Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    I also think that the A* grade is going to play a big part in admissions to top universities in the coming years, especially since it is based on A2 performance. I don't think that 'grade' inflation will affect the A* grade as much as some people claim it has affected all the other grades, because people typically do worse on their A2 modules then they do at AS level. Also I think that it will be harder to teach to an A* level, and it is more due to the individual aptitude of the pupil on whether they will be awarded an A* or not.

However, there will surely be data released which shows that private school pupils will be awarded the majority of A* grades this Summer. So perhaps they will be a worse indicator for general aptitude of a student.
    I think the trouble with A* grades is that they're only available at A2 and I suspect it will be difficult to predict who will get them. On top of that, some schools will be overly generous in predicting them, whilst others will be reluctant to predict any. That means reliable info on A* grades won't be available when candidates are applying and unis are making offers. I think it would be difficult for unis to use them for admissions other than making more offers involving A* grades to distinguish between candidates on results day. That could make it very difficult for unis to predict the number of students they'll end up with, particularly those used as insurance.

I think interviews and independent tests (such as UKCAT, LNAT and TSA etc) are probably the best ways of distinguishing between candidates, although nothing's perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luuucyx)
    i also like how private schooled kids wear the jack wills.
    however, state school kids wear it too. i think if you saved up all the money people spend on the wills, they could afford private school.
    one hoody buys you at least three days schooling?
    I can't afford more than one hoody :cool:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I was private school until very recently as my bursary was taken away and I could no longer afford it, despite a scholarship...

and yes, it makes a HUGE difference, at my current, crappy state school, I am having to practically self teach myself 4 AS levels with little/no help, whearas in my old school, I know I would have had volumes of help, not only with grades, but with my uni application, ECs and almost every aspect, however now, I will get very little help on my UCAS, the school offers no EC for 6th form, none of the pastoral care, extremely underfunded to the extent in which walls have huge cracks.....so I dare anyone to tell me that going to a **** state school as opposed to a top private school doesn't make a difference, as I know that if I was still there I would have gotten AAAA at A2 if not higher, now I am unsure of getting AAA at A2
    Go grammar?

ReputationRep:
    because its cricket? and not peoples lives?
    its nothing like the same situation at all.
    they get the grades, they do the same work to get them.
    stop being so bitter and horrible towards people who have the money to pay for schools!
    If you are genuinely this retarded I don't think you deserve a place at any university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Go grammar?
    There's VERY few grammar schools left in the country, about 150 left.

ReputationRep:
    Private school pupils have had their run......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'd love love love to know what a Private School definition of a "reaaallyy awful" teacher is.
    She must have turned up for a lesson late...once

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell is this discussion happening.

I do have a small feeling that the papers are slightly exagerating these stories.

In fact, if there was an option to hide what school the kid came from, but only show their grades etc. Maybe NOBODY could be discriminated against and everybody picked on their merit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toblerone93)
    She must have turned up for a lesson late...once
    Nope, my description would be that of one of my teachers who turned up drunk/did not turn up at all to most lessons

ReputationRep:
    i cant tell if youre being sarcastic :|
    So take, for example, my father. He works in a highly skilled job, for a contracted 38 hours a week (often ends up working 50+ for no extra pay) - yet is in the public sector.

He does not get paid a fortune by any means, and would struggle very, very hard to afford private school for one child let alone too.

You're telling me that he has not worked hard enough, and thus does not deserve his children to have a finer education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    omg 98% A*/A grades in 2009?! I can see how parents could be persuaded to put their child through a private education.
    Yup! I wish my parents were rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tldr22)
    So take, for example, my father. He works in a highly skilled job, for a contracted 38 hours a week (often ends up working 50+ for no extra pay) - yet is in the public sector.

He does not get paid a fortune by any means, and would struggle very, very hard to afford private school for one child let alone too.

You're telling me that he has not worked hard enough, and thus does not deserve his children to have a finer education?
    no, i wasnt saying that. thats completely fair and theyve worked hard to give you a chance in school. thats like my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringLinguist)
    I can't afford more than one hoody :cool:!
    no, i know, its stupidly overpriced!

ReputationRep:
    Yup - much better for all parties. The more deserving applicants are recognised and unis get better students... Parents shouldnt be sending kids to private schools to 'buy' them a ticket to university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    by public school do you mean private as in Rugby public school, or state funded?
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/public_school

ReputationRep:
    This is disgusting. We should not positively discriminate, at all. Equal grade tariffs for all :mob:
    Also, I think it's fair that parents can pay for better education. It's money well spent, and ultimately the parents' to spend. This is only going to let down parents who invested so much in their childrens' education, despite paying in tax for the education of other parents' children too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    This is disgusting. We should not positively discriminate, at all. Equal grade tariffs for all :mob:
    Also, I think it's fair that parents can pay for better education. It's money well spent, and ultimately the parents' to spend. This is only going to let down parents who invested so much in their childrens' education, despite paying in tax for the education of other parents' children too!
    We shouldn't positively discriminate, BUT we should take all factors into account (IE, someone managed to achieve 5 A*s, despite going to a school in which only 15% of pupils get 5 GCSE grades A*-C, has had to work harder for those 5 A*s than someone going to a school in which 99.5% of pupils get 5 GCSEs A*-C due to the environment that they had to achieve them in) the universities shouldn't reject private/public/grammar school outright, but they should take into account the learning environment when looking at achievements, whether this is by placing a slight weighting, by running access courses (though, as someone said, these pupils may not be suited for them) or by assessing pupil's based on a combination of academics, social situation, PS and interview (IMO, best option)

Edit: +ve discrimination is saying we'll pick that guy, despite them being worse suited due to the fact that they're <insert thing here>, whereas taking all factors into consideration would be saying: despite them not quite achieving the standard grades we ask for, they've achieved high grades in a tough situation which isn't suited for learning or motivation and we can tell that they'd fit in here, whereas this guy who has achieved slightly higher grades (not lots higher, only slightly bear in mind), has had to have lots of paid for tutoring and a learning environment that means that they are more likely to achieve higher.

(Original post by tldr22)

according to you - he has made a conscious decision not to earn more money - and so is not giving you the choice of a private education.

anyone who works in a lowly-paid job either didnt put in enough hard work at school (their decision), made a decision to not have a highly paid job (their decision) or has some special terrible circumstance which has hindered them in life (unlucky, rare, deserve help)

ReputationRep:
    I think its ridiculous, I go to a private school and upper 6th is a small year and most of us only go to the school because our dad's are in the armed forces. My parents have sacrificed a lot and worked hard to get me to that school and now I can't get into Uni because of it. Its ridiculous, and its upset me a lot, because I now have to miss out just because my parents wanted the best for me. Not everyone who goes to a private school is rich and snobby, that is just a stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid topic is stupid.

Cambridge judge potential on current achievement only, so this discrimination is non-existant. that not how I would define potential.

Of course private school students are more able then there state counterparts. But if the selection process was random and you went to a private school, you'd be more then 10 times more likely to recieve an offer.
    That seems a big advantage, that's what you're parents pay for. Be grateful that the system is in your favour.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.