Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    depressingly, its not abnormal - many people I know do. They should know that they are idiots and throwing their lives away!
    I know, it's sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Hi,

so there's this girl that I know and I see her on saturday mornings as we are in dance drama and singing lessons together. Today I overheard her speaking to one of the girls and saying about how she gets pissed when she goes out with friends...she says it's because everyone else does it and because she wants to. And she's only 13! :eek:

Is this normal?

Edit: I also find her a bit stuck up, though it's probably normal for her age...i think she looks down on some people.
    I used to get out drinking when i was 13/14 most people i knew did.

ReputationRep:
    I drunk when I was 13th - not regular and not a lot though.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    meh, I drank enough spirits to get me pissed most mornings from about 12 to 14. On my own I wouldn't advise it.

My friend who did dancing started smoking skunk at that age, lost her virginity as well Maybe its a dancing thing?

ReputationRep:
    People like that annoy me. Half the year 8s at my school have facebook, and they post up photos of them drinking and smoking, acting as if they're so cool. But in actual fact, they really aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I would be surprised but quite a few people do it. Saddens me really since they are messing up their bodies at such a young age and also because I, at age 16, have not gone out and got pissed yet :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

so there's this girl that I know and I see her on saturday mornings as we are in dance drama and singing lessons together. Today I overheard her speaking to one of the girls and saying about how she gets pissed when she goes out with friends...she says it's because everyone else does it and because she wants to. And she's only 13! :eek:

Is this normal?

Edit: I also find her a bit stuck up, though it's probably normal for her age...i think she looks down on some people.

Well maybe she would appreciate some feed-back on the image she convey's? Or maybe people may just accept the fact some people might just have a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    Well maybe she would appreciate some feed-back on the image she convey's? Or maybe people may just accept the fact some people might just have a life!
    what?

ReputationRep:
    Incredibly common where I live, I cant even act shocked about it anymore. The alley down the side of my house is full of underage drinkers from my school most nights ¬.¬ Most people my age drink regularly.. although I seem to have escaped the whole pressure thing due to medication

ReputationRep:
    Its weird. I assume they drink like WKD's and equiv. My brother is 16... he has never been drunk(he doesn't like the taste of beer), I'm sure the first time I got drunk was when I was 16, it sounds ridiculous that children, and I emphasise on CHILDREN are getting drunk at that age, and getting pregnant at 10, as was in the news a few days ago.

what is the world coming to?

What, it's normal, I started drinking when I was 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    I would be surprised but quite a few people do it. Saddens me really since they are messing up their bodies at such a young age and also because I, at age 16, have not gone out and got pissed yet :laugh:
    I'm 18 and I haven't been drunk either.

I drink, just not enough to get drunk. Multiple reasons for that. Firstly, I drink really slowly, so I never have enough time to get pissed. Secondly, I hate the idea of losing control and that's what being drunk does to you. Thirdly, I don't want to be a burden to people and have to rely on the 'designated driver' to look after me. Fourthly I'd rather have a great night with friends that I can talk about afterwards, and not be unable to remember a thing the next day.

ReputationRep:
    No no no thats not normal I wouldnt say. Sure, getting tipsy at a wedding once or twice maybe but that shouldnt be normal. And its a sad life for her if she is If she drinks now surely she'll be bored of it come legal drinking age and then what? Drugs? Lets hope not.

But thinking about it, when is the normal (not necessarily legal) age to start drinking? I started drinking 15 early 16 so I'm a bit biased to say thats what I feel is normal. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)

I drink, just not enough to get drunk. Multiple reasons for that. Firstly, I drink really slowly, so I never have enough time to get pissed. Secondly, I hate the idea of losing control and that's what being drunk does to you. Thirdly, I don't want to be a burden to people and have to rely on the 'designated driver' to look after me. Fourthly I'd rather have a great night with friends that I can talk about afterwards, and not be unable to remember a thing the next day.
    here here, i applaud your attitude.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who started drinking pretty much from the time they entered secondary school. First time I got drunk was at 17, and even then I wasn't anywhere near wasted. These kids getting wasted at 13? Crazy stuff. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    here here, i applaud your attitude.
    Thanks, not many people do

ReputationRep:
    I started drinking when i was 14, I am 18 now and alcohol has become quite a boring thing to me. Having fun doesn't equate being drunk to me. A number of highly unmemorable yet memorable nights have made me much more careful and responsible. I think it has been quite a good thing tbh, I have some people in my class who started drinking late and they are still in the phase of liking getting pissed.

Of course I get quite drunk on occasion but not climbing on rooftops drunk ever again.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I used to at 13 too. Kids these days eh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)

Lol I'm like exactly the same :p: Especially with the first two reasons :p: I'm amazingly slow at eating and drinking and can only drink water quickly lol :laugh: I'm never in situations where I would feel it would be okay to be drunk either

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.