Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    No, you retard.

I am mocking the majority of the posts that had been posted earlier, because most ignore the tie itself and just say it's bad because of the price.

And don't you contradict yourself there? You say i'm trying to rub it in that I can afford it, and then go on to say M&S is my price range?

Perhaps you should try the likes of Matalan, because trust me darling, I can afford this tie.
    Haha your highlighting the price for a reason, if you could truelly afford it you would have just posted a picture. If you were middleclass you wouldnt see the need to highlight its £60 as you would realise money speaks for its self you dont need to show it!

Meh anyway go :troll: on some other forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Apparently you can't read either. Come back when you have passed some GCSE's honey.

And if I needed any more proof that you're a troll there it is; normal people don't start insulting everyone when they are called trolls, only trolls do.
    So what do 'normal' people do? Just sit there and take being insulted themselves, I guess i'm different then...

And darling, I will be reading law at university next year, i'm going to be 17, a better course you could ever dream of even getting into, so I think the whole 'insult my intelligence because i'm younger' stance you have taken is rather weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Haha your highlighting the price for a reason, if you could truelly afford it you would have just posted a picture. If you were middleclass you wouldnt see the need to highlight its £60 as you would realise money speaks for its self you dont need to show it!

Meh anyway go :troll: on some other forum
    AGAIN! I know you're a bit 'slow' and 'stupid', I was mocking the people that had nothing better to say than "that's too expensive!"...

Take your time, don't feel pressured into understanding...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So what do 'normal' people do? Just sit there and take being insulted themselves, I guess i'm different then...

And darling, I will be reading law at university next year, i'm going to be 17, a better course you could ever dream of even getting into, so I think the whole 'insult my intelligence because i'm younger' stance you have taken is rather weak.
    I'm bored of you troll. Crawl back under your bridge.

ReputationRep:
    This has to be the weirdest troll I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tie. It's all right, but nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    AGAIN! I know you're a bit 'slow' and 'stupid', I was mocking the people that had nothing better to say than "that's too expensive!"...

Take your time, don't feel pressured into understanding...
    LMFAO your calling me stupid go crawl back under your bridge as i cant be bothered to feed the little trool anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    Are we living on the same planet?
    Yes, and as someone said earlier it is useless discuss price on here because everyone has different budgets and places different values on stuff. Like some people would never shop at Primark (me) others would never shop at Selfridges (you - probably).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Yes, and as someone said earlier it is useless discuss price on here because everyone has different budgets and places different values on stuff. Like some people would never shop at Primark (me) others would never shop at Selfridges (you - probably).
    I was just perturbed by the fact you didn't think it was alot of money for a small piece of cloth, which applies somewhat irrespective of the budget you place on clothes, some people don't earn that in a year.

ReputationRep:
    I was just perturbed by the fact you didn't think it was alot of money for a small piece of cloth, which applies somewhat irrespective of the budget you place on clothes, some people don't earn that in a year.

Are we living on the same planet?

Who doesn't earn £60 a year?

Unemployed people earn that in like two weeks...

ReputationRep:
    Again, everyone puts different values on stuff - it's subjective. I don't think it's a lot to spend on a tie. You could apply the earning argument to anything - do you think an 80p can of Coke is 'alot of money'? Some people don't earn that in a day.

What people in the third world earn is irrelevant to what value people place on stuff, and I always find it somewhat perplexing that this argument is only ever brought up when mentioning clothes - never cars, never technology, never alcohol, only ever clothes. The money for the computer you're typing on could have bought a well to save dozens of lives in Africa - do you see me going around chastising you or other people for their stuff? No? Then don't do it for me either, because believe me that would make you a hypocrite with a capital H.

ReputationRep:
    Again, everyone puts different values on stuff - it's subjective. I don't think it's a lot to spend on a tie. You could apply the earning argument to anything - do you think an 80p can of Coke is 'alot of money'? Some people don't earn that in a day.

What people in the third world earn is irrelevant to what value people place on stuff, and I always find it somewhat perplexing that this argument is only ever brought up when mentioning clothes - never cars, never technology, never alcohol, only ever clothes. The money for the computer you're typing on could have bought a well to save dozens of lives in Africa - do you see me going around chastising you or other people for their stuff? No? Then don't do it for me either, because believe me that would make you a hypocrite with a capital H.
    I should probably delete my reply to him, because it's disgraceful compared to how well you have written that.

Perfect response, and I couldn't agree more.

I'm also glad that someone here isn't astounded by the price for this tie.

ReputationRep:

Because products produced by the dynamic industry are by nature high value and the products - atleast the ones you mentioned - have a high utility. The object your talking about is a piece of cloth and has little genuine utility. Additionally, a similar product to the latter could be bought for a fraction of the price, while many of the high-tech products cannot.

But whatever, spend your money on what you like, i've become a bit condesceding, sorry.. i just found it odd and i've got dragged into a debate now..

ReputationRep:
    Because products produced by the dynamic industry are by nature high value and the products - atleast the ones you mentioned - have a high utility. The object your talking about is a piece of cloth and has little genuine utility. Additionally, a similar product to the latter could be bought for a fraction of the price, while many of the high-tech products cannot.

But whatever, spend your money on what you like, i've become a bit condesceding, sorry.. i just found it odd and i've got dragged into a debate now..
    You know...there's ties that cost £400.

Surely some people buy them otherwise they wouldn't be made...

Everyone has different budgets and priorities.

I'm into all this style/trend stuff, that's why I like Apple products, I know that sounds shallow, but I like their designs and in my opinion they are worth the extra price even though their specifications are that of lesser priced computers/mp3s etc...

