Turn on thread page Beta

Do any of you cut your own hair? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering it just to save some money. However, my hair's fairly short and I don't know if I want to risk looking like a fool for quite a few important things. Tips or comments?

ReputationRep:
    dont do it
    i did did a few years back,cut it short;i looked like a butch lesbian,it wernt even so i had to tie it up with loads of clips,but i du cut my own fringe

ReputationRep:
    hell no.

ReputationRep:
    Are you female or male. I layred my own hair wasn't too bad. But if its short even hairdressers can't well cut their own hair. So I'll advise go to them, or if you trying to save money be like a model in a salon which is about £10-15,

ReputationRep:
    I cut my fringe, but I'd never do more than that.

ReputationRep:
    noooo... you cant see the back never mind reach and cut it :/

ReputationRep:
    I do, id recommend using a knife and fork.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Saves £30 odd for something that I'd normally finish off at home anyway.

ReputationRep:
    "Don't do it" is the best advice I've seen in this thread so far. I'd listen to them.

ReputationRep:
    i cut mine all the time, haven't been to a hairdresser since oct 2008, but my hair does grow very quickly so if i do make a mistake (which hasn't happened yet) it's not with me for long!

ReputationRep:
    Mmm... i thought as much. I wish bloody hairdressers weren't so expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I cut my own fringe all of the time, and I'm considering trimming my own ends soon to save money. Depends on what kind of a person you are really though/ whether or not you'd be able to do a good job

ReputationRep:
    Cut my fringe and added a few layers.. it didn't go too bad. Just be careful, cut little bits at a time

ReputationRep:
    Heck I cut my hair all the time. Just get a pair of scissors and chop until it feels a bit shorter. See I don't like to make it look too tidy. Problem is I don't know what it looks like from back-view. But since not one person has commented on it it doesn't bother me.

Tip : Use a mirror. When cutting the back it's the opposite of what you think, it can get quite confusing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I cut my ends and fringe all the time, but I would never restyle it myself or do anything more drastic than that. I did cut my hair properly once, after I'd been to the hairdresser and they didn't do remotely what I asked for. It looked ok, but I wouldn't do it again.

I wouldn't do it!

ReputationRep:
    Did it once. With just my fringe. Never again (I don't have a fringe anymore but that's not the point here)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely seems something to be quite careful with It if goes wrong, then you might have a long wait for getting it back to being right.

I think finding a friend with some hair-cutting experience and asking them to help might be wiser. It also depends on what your hair is like now - if it's a blunt cut or basic layers, then cutting it into a shorter version shouldn't be too bad. If you're maintaining something more complicated, then I think there's more potential for it to go wrong.

Fringes are awkward things.... Pingy hair is quite deceptive, it never sits at the length you hope it will. I think straight hair is probably easier to handle, but wavier hair is probably more forgiving.

ReputationRep:
    I've trimmed my fringe a few times and once gave myself a blunt cut which came out slightly wonky at the back but not really noticeable I would advise getting a trusted friend to help you out.

There is the option of going to an hairdressing academy to get your hair cut. It will cost, but it will be cheaper than the hairdressers.

Edit: At the academy students will cut your hair. I think they are supervised and I've never heard of anything going wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glass123)
    I've trimmed my fringe a few times and once gave myself a blunt cut which came out slightly wonky at the back but not really noticeable I would advise getting a trusted friend to help you out.

There is the option of going to an hairdressing academy to get your hair cut. It will cost, but it will be cheaper than the hairdressers.

Edit: At the academy students will cut your hair. I think they are supervised and I've never heard of anything going wrong
    That's an excellent idea, definitely worth investigating. I think the college near my parents' house does stuff like that. My personal concern would be if they wanted to practice dying hair or something, because I would be too lazy to maintain something like that. But if they do something you'd like, it could work out well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.