Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Comrades,

Never thought that I'm gonna have such a hard choice, but received offers from both. Which place would you choose, and why? Supposing that I equally like both supervisors, and that funding opportunities are similar. My future career plans are purely academic.

I know.. Oxford is famous for its history faculty.. but on the other hand, I heard some rumors that the supervision at LSE is of higher quality nowadays.. besides, my research topic is modern and IR-related, and these are the fields for which LSE is known..

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Both are excellent, so I'd make my choice based on the city.

I have no desire to live in London, so I'd choose Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzufruktas)
    Comrades,

Never thought that I'm gonna have such a hard choice, but received offers from both. Which place would you choose, and why? Supposing that I equally like both supervisors, and that funding opportunities are similar. My future career plans are purely academic.

I know.. Oxford is famous for its history faculty.. but on the other hand, I heard some rumors that the supervision at LSE is of higher quality nowadays.. besides, my research topic is modern and IR-related, and these are the fields for which LSE is known..

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Think about supervision and who you'd be working with. Plus costs of living etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say about Oxford. But at LSE you can have split-department supervisors or split supervisors/advisers (can come from different departments). This could be useful for you if your thesis overlaps fields. I'd think the choice would be best made on the temperament of the campus. LSE is at a side-street of one of the most hectic crescents in Central London, it could really get to you some days :eek3: . Or it could energize you.

ReputationRep:
    First things first they are both top in the field and are very different.

LSE's Intl history dept is very unique because it focuses primarily on the history of international relations. You would probably find that most of the academics there would be in politics departments in other universities, not history, because they focus just on political history (in fact many have IR Phds). Because LSE focuses just on social science's it can sepaerate departments. Intl History is to IR like what the Economic history is to the economics department. In most large uni's they would be joined.

LSE is known as the 'london school' for the way it studies history and is very unique. It has some of the major academics in IR history like Paul Kennedy and Niall Ferguson as visiting professors and Arne Westad is the world's main guy for cold war studies. It also has very close ties with the IR department and has various joint degrees, as well as co-running the IDEAS strategy and diplomacy research centre.

In short, if you want to focus on recent history of state relations then LSE is probably the best around.

Oxford is different from my research. It's history faculty is very large and most focus on domestic and social history (just look at their masters programmes). For research you would not have the same IR dedicated surroundings. I always thought Cambridge was more IR dominant than Oxford for history, since they have a professorship in the history of IR and academics like David Reynolds and Christopher Andrews.

So as people have said, they both have a great rep and it depends on where you think you will have better supervisors and research opportunities.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.