60.00%
    changed religion
    2.94%
    changed denomination
    3.53%
    stayed the same!
    33.53%

ReputationRep:
    for those of you who were brought up in a certain religion.

how many of you have now....

1. become atheist
    2. changed religion (christianity to judaism, etc)
    3. changed denomination (methodist to baptist, shaivism to halumatha, etc)
    4. stayed in the same religion/denomination

and why?

(mods please move this if its in the wrong place)

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up Christian but became atheist at 7 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Atheist.

Because I don't believe in fairies either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I was brought up Christian but became atheist at 7 years old.
    yeh i was closer to 10 i think.
    my dad being a vicar delayed the transition somewhat

ReputationRep:
    I have stayed the same.

But - by means of my friends really - I have come to see that all religion is good for me.
    I would be very happy if, in the future, I could become like a member of many religions and participate in lots of different festivals and rituals.

I guess I feel a strong allegiance to Catholicism because it has been my religion since baptism, but I am not limiting myself to this one way of religion.

Brought up as a Catholic,but soon realised the real deal.
    I only really need Catholicism now as it lets me hate Rangers,thats about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    yeh i was closer to 10 i think.
    my dad being a vicar delayed the transition somewhat
    That'll do it. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    for those of you who were brought up in a certain religion.

how many of you have now....

1. become atheist
    2. changed religion (christianity to judaism, etc)
    3. changed denomination (methodist to baptist, shaivism to halumatha, etc)
    4. stayed in the same religion/denomination

and why?

(mods please move this if its in the wrong place)
    I have stayed a muslim - primarlily because it 'just feels right' and having studied other world religions - it definitely is the one that makes the most sense to me (not trying to be offensive at all) and i couldnt imagine not being a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I was baptised Catholic at 4 months of age and continued going to mass every sunday until I was 7, so it was probably around that age I became an atheist.

I was never confirmed or took holy communion.

ReputationRep:
    I have chosen to stay on the Christian path, but I have changed denomination, to a more progressive denomination that fits in better with my social beliefs (i.e. pro gay rights).

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't brought up "in" a religion as such, I was more surrounded by Catholicism, Anglicanism and Buddhism. I've been to mass and sunday school, my mum is very religious but being a Buddhist doesn't believe in God but I had quite a long agnostic streak. Only very recently have I come to realise that it's all a load of ********.

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as Methodist/Catholic (yeah, I don't get it either but that's what happened) and was an Atheist before I was 10 years old.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I was kind of brought up Christian, in a wishy-washy C of E kind of way. My parents sent us to C of E primary schools (lots of prayers and hymns and going to church, having the local vicar make regular visits and getting a bible when you left sort of thing) and we went to church sometimes for Christmas/Easter and to Sunday school (we liked the colouring in as opposed to sitting bored in church) when we visited my nan and grandad, who are BOTH vicars! My nana likes to say 'I prayed for that' whenever my dad gives her good news (such as a new job when he hadn't even told her he was looking for one) :rolleyes:

Oddly, this never had one bit of an affect on me. I've been an atheist as long as I've had any sort of concept of religion. I can only remember being about 5 or 6 and sitting in assembly thinking 'this is all a bit silly'. I just assumed for several years it was some strange adult thing (like some warped pretense everyone was in on).

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a Christian, now an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    Brought up nominally Catholic; still nominally Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a Sikh, and still a Sikh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Brought up as a Christian (Church of England), I'm now agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed in the same religion because like someone else said - 'it just feels right'

ReputationRep:
    I started to become an atheist shortly, and somewhat ironically, after going through confirmation as a Catholic. For about two years I was agnostic, until I remember having an argument with my Nan about the existence of God on a day out when I was 15. Ruined the day out somewhat, but I became an atheist after that. I now identify broadly as an atheist, and more closely as a secular humanist, as I believe in liberation from religion specifically for the advancement and benefit of humanity as a whole rather than simply for the sake of not having a religion any more.

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a methodist, now an atheist and avid hater of religion.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.