Turn on thread page Beta

do you have to sponsor a charity? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my friend is going round new zealand on a bike.
    the thing is..he has no money..
    so he wants to have a sponsorship for his travelling.
    do you always have to sponsor a charity? or is his case just as well?

ReputationRep:
    If he is doing it for the hell of it then he may not get much sponsorship. The best thing to do would be to get in touch of companies and ask for them to sponsor him in return for advertising etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh1988uk)
    If he is doing it for the hell of it then he may not get much sponsorship. The best thing to do would be to get in touch of companies and ask for them to sponsor him in return for advertising etc.
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is probably easier to sponsor a charity though, both to organise and to raise the funds, allot of companies probably wouldn’t be interested in the adverting unless your friend is likely to get some kind of publicity out of it, however charities are always happy to receive money and if the money will help a charity local people and businesses will be more likely to sponsor you as it is for a good cause and it think (but don’t quote me) businesses get some kind of tax deduction for sponsoring a charitable event so are more likely to do it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be raising for a charity.....for example, some gap year trips cost around £3000, so you're asked to raise the money for it by certain events....i.e themed parties and whatnot......so maybe he could fundraise indirectly....as in put on lots of events before he goes to raise the money.
    That way, everyone get's something out of it. Otherwise it's just donation really.

ReputationRep:
    it's all about the benjamins. if we can solve world hunger or viral epidemics by any means, we might as well earn some Gs

ReputationRep:
    lol, is he expecting people to give him money to go on holiday?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovingbuzz)
    my friend is going round new zealand on a bike.
    the thing is..he has no money..
    so he wants to have a sponsorship for his travelling.
    do you always have to sponsor a charity? or is his case just as well?
    So he wants to go on holiday, but doesn't want to pay for it...

I doubt he'll get anything as it's not 'novel'.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't have to be a charity case to be sponsored, but as some people have said it's unlikely that people are going to donate just so this kid can go travelling; I'm sure they'd rather save the money so they themselves can go travelling!

The best bet is for him/her to fundraise for the trip. You know gather all old belongings and sell them on ebay, or have a car boot sale. Even wash cars! Walk dogs! Or at least ask people to sponsor him for something fun and exciting, from which he/she can use the money for the trip. ie. Get people to give them money if they dress like a clown for a day or something equally stupid.

I doubt people will give something for nothing.

Good Luck.

(Oh, and what happened to the nice decent part-time job ideology?)

ReputationRep:
    Well if he wants to go on holliday and doesnt want to pay he could allways change his Idenity and hide in a crate from new zeland, as soon as he's found he will get deported and hey presto, free holliday! not sure how he'd get back though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    Well if he wants to go on holliday and doesnt want to pay he could allways change his Idenity and hide in a crate from new zeland, as soon as he's found he will get deported and hey presto, free holliday! not sure how he'd get back though
    Well - he could hide in the crate to New Zealand. Have a look around/bit of a break and then get deported back to the UK!

ReputationRep:
    he needs to have some charity connection, really. i personally wouldn't donate for someone to go on holiday.

he might be able to get round it if he did what a friend of mine is doing - she is cycling 500km along the nile this autumn for OSCAR, a charity for children with brain and spinal tumours, which she is receiving sponsorship for. however, in order to take part, she also needed to pay a fee to cover her participation costs. she didn't have all the money she needed for the fee, so in addition to doing sponsorship forms for just the bike ride, she also did some fundraising by organising a rock concert for some local bands - the proceeds from which not only got her loooads of extra sponsorship, but also made sure that she could pay the expenses fee.

sooo... if he got sponsored to go round new zealand on a bike for a good cause, he could probably also do fundraising to help him afford to do the sponsored ride. i'm not entirely sure that that makes sense, but it does work.

ReputationRep:
    k thanks ppl.
    although this guy is doing loads of stuff for charity already..

ReputationRep:
    I think he should do what every other gap year student does and work for six months. I wouldn't donate to someone going on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Well - he could hide in the crate to New Zealand. Have a look around/bit of a break and then get deported back to the UK!
    AHHHHH!!! clever, perhaps you know this from past experience?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.