ReputationRep:
    I should probably delete my reply to him, because it's disgraceful compared to how well you have written that.

Perfect response, and I couldn't agree more.

I'm also glad that someone here isn't astounded by the price for this tie.
    Thanks. I have come to expect it here on TSR though, mention buying an item of clothing above Primark prices and you'll have 50 people slamming you and saying how you're crazy etc. It'd be nice if people could just discuss the tie rather than the price of the frigging thing.

When I get my first job I'm going to get myself an Hermès tie - they're gorgeous in real life. I love the designs of Duchamp ties too - they're great quality and are really nice bold designs.

ReputationRep:

But if people only bought items based on utility, they would never buy branded anything. Why buy Cornflakes for £1 when you could buy Tesco's own for 10p - after all they're a 'similar product'. Why buy a Dell computer for £500 when you could buy a no-name computer which does the same thing for £300?

If a tie has no utility then surely no clothes do. Why don't you buy clothes from charity shops for 10p rather than the tens of pounds you probably spend? After all they do the same thing.

Value is not based on utility alone, otherwise no one would buy branded products or in-style products, and this can apply to everything. It explains why some people are willing to pay £400 for a pair of shoes (which includes style, craftsmanship etc) whilst some people fall to the ground and have palpitations at the thought of spending more than £10 on a pair of shoes.

Everyone spends their money on different things. And there is no use bringing out the 'usefulness' card to try and justify your extravagant purchases whilst criticising others, because I will pull out the 'quality' card and the 'style' card with a 'hypocrite' chaser and destroy you in a Yu-Gi-Oh showdown type fashion.

But thank you, I agree that people should be allowed to spend their money on what they like, I just hate the way people feel the need to voice their views on price when they are neither welcome nor asked for (the cause is either jealousy or tactlessness although I can't be certain which).

ReputationRep:
    You know...there's ties that cost £400.

Surely some people buy them otherwise they wouldn't be made...
    Not relevant..

Everyone has different budgets and priorities.

I'm into all this style/trend stuff, that's why I like Apple products, I know that sounds shallow, but I like their designs and in my opinion they are worth the extra price even though their specifications are that of lesser priced computers/mp3s etc...
    I understand that, i just feel in this case for the points outlined in my previous post it's alot for a tie in this case. But again like i said, do whatever you want, i wasn't saying don't buy it, i responded to the other guy because he said it wasn't much money for a tie, which i fundamentally disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    But if people only bought items based on utility, they would never buy branded anything. Why buy Cornflakes for £1 when you could buy Tesco's own for 10p - after all they're a 'similar product'. Why buy a Dell computer for £500 when you could buy a no-name computer which does the same thing for £300?

If a tie has no utility then surely no clothes do. Why don't you buy clothes from charity shops for 10p rather than the tens of pounds you probably spend? After all they do the same thing.

Value is not based on utility alone, otherwise no one would buy branded products or in-style products, and this can apply to everything. It explains why some people are willing to pay £400 for a pair of shoes (which includes style, craftsmanship etc) whilst some people fall to the ground and have palpitations at the thought of spending more than £10 on a pair of shoes.

Everyone spends their money on different things. And there is no use bringing out the 'usefulness' card to try and justify your extravagant purchases whilst criticising others, because I will pull out the 'quality' card and the 'style' card with a 'hypocrite' chaser and destroy you in a Yu-Gi-Oh showdown type fashion.

But thank you, I agree that people should be allowed to spend their money on what they like, I just hate the way people feel the need to voice their views on price when they are neither welcome nor asked for.
    I thought it was obvious utility is percieved in relativity. Also, i've no idea why anyone would - 'buy a Dell computer for £500 when you could buy a no-name computer which does the same thing for £300' - i don't know many people who do, other than those oblivious to the other options.

Like i said, utility is relative, there's no point stringing out some inane analogies to avert the fact that £60 is a lot for a small piece of cloth, the fact you can't admit this is frightful.

And please for crying out don't try and criticise someone for 'voicing their views' on a forum :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was obvious utility is percieved in relativity. Also, i've no idea why anyone would - 'buy a Dell computer for £500 when you could buy a no-name computer which does the same thing for £300' - i don't know many people who do, other than those oblivious to the other options.

Like i said, utility is relative, there's no point stringing out some inane analogies to avert the fact that £60 is a lot for a small piece of cloth, the fact you can't admit this is frightful.

And please for crying out don't try and criticise someone for 'voicing their views' on a forum :rolleyes:
    The things is thousands of people do exactly that! Why do you think brands are even in business, for goodness sake?

But the thing is I disagree. I don't think that £60 is a lot for a tie. Don't flatter yourself, I'm not pretending I don't for the sole purpose of aggravating you. What you really, really don't seem to understand is that different people perceive the value of the same product differently!

I think a shirt from Primark is better fit for sanding down furniture before you varnish it (on account of the fact the fabric is so cheap it feels like sandpaper) than for wearing. I don't think that people who shop there are just 'pretending' to like the clothes and won't 'admit' to it - I think they genuinely like them, and think they are good value. Why you don't seem to think this is the case the other way around puzzles me greatly.

ReputationRep:

You didn't answer the question:

Why don't you buy clothes from charity shops and tesco brand corn flakes? lol

Clothes are 'clothes' in your opinion? So why don't you go to charity shops?

Everyone is different, some people only buy from charity shops, some buy from primark, some buy from M&S, some buy from USC and some buy from Louis Vuitton and rest of them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.