Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do regular crunches only target the upper abs? What could I do so also hit my lower abs?

ReputationRep:
    Hanging leg raises are my favourite.

or you can lie on your back with a gym partner standing my your head. You hold his ankles, and bring your legs up so he can push them back down again - Obviously you try to resist the push.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basstard)
    Hanging leg raises are my favourite.

or you can lie on your back with a gym partner standing my* your head. You hold his ankles, and bring your legs up so he can push them back down again - Obviously you try to resist the push.
    *by

When I was trying to work out what you meant, I considered that it may have been 'on', but concluded that what be silly.

Or you could just hold onto something else, I hold on to my bed leg.

ReputationRep:
    Okay i didn't want to make a new thread so i thought i'll post here. Done some abs exercises at the gym yesterday, just a lightworkout as usual and when i woke up my abs are kinda sore ( not sore when im still) but sore when like i tried to do a few crunches today. Usually doesn't happen, shouldn't it only be sore if you work intensively?

There are now 'upper abs' and 'lower abs' however there are 4 (i think) muscles that make up the ab muscles. But these are not upper ab and lower abs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    *by

When I was trying to work out what you meant, I considered that it may have been 'on', but concluded that what be silly.

Or you could just hold onto something else, I hold on to my bed leg.
    Lol, standing on their head gives me a hilarious image.

Yeah if you have no partner hold on to something else, but then you don't get the extra resistance (you could weight your legs but it's not the same).

ReputationRep:
    Squat

ReputationRep:
    Are good hanging leg raises good for targeting the lower abs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JalapenoLatino)
    Are good hanging leg raises good for targeting the lower abs?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    What routine do you do guys do for your abs in a workout?

ReputationRep:
    What routine do you do guys do for your abs in a workout?
    Heavy compound lifts and then maybe one decent core exercise at the end of the workout (eg; ab wheel rollouts).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Okay i didn't want to make a new thread so i thought i'll post here. Done some abs exercises at the gym yesterday, just a lightworkout as usual and when i woke up my abs are kinda sore ( not sore when im still) but sore when like i tried to do a few crunches today. Usually doesn't happen, shouldn't it only be sore if you work intensively?
    Go heavy or go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    Go heavy or go home.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basstard)

or you can lie on your back with a gym partner standing my your head. You hold his ankles, and bring your legs up so he can push them back down again - Obviously you try to resist the push.
    I love that excercise, really great for the abs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    What do you mean?
    I mean go heavy...

Or...

Go... Home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diomedes)
    There are now 'upper abs' and 'lower abs' however there are 4 (i think) muscles that make up the ab muscles. But these are not upper ab and lower abs.
    All ab-exercises work the entire abdominal wall, however, some predominately work the upper abs and others predominately work the lower abs. (Then you have oblique exercises and 'core' exercises e.g. plank)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    I mean go heavy...

Or...

Go... Home...
    Heavy as in....? I dont use weights for abs. I do floor exercises.

ReputationRep:
    I also rate this exercise: http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitnes...20000012281eac

You can really feel the torsion through your abs with it.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you guys rest between sets?

ReputationRep:
    How long do you guys rest between sets?
    However long it takes my gym partner to complete his set.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.