The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well that's almost exactly the results I thought it would be.

/pats self on back
Reply 21
I suppose, I never grew up in a religous household as such. I would not say I am religious now. But I have questioned my faith, I suppose did some research into it, I felt that my religion felt right for me...
Reply 22
pocketfulofposy
I have chosen to stay on the Christian path, but I have changed denomination, to a more progressive denomination that fits in better with my social beliefs (i.e. pro gay rights).

This exactly.
Reply 23
brought up into a sikh household but was taught zilch about sikhism.
i am now an orthodox sikh.
Went to a Church of England primary school and a strongly Christian secondary which both impressed Christianity on me, but my parents let me decide for myself what religion I'd be.

Anyway, I stopped believing in God at the same time I stopped believing in all the other kinds of children's stories and fairies. Probably about the age of 6 or 7 or so. :smile:
Reply 25
didgeridoo12uk
for those of you who were brought up in a certain religion.

how many of you have now....

1. become atheist
2. changed religion (christianity to judaism, etc)
3. changed denomination (methodist to baptist, shaivism to halumatha, etc)
4. stayed in the same religion/denomination

and why?

(mods please move this if its in the wrong place)

I was raised Catholic and became an athiest when I was twelve, after becoming disillusioned with the idea of God.
Umm I was brought up as a Christian.. And now I am not.. I am an athiest/humanist. I questioned religion for a while, but it was hard to let go of. Sometimes it just sounds so nice that I WANT to believe it, though...
Reply 27
i was brought up christian. would still consider myself christian, however i dont practice/preach religion and have got completely different views on 'god'
Brought up as a Christian
Still a Christian
Love being a Christian and serving God :smile:
i'm atheist but was brought up christian. i don't believe as i don't see why i should talk to an invisible and silent person who apparantly controls my life
Reply 30
-Born into non-religious family (not christened or baptised)
-Went to a christian primary school, felt at the time that I was christian
-Went to a heavily catholic high school during which time I identified as being strongly athiest (teenage rebellion I think :P)

Since leaving highschool I see myself as a theist outside of organised religion. Although I do believe in and follow some buddhist principles.
Reply 31
Brought up vaguely Christian (church once a month or so), now probably agnostic/indifferent/not sure/can't be bothered to think about it or waste time going to church when I can just repent after 40 years of living an awesome, hedonistic lifestyle.
Reply 32
Brought up as Christian (Church of England). Became an atheist/ anti-theist at about 13. I refuse to believe in something as insipid as religion when it hasn't got the slightest shred of evidence for it.
Reply 33
HumanNature1992
I have stayed a muslim - primarlily because it 'just feels right' and having studied other world religions - it definitely is the one that makes the most sense to me (not trying to be offensive at all) and i couldnt imagine not being a muslim.

a religion that has the death sentence for apostasy makes sense to you?
Reply 34
I hate religion, because if you think about it, mostly every war thats ever happened is because of it. Each religion has proof that theirs is correct, which is confusing. I am now an Athiest, but believe there is a force stronger than us out there. I respect everyone with different religions as im open minded and i could be wrong.

RELIGION SHOULD BE BANED! :biggrin: lol
Reply 35
Let's say, the philosophical question of God, on the one hand, and the question whether god was fighting for the Jews or made agricultural miracles with a bunch of pigs, on the other, are two completely different questions. While the former is quite complex and merits attention of many bright minds, the latter is from the same league as spaghetti monsters and tooth fairies.
Reply 36
I was raised in quite an atheist family with roots in Taoism, Catholicism and C of E but now I am a Baptist. Weird, huh? But it feels right to be a Baptist and I enjoy serving God both in and out of church and am actively involved in evangelism and the Christian Union
Pretty strongly hindu until about 13-4 i think .. my realisation of atheism was a pretty trivial affair :p:
Reply 38
Muslim still a Muslim
Family of catholics, I'm an agnostic.

Latest

Trending

Trending