Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cut working week to 21 hours, urges think tank Watch

ReputationRep:
    The working week should be cut to 21 hours to help boost the economy and improve quality of life, a left-wing think tank has said.

The New Economics Foundation claimed in a report the reduction in hours would help to ease unemployment and overwork.

The think tank said people were working longer hours now than 30 years ago even though unemployment was at 2.5 million.

The foundation admitted people would earn less, but said they would have more time to carry out worthy tasks.

They would have better scope to look after children or other dependents, there would be more opportunity for civic duties, and older people could even delay retirement, it said.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8513783.stm

The "New Economics [sic] Foundation" seems to come up with the most ridiculous ideas. I went to their website (reluctantly) to look at the full report. I like how they didn't bother to give any quantitative estimates of the effects of such a policy, quite possibly because it would be very damaging to economic growth. Very scientific, as always.

Does anybody agree with this policy?

ReputationRep:
    that seems like a ridiculously low amount. 31 hours a week possibly. 21 is just way too low though, the amount you get paid would have to take a huuge hit

ReputationRep:
    I must say that IMO the work/ life balance of the "average" person in general is wrong.
    We all readily accept the 5/ 2 split and often a minimum of 9-5.
    If it was up to me the general working week would only be 4 days, Wednesday would become another day for lounging around and all would be chipper.
    Alas it is not up to me, nor is it ever likely to be.

ReputationRep:
    No thank you. I like my job, and I consider it a 'worthy' use of my time.

40 hours a week still gives plenty of time for other things.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another wishy-washy nonsensical "idea" from a leftist think-tank who's being paid too much for this sort of result.

ReputationRep:
    I often work nearly 21 hours a week around school and that... How could that constitute enough for a full time job?!?!

ReputationRep:
    The NEF is a joke.
    This is the same bunch that said cleaners contribute more to the economy than investment bankers.

It's not worth any half-decent persons time to even discuss the economics behind why it would be an awful decision.

ReputationRep:
    21 hours a week?....My family couldnt live on the wages from a job that only consists of such a short working week. As it is my husband works around 48 hrs and we just manage to scrape by.

ReputationRep:
    If my dad only worked 21 hours a week he wouldn't be able to afford anything, whatever happened to free choice? Stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    Too low. I think 30-35 hour week should be standard.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I like the idea itself, because I'd have time to do so many other things. However, I couldn't live off the salary of 21 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the nef really, anything they touch tends to get discredited, and they produce left ideas, huzzah! Strangely enough though, the Guardian quotes them approvingly constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    I quite like the nef really, anything they touch tends to get discredited, and they produce left ideas, huzzah! Strangely enough though, the Guardian quotes them approvingly constantly.
    It's not exactly hard to see why.
    It's not that they produce or promote leftist-ideals, they produce economically idiotic concepts.

ReputationRep:
    How much time I work each week is between me and my employer, the government can get the hell out of my life.

Except of course, that the government is my employer, but it's the principle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    How much time I work each week is between me and my employer, the government can get the hell out of my life.

Except of course, that the government is my employer, but it's the principle!
    I agree with that principle really, but the gov. does have to step in and set some sort of guidelines.

The gov. doesn't say how many hours people are/are not allowed to work (except in some roles where tiredness etc. can cause dangerous situations e.g. truck drivers, doctors (i think?) etc.)

All the gov. does is set out basic guidelines for what is legal for an employer to set out in an employee's contract. You can't be forced to work 2 or more full time shifts without x amount of hours in between etc. By 'forced' i mean, it can't be in your contract AND the literal sense of being forced. Which is quite fair really, its just there for the protection of workers. There are other similar rules too. But there is nothing stopping you from working them hours if you and your employer can come to an agreement on it.

About the actual topic, I think the current working week is too much personally. However, 21 would be way too low if everyone/a lot of people switched to it. People should start taking a more relaxed approach to work. I get an impression that our current attitude is: work, work, work, work, work - get pissed 2 nights on the trot - work, work, work etc. Which I don't see as particularly appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would have a huge difference to be honest.

Working Time Regulations is opt-out. I opted-out of mine in work so that I could work extra shifts during school holidays and have them contracted.

People will just opt-out of this so that they can have the money, and if anyone refuses to sign a contract on the basis that they need to opt out of such a silly amount, the employers just going to get annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inyourhouse)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8513783.stm

The "New Economics [sic] Foundation" seems to come up with the most ridiculous ideas. I went to their website (reluctantly) to look at the full report. I like how they didn't bother to give any quantitative estimates of the effects of such a policy, quite possibly because it would be very damaging to economic growth. Very scientific, as always.

Does anybody agree with this policy?
    To be honest every book about the future that I read always claimed that in the future we would work fewer hours and spend our leisure time doing fantastic things! I can't understand why you feel it is a bad thing. Do you seriously want to work 80 hours a week?

I think that people have a very narrow viewpoint of why we work. They simply see it as being a way to earn enough to live as we wish. Surely as we are living in the future we should be moving away from a society in which people get paid for work in order to live?

Work should be unrelated to income, and more of a community service in which everyone takes part regardless of age, gender, disability or education. You would do the work that you were fit for. The money we need to live on should be equal for everyone. Why should some people hog the jobs and have pots of money while others can't get jobs and live in poverty?

You need to break out of the box a little and see that there are different ways for a society to operate.

ReputationRep:
    So they want to cut the work week in half? If my parents only worked 21 hour weeks they would be broke :o:

ReputationRep:
    Nice idea but realistically, tax revenue would fall...this country is in so much debt already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    To be honest every book about the future that I read always claimed that in the future we would work fewer hours and spend our leisure time doing fantastic things! I can't understand why you feel it is a bad thing. Do you seriously want to work 80 hours a week?
    It would be lovely to have more time off, and of course people don't want to work 80 hour weeks.
    But most of those books aren't living in the real world - when you have financial responsibilities like mortgages, loans and kids etc, cutting your working week from 40 to 21 hours is absolutely impossible unless the cost of living also comes down by half - which probably isn't going to happen.

If you can afford to cut your salary in half then great, but the vast majority of people simply can't take that hit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.