Turn on thread page Beta

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS TIEe? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    You didn't answer the question:

Why don't you buy clothes from charity shops and tesco brand corn flakes? lol

Clothes are 'clothes' in your opinion? So why don't you go to charity shops?

Everyone is different, some people only buy from charity shops, some buy from primark, some buy from M&S, some buy from USC and some buy from Louis Vuitton and rest of them.
    Thank you! You're right, he didn't answer my questions (which I thought were perfectly valid according to his argument).

You put your last sentence much better than I've done! People buy from different shops and think they are good value - I don't know why some people can't grasp that fact!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    The things is thousands of people do exactly that! Why do you think brands are even in business, for goodness sake?

But the thing is I disagree. I don't think that £60 is a lot for a tie. Don't flatter yourself, I'm not pretending I don't for the sole purpose of aggravating you. What you really, really don't seem to understand is that different people perceive the value of the same product differently!

I think a shirt from Primark is better fit for sanding down furniture before you varnish it (on account of the fact the fabric is so cheap it feels like sandpaper) than for wearing. I don't think that people who shop there are just 'pretending' to like the clothes and won't 'admit' to it - I think they genuinely like them, and think they are good value. Why you don't seem to think this is the case the other way around puzzles me greatly.
    I do understand it perfectly, that's the point, you don't seem to realise it's alot of money when considerng the world around you. Granted, it may not be alot for you or your parents, but how you can make yourself abstract from reality around you and claim it isn't a lot is strange to me.

I think the majority of the time it's what they can afford..

You didn't answer the question:

Why don't you buy clothes from charity shops and tesco brand corn flakes? lol

Clothes are 'clothes' in your opinion? So why don't you go to charity shops?

Everyone is different, some people only buy from charity shops, some buy from primark, some buy from M&S, some buy from USC and some buy from Louis Vuitton and rest of them.
    I did, i said - 'i thought it was obvious utility was percieved in relativity' - sorry if it wasn't clear. And i do buy some of my clothes from the charity shop anyway
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Second one's nicer, although is it not going to be a bit dark with the suit and everything?

Do you have a date? Cause then surely you want the tie to match her dress colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    I do understand it perfectly, that's the point, you don't seem to realise it's alot of money when considerng the world around you. Granted, it may not be alot for you or your parents, but how you can make yourself abstract from reality around you and claim it isn't a lot is strange to me.

I think the majority of the time it's what they can afford..
    Ok, I understand where you are coming from now, but I think we should agree to disagree. I don't think I'm ever going to concur with your point of view - I obviously just value things differently to you. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Ok, I understand where you are coming from now, but I think we should agree to disagree. I don't think I'm ever going to concur with your point of view - I obviously just value things differently to you. :dontknow:
    Okay i'll stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    Okay i'll stop.

Me too haha

We've had a good run lol

ReputationRep:
    That's good to hear
    So will you been getting it? .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94_confessions)
    So will you been getting it? .
    I've already ordered it

I reckon i'll look quite good, especially because I wish to impress a certain girl haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laconic)
    I don't get how you can look at any of those ties and think they are tasteful? Okay, as you say, there's a fine line between colourful and obnoxious (or full on garish and ugly), but there's also a fine line between boring and tasteful elegance. If you're willing to pay Thomas Pink prices and want a nice tie that will make you look well-dressed, how about some the following:

http://www.thomaspink.com/fcp/produc...n-Tie/99910782

It's a slim width, but not excessively skinny. It's a tasteful colour but with a lovely PoW pattern (which will complement the subtle pinstripe) and it will be different whilst also not being outlandish. I've just seen it's discounted to £35, so I'm buying one myself.
    Hmm, I quite like this one actually...might go check it out. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laconic)
    I don't get how you can look at any of those ties and think they are tasteful? Okay, as you say, there's a fine line between colourful and obnoxious (or full on garish and ugly), but there's also a fine line between boring and tasteful elegance. If you're willing to pay Thomas Pink prices and want a nice tie that will make you look well-dressed, how about some the following:

http://www.thomaspink.com/fcp/produc...n-Tie/99910782

It's a slim width, but not excessively skinny. It's a tasteful colour but with a lovely PoW pattern (which will complement the subtle pinstripe) and it will be different whilst also not being outlandish. I've just seen it's discounted to £35, so I'm buying one myself.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and in this case our opinions don't match. Neither is right or wrong because fashion is subjective in its nature.

More people in the corporate world would probably agree with you than with me in terms of shirts and ties - the sales of pale shirts and plain ties from the Jermyn Street names on the high street more than testify to that. Without wanting to stand out outrageously from the crowd, I like to have a more colourful twist to what is otherwise "standard" officewear in the Westminster/City/Chancery Lane/ triangle of doom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and in this case our opinions don't match. Neither is right or wrong because fashion is subjective in its nature.

More people in the corporate world would probably agree with you than with me in terms of shirts and ties - the sales of pale shirts and plain ties from the Jermyn Street names on the high street more than testify to that. Without wanting to stand out outrageously from the crowd, I like to have a more colourful twist to what is otherwise "standard" officewear in the Westminster/City/Chancery Lane/ triangle of doom.

Opinion of this tie, with a white shirt and black subtly grey striped suit?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the tie, but then again I tend not to go for ties that are plain or have a repeat pattern unless they match a specific suit and shirt. That and I tend to avoid black/white outfits that have no colour in them. That said, from the description of your suit it may well be that the tie matches it.

On the other hand given that you're looking to spend quite a bit on a tie, you may want to look for mens boutiques - real world or online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    I don't like the tie, but then again I tend not to go for ties that are plain or have a repeat pattern unless they match a specific suit and shirt. That and I tend to avoid black/white outfits that have no colour in them. That said, from the description of your suit it may well be that the tie matches it.

On the other hand given that you're looking to spend quite a bit on a tie, you may want to look for mens boutiques - real world or online.
    Thanks for the advice

Well yeah my budget is up to £60 really...

ReputationRep:
    I've already ordered it

I reckon i'll look quite good, especially because I wish to impress a certain girl haha
    Good call! I reckon it'll look well good . And I'm sure your lady friend'll love it too, aha ;D.

ReputationRep:
    I like that black and white tie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    I like that black and white tie!

Which one is that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.