, pretty much everybody who is applying has either got or is predicted a 2:1 from a redbrick or one of the other well established unis. Having a 1st does set you out as something different even if it was from one of the newer institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerryTerry)
    Right thanks for the 10 years old news article which is almost completely lacking in content and is unbalanced in its reporting - all firms say that they don't care which university, you go to but they look at the candidate - the only firm quoted said exactly that. The top firms have a minimum standard of ABB/AAB - it's not a bloody secret, you cannot apply unless you have 300/320 UCAS points - that obviously rules out some universities, including polys. My 'myth' comment was in response to which university you go to is paramount and of supreme importance for law, but not for medicine - it's utter tosh. As long as it's good, read top 20/30, it doesn't matter too much. Been through the application process as have my friends; I'd bet anything you haven't.
    Soz Terry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Soz Terry!
    I'm sorry I was so unnecessarily aggressive; I'm in a bad mood today. My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday Don't want to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah reading that post back made me realise I need to go out and run this off. God - really sorry for acting like such a twit!

ReputationRep:
    My dad has been told to his face by interviewers that he got an interview because he went to Oxford. In that respect, I think it maybe does have some kind of effect
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    Tell me what is at the end of your signature, I spent 10 minutes uncovering them all but still nothing!
    'I have had a number of complaints from people who have wasted their time clicking all the way to the end of my signature, only to discover that there was, after all, no delicious candy in the middle. Thus, I would like to point out to all you who have nothing better to do than search for delightful signature-candy that it isn't my fault you wasted 5 minutes of your life, searching for sugary-sweet candy that I already told you wasn't there, and you should http://www.bestbuycandy.com/ Off you go!'

Took me about a minute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byronage)
    It isn't my opinion it's a perspective that people in industry can have to those in academia.
    Well there are probably a wide diaspora of opinions on academia in 'industry' (to be honest, in my experience people either know enough to know better or don't even think about it), but I don't see what that really has to do with recruiting graduates. I don't think that the judgements made by people on working academics is really at all applicable to first degree graduates, regardless of degree class. If someone does well in their degree then this is by and large seen as a positive (I would say almost universally, unless you are applying for jobs that you are over-qualified for). Of course it has to be part of a rounded CV if you want to be a stand out candidate for a graduate position. I want to see evidence that you are intelligent, motivated and know what a proper day's work means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    My dad has been told to his face by interviewers that he got an interview because he went to Oxford. In that respect, I think it maybe does have some kind of effect
    And when was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1 boss)
    Ok, now i've got your attention from title, i actually have an important question to ask.

I've heard that it doesn't matter now which university you go to, just as long as you get a first. Apparently, employers won't be able to know which university you went to, so does it actually matter if you get a first from Oxbridge or Essex Uni?

Secondly, this is with respect to my first question, I have 4 offers for my course, should I look at overall Uni or individually?

Offers range from Notts to Durham.
    No..its really important, it can make the difference whether you get the job or not!

ReputationRep:
    Some courses are uncommon, so you have a very limited choice as to where to go to start off with. In that situation, it would matter much less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Some courses are uncommon, so you have a very limited choice as to where to go to start off with. In that situation, it would matter much less.
    I didn't know MARJONs offered a speech and language therapy degree - is it a new course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Because that does nothing to dispel the myth your all arrogant [email protected]

Anyway, OP; yes it does matter, but not half as much as people on TSR will generally have you believe. People employ people, they do not employ grades or degrees. If you are a well rounded individual who can talk the talk in an interview and are generally a likeable person then it is a much much bigger advantage than being from a better uni.

The way I (and most employers) see it there are different "classes" of uni. You have Oxbridge who are academically the best, then you have the Russell Group, then you have a larger group of lesser universities. The difference between selection, generally, between Russell Group Uni's is bugger all. It wont make that much of a difference if you go to Warwick or Newcastle for the majority of courses. However, Warwick is known for certain subjects, such as business, and employers will target Warwick students from the business school, so if you wanted to do work in the City, Warwick does have an advantage. For the more general degrees - maths, biology, etc, the difference is negliable.

On the whole it comes down to you as a person rather than which uni you go to, provided you are at a reasonably good insitution.
    nothing arrogant about stating the truth! we are are the majority at top law firms. I didnt say we were better....just that we get employed more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    I didn't know MARJONs offered a speech and language therapy degree - is it a new course?
    Not that I know of...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    It depends what subject tbh. If it's like english or something that generic then I wouldn't think it mattered (unless you were at Oxbridge..) but places like law or medicine it would probably matter a little more.
    It would be grate if you could reply to my question .
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1567689

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nahdrav)
    Alongside this, pretty much everything everyone above has said is true. You will be writing down which university you got your degree from in your CV and a 2:1 from say Warwick is going to be more employable than a 1st from Teeside in 95% of situations.
    How can you say that when Teesside has arguably one of the best Chemical Engineering department at any uni? The computing department is most likely even better, from general opinion..

Where are you basing your information from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1 boss)
    Ok, now i've got your attention from title, i actually have an important question to ask.

I've heard that it doesn't matter now which university you go to, just as long as you get a first. Apparently, employers won't be able to know which university you went to, so does it actually matter if you get a first from Oxbridge or Essex Uni?

Secondly, this is with respect to my first question, I have 4 offers for my course, should I look at overall Uni or individually?

Offers range from Notts to Durham.
    It does not matter at all provided it is a well put together course honestly, so just about any university in the UK atm is good although there is a lot of hearsay about certain institutions. The bull**** on this forum is unreal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newyork Nagaram...)
    It would be grate if you could reply to my question .
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1567689
    Please don't bump year-old threads. Thank you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.