The Student Room Group

I think I'm depressed?

Keep anon or delete please.

I think I might be depressed but I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously. Also, there are things I do that are the opposite of what I've read someone who is actually depressed is like. These have been going on for more than a year. Sometimes it's a lot worse, sometimes it's a lot better.

-Some days I feel like crying every single second and I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I've missed days of college because I can't stop crying. When I'm out in public I start to feel like I'm going to cry..sometimes I do:frown:.
-I used to self harm and I'm getting really strong feelings to hurt myself again.
-Some days I feel like I just can't get out of bed, I have no motivation whatsoever.
-I go through periods of just starving because I dont care about myself at all and I feel like it might make me happy.
- I'm always tired, have headaches and get nosebleeds nearly every day.
- Somedays I feel like it would just be better to die.

I feel stupid because I know I don't have any real problems in my life, but that doesnt make me feel any better.

The problem is I've read that people who are depressed become very anti-social and withdrawn; i'm not. I'll go out every chance I have to drink myself stupid. Last week I drank so much, went back to these strangers house, layed on their bed and smoked weed, stumbled home and threw up everywhere. I kiss more than one stranger in a night just to feel wanted. This type of thing is a regular occurrence:frown: I've also read depressed people dont have much of a sex drive but mine is really, really high.

I also go through stages of being really, really upset and down and then I'll be overly, ridiculously happy for no reason at all:confused:.

If I told my doctor all of this would he take me seriously?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
Anonymous

I think I might be depressed but I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously. Also, there are things I do that are the opposite of what I've read someone who is actually depressed is like. These have been going on for more than a year. Sometimes it's a lot worse, sometimes it's a lot better.

-Some days I feel like crying every single second and I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I've missed days of college because I can't stop crying. When I'm out in public I start to feel like I'm going to cry..sometimes I do:frown:.
-I used to self harm and I'm getting really strong feelings to hurt myself again.
-Some days I feel like I just can't get out of bed, I have no motivation whatsoever.
-I go through periods of just starving because I dont care about myself at all and I feel like it might make me happy.

I feel stupid because I know I don't have any real problems in my life, but that doesnt make me feel any better.

The problem is I've read that people who are depressed become very anti-social and withdrawn; i'm not. I'll go out every chance I have to drink myself stupid. Last week I drank so much, went back to these strangers house, layed on their bed and smoked weed, stumbled home and threw up everywhere. I kiss more than one stranger in a night just to feel wanted. This type of thing is a regular occurrence:frown: I've also read depressed people dont have much of a sex drive but mine is really, really high.

I also go through stages of being really, really upset and down and then I'll be overly, ridiculously happy for no reason at all:confused:.

I think the symptoms that they list for depression are a general rule of thumb, I don't think you have to tick every single criteria on the list. Different people will have different symptoms. Some may be the same and others will vary.

The going out and drinking yourself stupid sounds like escapism to me. That's what I did with drink for a long time, everytime I felt depressed or stressed out, I would get extremely drunk. It's just a short term solution to a long term problem though, and a destructive 'solution' at that.

I don't see any reason why your doctor wouldn't take you seriously? I suspect he has dealt with many many depressed people, and whilst you might feel as though you are unique, I suspect your symptoms/behaviour are very very common to him. You don't have anything to lose by going. He can give you much better advice and help than perhaps most on here could.
Reply 3
By the way, this might sound trivial, but I read in a book once that if you are going to start crying, you should look up. Apparently it helps to stop the tears flowing. I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth trying, if you feel the tears coming on and you would rather not cry.
Reply 4
No, the doctor would laugh you out of the surgery.
you probably are.

i feel exactly the same. except i don't get headaches and nosebleeds.

i want to die too. i feel your pain. xx
edit- i emphasise with the bullet pointed parts, not the rest. i barely leave the house and i hate doing it when i have to.
Reply 7
you should see the doctor if your getting nosebleeds everyday. That isnt good!
Don't take my word for it, I'm no expert, but...

