Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this is going to be quite hard to explain, as obviously all treadmills are different.

Before starting I use to do 30 mins of running, based on a song at a speed of 11, then one at 12, up to 15. Then a 30 second break. Then moving between speeds of 11 - 13.5 untill 26 mins, then do a minute of 14, then 15,16, and end on a min of 17. Basically I ended up doing about 6.5k and according to the treadmill burning about 500 calories all on an incline of 4.

I tried out HIIT today, and I have to say I found it much more enjoyable, but I dunno if it was more challenging, but I would say it was. I did a 3 min warm up on 11, then I did a min of 18 then 2 mins of 11, then a min of 18 etc, up until 15 mins, 30 second break, then I carried on with that schedule and ended on a min of 19. Basically ended up burning 500 calories too, covering roughly the same distance, also on a incline of 4.

My question is, is it more beneficial for me to be doing the HIIT version? Should I increase my resting speed? (11 is still jogging at a reasonable pace) 18 really was me at the point that my legs felt like they were going to drop off after a minute, so not sure if I could increase that much. Also just to add, I went to work afterwards, was there for 6 hours and my legs feel absolutely dead, which they never do after normal tread run. So it certainly feels like it has had more effect.

My goal is to lose the remaining "excess fat" after losing 5 stone. In that time I have become very cardio based, but I do spend 20 - 30 mins of a gym session doing resistance training also. Is HIIT the way to go?

Also, it may help, I think 19 is roughly 31 km an hour speed wise, based on the fact that the tread said 1km = 3.10 mins per km 1/3.15 = 0.31 something or other. And 11 is roughly 19 km an hour.

Cheers,
    Max

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...

ReputationRep:
    What does your resistance training consist of? Are you doing it on the same day as HIIT?

There's some links on HIIT in the sticky.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoyed it you´re doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty convinced the '19' setting is not 31kph, because that would mean you're running for one minute, repeatedly, on a slight incline, at a pace which would give you a 400m time of 46 seconds. If you were capable of that, you would probably be the fastest 400m runner on earth.

Your mathematical problem: there are not 100 minutes in an hour. The setting is just the speed in kph.

ReputationRep:
    Anything useful, anyone....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.