Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my final year 11 GCSE Art/Photography project. The theme is "Work, Rest and Play".

I have alot of ideas for some of the pages for each subject, and i'm trying to make each page interesting and unique.

Have you got any ideas on what will make an A/A* art sketchbook? What things are best to include to achieve the higher grades?

I have to do 4-6 pages on each subject,
    and then start the development/final piece ideas. What shall I include on these pages? What type of things should i use or add in my sketchbook to get the higher marks?

Thank you for any one who comments with suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in art so I can help you.

You have to loootttttsssss of artist research and relate it back to ur own work- how it links and what ideas u get from their work etc etc.

Also, doing lots of experimentation of different materials and explaining how u found using each technique was (pros, cons, will u ever use it again, that sort of thing) will show the examiner that ur able to explore a range of materials.

Also to show developement towards you final piece, you could take pictures of each process that u take to producing it and analyse it in ur sketchbook whilst explaining what u found difficult, if you had any inital ideas and u changed them-if so why?...this will show the examiner that you are able to analyse your own work which is what they are looking for at A*/A grade, as well as good drawing technique.

Not to mention PRIMARY RESEARCH IS KEY!!! Try going to some art mueseums and taking pictures or doing some quick sketches of what you see that relates to ur topic and EXPLAIN what the pictures are, who they are by etc and HOW they are going to influence ur work.

Hope that helps u, PM me if anything

ReputationRep:
    If you're bad at drawing, analyse a lot and track your work. However, if you are an exceptionally good artist, I mean really good then you'll probably achieve that A/A* without annotating to much.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt an amazing artist but managed to get an A* by using a lot of differet materials and doing a lot of artist analyses and relating your work to those artists as someone above said.
    that and doing a lot of work, just a lot of sketches etc

ReputationRep:
    You should read the brief they usually give you a table of what it takes to get a C, B, A.

ReputationRep:
    I got A* in art last year.. my advice is just to look at the mark scheme and jump through the hoops if an A* is what you're looking for. Creativity doesn't give you that much so don't spend too much time trying to make every page unique. However I would recommend quality over quantity - half way through my art course one of my art teachers went psycho and retired and it turns out all the work we did in her class was useless. The theme was "man-made". At one point she insisted to me that ghosts were manmade... despite being classed as "supernatural" she also thought we should deaw tiles with FLOWERS on.. anyway point is by the end of two years i had nearly finished one sketchbook and a quarter of a sketch book on a new theme as well as exam book. I think 4-6 pages is too much on each subject, 4 max probably. that will give you twelve and put around 4 into development for your final piece. make sure you make your final piece very much related to the work you have done before, just pick up any similarities even ones u didn't intend e.g. (my final piece is very dark b/c work on this page.. was dark and i liked the effect. just bs) and make sure u use variety of MEDIA, ARTISTS and TECHNICAL WORDS and decent annotation. PM me if you're wondering anything else

edit; also don't work much on the presentation/layout e.g. nice handwriting cus that doesnt give you anything at gcse. just make sure it is readable and clear to the examiner.. dont write massive blocks of annotation because examiners cba to read it

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for your comments/suggestions

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in art even though i only did about 7 a3 pages total! (we were given the paper late and then i was undecisive, basically it was all last minute). I think the key was i made brainstorms and tooks loads of photos myself of various aspects along the way and all my artist studies/research was linked back to my own thoughts and developed upon. My point is it really is just about quality developement that covers all the important bits. In most case all i did was a little a5 study of an artist and wrote just a paragraph about why i'd looked at them a little goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand if you not only develop your ideas but you also need to show that you have experimented with different types of media is well. you also need to make sure to the examiner that you have showed a link between your final piece and your development.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2016

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.