Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, the first impression is the only impression, and I always give people the once-over just to see how what they're wearing is worth. I always used to feel quite threatened when other girls talked to my boyfriend because he's extremely good-looking, but now I find that when I give them a quick glance and see Primark shoes or a Matalan top, and instantly I don't feel as bad lol. OK I know I sound a bit shallow, but do you ever give people the once-over to quickly total up what they're wearing?

ReputationRep:
    For me it's not where they got the clothes from but their actual style and how they put it together. Someone can look absolutely amazing kitted out head to toe in oxfam and someone else could make gucci/chanel look really tasteless. Money cant buy you an eye for style.
    I do admit I do judge people a little bit on style. I'm rightfully ashamed, but admitted it nevertheless. Other things liken overweight seem to offend other people much more than it offends me though. I quite like a bit of chub on women, although I'm pretty average myself.

ReputationRep:
    To some degree, yes.

Not in terms of fashion, but more in terms of how neatly they are dressed, and their countenance. If a person wears non-fashionable clothes, I don't care. But if they were shabby/scruffy/n-word clothes, then yes I would judge them.

ReputationRep:
    yeah a bit, i know i shouldn't but sometimes, i can look at some one and think what were you thinking, or wow they look good, but i try not to let if effect my opinion of them. I know we all have bad days and i know that somepeople don't care as much about how they look. I think people who wear theur clothes with confidence regardless of what they are, make the best impression.

though i must admit about 2yrs ago i went through a phase of judging guys by their shoes. I guess is was because all my guy mates at the time had quite interesting/unique shoes, so i would always check shoes. Ones that were clearly from top man were a big no no!

ReputationRep:
    I do notice clothes pretty quick. Not labels or where they're from - I'd never know anyway unless I'd bought the same thing at some point - since I don't knwo many people who can afford good stuff and I don't think being able to buy brands makes you any better of a person anyway. I do, however, notice style - particularly accessories, because I do think how you chose to present yourself to the world says something about you.

ReputationRep:
    i look at what other girls are wearing cos it just seems so natural to do...but am never bothered by what a guy is wearing...

ReputationRep:
    I like to see what other girls wear, but no, i don't judge.

ReputationRep:
    your username suits you to be honest.

LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Why is she being a *****? It's not as if most persons don't judge.

ReputationRep:
    I do. But not in the way you'd think. I prefer if people are wearing what's clearly comfortable and not wearing it just to be fashionable or just because it's got some stupid brand name across it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Why is she being a *****? It's not as if most persons don't judge.
    Mainly because she looks down on people who don't wear high fashion brands.

ReputationRep:
    Totally, the people I judge most harshly are those who are inappropriately dressed for the weather, fat girls in bodycon, Jack Wills aficionados, and people who seem to make a negative amount of effort, ie. they actually go to lengths to make themselves look ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    For me it's not where they got the clothes from but their actual style and how they put it together. Someone can look absolutely amazing kitted out head to toe in oxfam and someone else could make gucci/chanel look really tasteless. Money cant buy you an eye for style.
    I do admit I do judge people a little bit on style. I'm rightfully ashamed, but admitted it nevertheless. Other things liken overweight seem to offend other people much more than it offends me though. I quite like a bit of chub on women, although I'm pretty average myself.
    This is a much better stance than the OP's... She obviously feels insecure and is trying to make herself feel better by finding something wrong with other people... I'm sure those girls in Primark and Matalan clothes look stylish... OP just has the need to be above everyone else... Remember OP what goes around comes around!

And no, I don't judge people by how much money they've spent on their clothes... which is essentially what you do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I judge but I know that I find what people wear interesting. I probably judge scruffiness but not really fashion sense. I just have an interest in that because it can tell me something about a person.

ReputationRep:
    Im rubbish at brands, but i look to see if I like what theyre wearing, if it suits them etc...
    ... it is only a first impression, which i dismiss if i meet them properly, but I think its normal to have some kind of judgement...

ReputationRep:
    I can only afford primark, asda, matalan and peacocks. It's not the brand it's how you wear it.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Clothing is just one of the many facets of a person's personality; I think you can tell a lot about a person from how they present themselves. And as many others have reiterated, I am more interested in the overall look than the individual brands (no brownie points for wearing Loubountin shoes; sorry girls).

ReputationRep:
    I do. What they are wearing as well as how they are wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    I judge on styles, seeing as a lot of a person's character is in their style. But as far as labels go, I don't care. If anything, I'm a bit wary of students who splash their loan out on expensive clothes, it's a huge waste for money that isn't really theirs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.