60.00%
    changed religion
    2.94%
    changed denomination
    3.53%
    stayed the same!
    33.53%

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up Catholic, baptised, Holy Communion, Confirmation, all that crap basically because everyone else was doing it and living in Catholic-Irish-priest-land, it was just what you did :rolleyes: I've never believed, I hated going to mass and doing religion at school and being made go to confessions at school (wtf!?). But I had to go to mass every week when I was at home. Total atheist now. I think there'll be problems when I tell my mum I'm not having my wedding in a church!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Where the **** is agnostic?
    Most agnostics are also atheists, depending on how you define it. Really the option should have been atheist/agnostic since there's quite a bit of overlap between the two, but people disagree on the precise meanings.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wasn't really brought up with religion being prominent in my life as my mother believed that what I shall believe will be my decision, now that I've decided that I'm atheist my grandparents don't really approve of it and we regularly have heated discussions on the topic so it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone

ReputationRep:
    How come religion threads never get old? I was brought up Catholic, now Buddhist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Most agnostics are also atheists, depending on how you define it. Really the option should have been atheist/agnostic since there's quite a bit of overlap between the two, but people disagree on the precise meanings.
    I'll describe mine, it can't really be thought of as atheist. I believe that there may or may not be a greater power/deity/whatever you want to call it, but if it is there it is beyond the realms of our understanding and world religions have yet to come up with convincing evidence to back their particular belief as more viable than others.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who was a strict Christian before going to university...

ReputationRep:
    Brought up in a very islamic household.
    Now an atheist.
    My family hate me.
    But there you go.

ReputationRep:
    I was raised as a Church of /england christian. I now consider myself as agnostic; i really am not sure if there is a God or not.

This is because the more i learn about science, the more religion seems like a fairytale. However i am very open to people's opinions and i do believe that the idea of religion and science could co-exist.

I still pray though if i am scared, worried or thankful. You know, just in case ;P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Brought up Mormon, but didn't become atheist at all. Is there a word for not having a specific belief but believing in something?...not agnostic btw. Just not a defined belief...this is confusing me.. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up Christian, but am now agnostic and frequently surrounded by Buddhists.

ReputationRep:
    The results aren't surprising seeing as many teenagers feel the need to rebel against parental customs, hence the high amounts of atheists. (also modern culture favours this "non-religion" quite well with all it's temptations etc.) If we all took the poll in 30 years time it would probably be quite different. Not saying everyone would go back, but everyone would have a different outlook on life.
    Interesting....:cool:

EDIT: this isn't meant to sound as patronising as it has been pointed out to sound like-just a musing! lol

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a christian and still 100% christian :P

ReputationRep:
    Brought up a Hindu, went to a Church of England primary school, became an athiest when I was 15. Life became tough.

I don't care if someone's religious or not - as long as they're opened minded, then it's cool with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Brought up a Hindu, went to a Church of England primary school, became an athiest when I was 15. Life became tough.

I don't care if someone's religious or not - as long as they're opened minded, then it's cool with me.
    lol, pretty much the same, 'cept i'm(was?) sikh

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a Hindu (tho my parent's weren't overly religious to be honest) but saw the light and became atheist at about 13/14.

ReputationRep:
    Brought up a muslim.

Now an Agnostic Theist. (there should really be an option on the poll for Religion >> Agnostic).

ReputationRep:
    Brought up as a Catholic, still am.I might switch denominations later on though(probably C of E).I just love being a Christian and church or Bible teachings help me when i'm down.I can never imagine myself not having a religion because it has heped me in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryice)
    The results aren't surprising seeing as many teenagers feel the need to rebel against parental customs, hence the high amounts of atheists. (also modern culture favours this "non-religion" quite well with all it's temptations etc.) If we all took the poll in 30 years time it would probably be quite different. Not saying everyone would go back, but everyone would have a different outlook on life.
    Interesting....:cool:
    Could this be any more patronising?

ReputationRep:
    Still the same.

ReputationRep:
    I went through five phases:

1. Born into and brought up in a Muslim household
    2. 'Going through the motions' Muslim
    3. Agnostic-theist
    4. Atheist
    5. Practising Muslim

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.