Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like I will never get a job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My gap year has been a waste of time.

I tried to get a Christmas job, but I couldn't. Since the beginning of January I have been giving out CVs anywhere that would take them, but have only gotten one interview. Tesco and Asda have no vacancies (been going there every two weeks).

The only experience I have is the work experience placement in Year 10 (retail). But everyone has to start somewhere. Everyone I know either started in retail or a supermarket.

If I can't get a job when I can do any hours, what are the chances of me getting a part time one when I am at university?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing since August. Really wish I hadn't taken the gap year also lol.

Its okay, theres only 150 applicants per job apparently... if you keep trying you will find something.

At least thats the bs I'm being told.

ReputationRep:
    did you get any feedback as to why they rejected you?

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends where you go to university and where you live now...some places have the jobs, some don't. Maybe try do some voluntary work it would look good.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried online for jobs... on the job centre? I found theres always a fair few on there... hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    did you get any feedback as to why they rejected you?
    Nope. Even the one interview I had with Footlocker, they never called back. So I just assumed I didn't the job.

ReputationRep:
    Network.

Ask family and friends if they have any jobs going at their places. If you sign on at the job centre, ask about FJF(Future job fund) vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    I know you want to work but might i suggest going on jobseeker's allowance. That way you can get money and also, the job centre will help you find work.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing some voluntary work, so your gap year isn't really wasted? This will improve your prospects of getting a job in the short term and also look good on your CV in the future when you come to look for graduate positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Nothing since August. Really wish I hadn't taken the gap year also lol.

Its okay, theres only 150 applicants per job apparently... if you keep trying you will find something.

At least thats the bs I'm being told.
    Yep. Waste of a gap year lol.

It annoys me when I hear about people getting a job so easily. My uncle told me one of my friends who is 17 and has no experience applied to a retail store in Central London and they called him back the same day, gave him an interview and he got the job (WTF!)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Look everywhere you can for jobs, shop windows, websites, by asking people you know, agencies. Last year it took me over 90 applications to get a job and at times I just lost all motivation, but you do need to keep trying.
    See if you can volunteer in a charity shop to get some more experience. Also, Primark apparently employs a lot of people who don't have experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Lettuce)
    My gap year has been a waste of time.

I tried to get a Christmas job, but I couldn't. Since the beginning of January I have been giving out CVs anywhere that would take them, but have only gotten one interview. Tesco and Asda have no vacancies (been going there every two weeks).

The only experience I have is the work experience placement in Year 10 (retail). But everyone has to start somewhere. Everyone I know either started in retail or a supermarket.

If I can't get a job when I can do any hours, what are the chances of me getting a part time one when I am at university?
    omg story of my life!!! i've applied for and got rejected from tesco 4 (yes, 4) times since this godawful 'gap year' began and seems like nowhere has any jobs going. worst thing is its preventing me from doing stuff later in my gap year, like travelling or whatever, cos ive got no freakin funds with which to do it. and all the while my best friends are hundreds of miles away living it up at uni, all seem to have more money (and more of a life) than me, and theyre students!
    sorry to rant, just thought id let you know youre not alone!!!

ReputationRep:
    Getting a part-time job in London is so easy.

There's dozens of agencies constantly hiring staff for events and I guarantee (almost) that if you start calling around on Monday, you could be going to work a week from Monday.

ReputationRep:
    If you've only tried retail, lower your expectations. Try corner shops, take-aways, chippies, fast food restaurants etc. Or as someone else said, do some voluntary work to boost your CV.

ReputationRep:
    So what you've done is started a gap year without a job placement somewhere? Why didn't you get a placement before you started your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    www.gumtree.com www.retailchoice.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    Look everywhere you can for jobs, shop windows, websites, by asking people you know, agencies. Last year it took me over 90 applications to get a job and at times I just lost all motivation, but you do need to keep trying.
    See if you can volunteer in a charity shop to get some more experience. Also, Primark apparently employs a lot of people who don't have experience.
    They do? . On the online application form, it asked for my employment history and said they couldn't process my application if I didn't fill it in. So I didn't apply because one week work experience doesn't count as employment history apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    If you've only tried retail, lower your expectations. Try corner shops, take-aways, chippies, fast food restaurants etc. Or as someone else said, do some voluntary work to boost your CV.
    I did try KFC. But they rejected me really fast . I guess I should try more fast food places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Lettuce)
    They do? . On the online application form, it asked for my employment history and said they couldn't process my application if I didn't fill it in. So I didn't apply because one week work experience doesn't count as employment history apparently.
    They definitely do, I know a few people who got their first job at Primark. Try BHS too, it's generally pretty easy to get a job there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    They definitely do, I know a few people who got their first job at Primark. Try BHS too, it's generally pretty easy to get a job there.
    Did they apply online or what? Because if it's their first job, how did they get past the employment history part? It wouldn't let me get pass that part unless I put my last job.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.