Turn on thread page Beta

Do you judge people on their clothes? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what top is from Primark, and which from Matalan if you don't frequent those shops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    You seem to be placing a very small amount of importance on this. It actually affects you much more than you'd think.

Like I said, people judge you on how you look. They shouldn't, but they do. Making an effort isn't much of an effort when you consider the payoff.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Yes along with body language

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says they don't is lying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glass*****)
    IMHO, the first impression is the only impression, and I always give people the once-over just to see how what they're wearing is worth. I always used to feel quite threatened when other girls talked to my boyfriend because he's extremely good-looking, but now I find that when I give them a quick glance and see Primark shoes or a Matalan top, and instantly I don't feel as bad lol. OK I know I sound a bit shallow, but do you ever give people the once-over to quickly total up what they're wearing?
    a lot of people must judge based on how much their clothes are worth i have learnt this from experience people who i know are always adding up how much each item i'm wearing costs, I do look at people's clothes but to see if i like something they are wearing and will ask how much it was just out of curiosity and conversation really so not really judging i just really really like clothes and wearing a few grands worth of clothes out helps a little bit with my self confidence in all honesty

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said It's how you wear it. Even though they are designer, UGG boots KILL any outfit. Sorry...had to get the UGG thing in.

ReputationRep:
    Generally to see their style rather than the where their clothes came from. These people who follow every single trend always make me think they're really rather fickle. People who wear what they want and look good in it are the people who i think 'yes, you look like you'd be interesting to talk to'. That's on girls though. For guys I find i can't judge like that so well so it goes onto a mixture of what they wear, their hair and generally how they act. Saying that though, the whole tracksuit thing i find is quite easy to judge people on though. If they're obviously not going to or coming back from working out then i generally put them into a lazy/slob catagory.

Probably not great but frankly, you have to judge people somehow otherwise you'd just have to talk to everyone you met and that's not on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Why not?
    Because there may very well be a genuinely great character in a ****** outfit somewhere. Still, I initially judge everyone based upon their appearance, making this slightly hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango24)
    Like others have said It's how you wear it. Even though they are designer, UGG boots KILL any outfit. Sorry...had to get the UGG thing in.
    Agreed. They're terrible terrible things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango24)
    You've seen the light. Now spread the word to every other woman!

ReputationRep:
    I judge them if they look chavvy. Otherwise couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    N-word as in chavvy/low-class.
    I don't get that, the "N-Word" is commonly substitited for the word used to belittle black people so just say the C or L-C word to avoid confusion next time...

But Ps: i think you mispoke (and your explanation now is frankly pretty dum) but to be honest, i don't know you so i might have jumped the gun a bit for calling you a racist troll... and for that i'm sorry, was kinda hurt a little :o: I think now looking back, what you said before was honest of how you see things (even though it's hard to hear being half black), if i'm honest your probably not alone and before i go into a whole rant about how conditioning f's people up i'll just shut up =T...

ReputationRep:
    It's natural to do so ... and I'm just in the middle of judging their clothing when I remember that anyone who did it to me would get the complete wrong impression, so I try to erase my judgements and say hello, talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, though if someone is wearing Ugg boots and Jack Wills it tends to negatively affect my opinion of them until I speak to them properly. I wouldn't not talk to someone on that basis, but it does have a subconscious effect.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are judgmental to the extreme, how can you look at someones clothes to form an accurate impression of them. You will go through life never really knowing anybody with that attitude.

I agree that it's nice to see someone well dressed, but that doesn't mean a damn thing about how they are as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwurly)
    I don't get that, the "N-Word" is commonly substitited for the word used to belittle black people so just say the C or L-C word to avoid confusion next time...
    Short term memory?

ReputationRep:
    No - not at all.
    And yes you do sound shallow, it doesn't show feelings, personality. What people say and do, does.
    And it sounds like the way you judge is all about money, as if some ones lack of money stops them from achieving what you can like getting with your boyfriend. But hey thats just you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    Of course. Why wouldn't you?

Everyone judges a book by their cover, and first impressions mean everything.
    I dont judge a book by it's cover, I'm not as shallow as you are.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjhall)
    No - not at all.
    And yes you do sound shallow, it doesn't show feelings, personality. What people say and do, does.
    And it sounds like the way you judge is all about money, as if some ones lack of money stops them from achieving what you can like getting with your boyfriend. But hey thats just you
    Nobody say anything about appearing wealthy. I could easily buy an outfit for about £50 and still look good. You sound like you're just making excuses.

I don't think it sounds shallow at all. Go to your next job interview wearing ripped jeans and a coffee-stained blouse and see how far your personality and feelings get you.

ReputationRep:
    yes if they're wearing designer or branded clothes I just think what a tosser/chav that is a complete sheep.....that's for women/men and any race.

apart from branded trainers....that seems the only thing I find acceptable....I think you genuinely kind of do need to pay more for footwear and the branded stuff is better in design and quality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.