Turn on thread page Beta

Why is racism seen as such a big deal compared to other discrimination? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that Racism is seen as such a big deal compared to other forms of discrimination? Im not a fan of it and i dont condone in but i was just thinking this. Racism is against the race of someone- they were born that way they cant help it. However short people were born that way so what gives people the right to insult them and not be frowned upon? Also if someone has a huge nose then its the same thing. Sexism is exactly the same. Ideas please.

ReputationRep:
    Because of Slave Trade.

EDIT: Being judged negatively because of the colour of your skin is probably the worst insult any human being could possibly give. I'd rather be discriminated for being gay or being male than being a dark colour.

ReputationRep:
    Good question. It's not ok to discriminate in the name of race, gender or religion (and rightly so) but it's more than fine if you're "ugly", ginger, poor, fat or stupid. Infact, people seem to think it's weird if you DON'T discriminate against some or all those groups. It's pathetic. There's no need for it.

ReputationRep:
    At the very worst, someone discriminating against people with large noses just things they are ugly.

Very frequently, people discriminating against other races believe that those races are inherently inferior; that they are less intelligent, that they are criminally inclined, that they come from barbaric cultures.

ReputationRep:
    sexism is largely ignored nowadays tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a combination of the media often hyping up racism, and (relatively) recent historic examples of mass slaughter justified on the basis of race alone. Neither of these make the pure act of discrimination against someone based on race any worse than any other type of discrimination against something the recipient has no control over, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomnixon2007)
    Why is it that Racism is seen as such a big deal compared to other forms of discrimination? Im not a fan of it and i dont condone in but i was just thinking this. Racism is against the race of someone- they were born that way they cant help it. However short people were born that way so what gives people the right to insult them and not be frowned upon? Also if someone has a huge nose then its the same thing. Sexism is exactly the same. Ideas please.
    Race can not be changed or hidden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    Racism can not be changed or hidden.
    neither can your height or the size of your nose unless you do surgery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    neither can your height or the size of your nose unless you do surgery
    People do not discriminate you for height and nose size to the same extent they do skin colour. What a ridiculous comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because of it's association with chattel slavery.. or because attacks and or groups often use such a distinction to forward violence. For example, i've never heard of a political organisation founded on the basis of being anti-short people.

ReputationRep:
    People do not discriminate you for height and nose size to the same extent they do skin colour. What a ridiculous comparison.
    that's not the point, I never said that, you implied that race can't be changed while height and nose size can with your previous post, which in itself was a ridiculous and stupid comparison

good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Because of Slave Trade.

EDIT: Being judged negatively because of the colour of your skin is probably the worst insult any human being could possibly give. I'd rather be discriminated for being gay or being male than being a dark colour.
    Being discriminated against for being male would just be lame, and wouldn't happen often I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    It's the fact that racism is systematic that makes it worse.

If someone doesn't like your nose, the worst that will happen is that they won't like you/date you/be your friend.

Entire populations aren't subjugated because of their noses or height.

ReputationRep:
    You're deluded if you honestly think a dwarf is less likely to be laughed at and picked on in the street, discriminated against with regards to employment (and so on) than an ethnic minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    You're deluded if you honestly think a dwarf is less likely to be laughed at and picked on in the street, discriminated against with regards to employment (and so on) than an ethnic minority.
    I don't remember saying anything along those lines. But that was a bit extreme.

ReputationRep:
    race discrimination is considered worse because it has proved historically to have a tendency to spiral out of control in a massive fashion. also it has a separatist nature, it is feasible we could have a brother of sister with ginger hair/a big nose, plus men and women are indivisible too. I guess therefore human history has made it one of the most potentially destructive forms of discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    The unemployed are the most discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    One tends to have a sense of camaraderie with people of his own race, so insulting a race is like insulting a people.

Conversely, insulting other groups will not evoke the same emotions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    One tends to have a sense of camaraderie with people of his own race, so insulting a race is like insulting a people.

Conversely, insulting other groups will not evoke the same emotions.
    Ethnics may feel camaraderie, however we whites cannot, we are not allowed.
    We whites are forced to accept constant streams of black and brown immigrants pouring into the country.
    We are forced to endure tidal waves of unwanted brown immigration. We are also not allowed to e proud to be white.

ReputationRep:
    Because the slave trades, the lynching, the rape, the torture for hundreds of years was and still is a big deal. If I could tell my ancestors that they could choose between making dinner for some white guy who bought him/her for 5 quid or being discriminated for being short or or whatever, which one do you think they'd choose. Go figure.

Discrimination is bad. Yes, but you cant compare it to racism its just not as bad. Maybe for gay people, i know they get fcked up every now and then.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.