Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like I will never get a job watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Lettuce)
    Did they apply online or what? Because if it's their first job, how did they get past the employment history part? It wouldn't let me get pass that part unless I put my last job.
    Hmm, I'm not sure. Try just handing your CV in in-store? Or just write "n/a" in employment history?

ReputationRep:
    i had a gap year and also struggled to find a job (this was 4 years ago though lol)

register with LOADSSSSSSSSSSSS of agencies, like register with 2 a day and tell them that you'll do anything and you're really flexible

i also did camp america, which i'd recommend for you. it's a good way to spend your summer and you could be out of the country come may doing something fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Hmm, I'm not sure. Try just handing your CV in in-store? Or just write "n/a" in employment history?
    It said I had to provide a certain level of detail which included who my employer was, my salary etc. If I didn't do that, it wouldn't be processed .

I haven't tried giving my CV to them because I assumed that that they don't take in CVs and tell me to do it online. Next doesn't take CVs either.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a quick look on the Primark website, and there is an option to download an application form rather than filling in the online one. I would think most jobs would have the option to fill in paper copies, because otherwise they would be discriminating against people who couldn't fill in online applications for whatever reason. Have a search around websites (it took me less than a minute to find the Primark one) or failing that, phone the HR department of the company.

Most retail jobs in national companies won't take CVs, you'll have to fill in an application form instead. You should be able to sell transferable employability skills (like responsibility, and communication skills) on an application form even if you don't have work experience. Talk about voluntary work, or other interests, like being a member of clubs or teams, etc. I would REALLY recommend doing some volunteering (there are plenty of charity shops always looking for help) to improve your employability. And keep trying. I applied for over 100 jobs over two months last summer before getting my current position. Don't be put off by small hurdles like online application forms with compulsory fields. You can always put "N/A (no previous jobs)" in every field to get past this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Getting a part-time job in London is so easy.

There's dozens of agencies constantly hiring staff for events and I guarantee (almost) that if you start calling around on Monday, you could be going to work a week from Monday.
    You got names? Because so far from what I've heard these agencies either ignore you (happened to me) or priorities older applicants with more experience even if the job doesn't require it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    You got names? Because so far from what I've heard these agencies either ignore you (happened to me) or priorities older applicants with more experience even if the job doesn't require it.
    High Society was the one I worked for. You'd be one of the older people working for them at 21.

There are loads of others but I've forgotten the names. Esprit is another one, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I struggled to find a job too. My advice is to get some voluntary work experience - either write to places you are interested in and ask if they have any work experience opportunities or volunteer for charity work. I did a couple of work experience placements, and after that I found it a easier to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Try handing in your CV to recruitment agencies - they can often offer you some temping work that will bring in some money in the meantime whilst you find a full-time job. Have you looked at anything outside the retail sector?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    Try handing in your CV to recruitment agencies - they can often offer you some temping work that will bring in some money in the meantime whilst you find a full-time job. Have you looked at anything outside the retail sector?
    I applied to KFC, but they rejected me really fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    High Society was the one I worked for. You'd be one of the older people working for them at 21.

There are loads of others but I've forgotten the names. Esprit is another one, I think.

Here are a some other catering agencies that don't require previous experience and are recruiting in London now:
    JAM Staffing
    Lucy Hall
    Michael Wisher & Associates

You don't need experience but you will need a good attitude to get the job

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.