Just because other people become withdrawn and anti-social if they have depression doesn't mean everyone will, people dealwith it in different ways.
Your bullet points sound EXACTLY like I felt at one point (except the nose bleeds, that's an odd one), and people thought I was stupid. I'm generally a very friendly person,even when I felt this way, and one day I got taken out of class, when I came back my friend asked why I'd gone, and I juyst looked at her, smiled and said "Mrs. --- think's I've got depression" and continued to smile. My friend was like "That's stupid, there's no way you're depressed, you're always happy!" But it turns out my teacher was right. That was a couple of years ago and thankfully I'm fine now, but it just goes to prove that being depressed doesn't mean moping around all the time and becoming distant, which might explain your behavious which seems quite the opposite, you could be trying to compensate for it. For me, depression is a very personal and internal thing, and isn't always obvious on the outside, especially to people who you don't know very well or who aren't good at spotting it (my teacher was).

ANYWAY, the best thing you can do is talk to someone about it, maybe a teacher too? A school nurse? Or college nurse, sorry. Or even your doctor if you'd rather, but a nurse might be less daunting. And whether or not you get a diagnosis, I'm sure they'll be able to help you in some way. Best of luck.
Reply 9
lose some weight
do you feel like your missing something?
or feel guilty about something?
Reply 11
I feel like I'm missing something. My whole body always feels like its aching from the inside out, like when your heart aches but this is all over.
it might be because you don't like the lifestyle your living like drinking so much
or you need someone maybe getting a partner or someone who really understands you
There must be someone you know, who you know you can talk to
I've had a lot of people tell me things they go through, and these are like serious matters
I think it would be better to talk to someone you know well and are close to instead of consulting your doctor first
Trust me you'll feel a bit relieved if you share your pain
You'll be suprised at how much people actually do care for you
im feeling slightly the same, cept i get these weird feelings where i feel like everything around me is going fast, like 10 times faster than normal :frown: i don't know whats wrong with me, everyone else just thinks im stupid
Reply 14
I wanted to talk to my mum about it but she's been through so much with me; self harming and an ED and I don't want to put her through it again.:frown:
I think she'll think I'm being stupid because I used to have way more problems and to her it looks like I'm better, when I dont even feel it.
Reply 15
Anonymous
im feeling slightly the same, cept i get these weird feelings where i feel like everything around me is going fast, like 10 times faster than normal :frown: i don't know whats wrong with me, everyone else just thinks im stupid

I get this too. It feels like I'm stuck in slow motion sometimes. You're not stupid x
Anonymous
I get this too. It feels like I'm stuck in slow motion sometimes. You're not stupid x

yeah i feel like im frozen in myself and everything around me is moving too fast, i got it today and now im wondering if i should see a doctor about it.
Anonymous
I wanted to talk to my mum about it but she's been through so much with me; self harming and an ED and I don't want to put her through it again.:frown:
I think she'll think I'm being stupid because I used to have way more problems and to her it looks like I'm better, when I dont even feel it.

I get what you mean by not wanting to tell your mum again and to make more problems
but is there someone who is still close to you who you can go to?
like a close friend?
You should talk about what you think the reason is not just that you think you feel depressed

n anonymous #1 & #5 I get what you two mean as well with eveything around you going faster then what you're actually experiencing
and I get nosebleeds quite often too
but I don't feel depressed at all, I do feel really stressed sometimes but not depression
Anonymous

I suggest you see your local GP... Im sure they will have seen many similar cases and will be able to offer help.
You sound a lot like me in first year at uni. I would go out every single night and get as drunk as possible just so I didn't have to face how I felt. I also get nosebleeds pretty much everyday, but that's due to having low clotting factor in my blood, I can't see how depression would cause it. Might be an idea to get a blood test to find out why you're getting the nosebleeds. And like I said all the rest sounds a lot like depression, I don't think a doctor will laugh at you. But I'd recommend you get help as soon as you can, if you leave things they can get so much worse.

Latest

Trending

Trending