Turn on thread page Beta

Who Would Win This Race?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    This thread is a bit like asking whether Tesco Value or Sainsbury's Basics toilet paper is better.
    And also why my insurance was over £2k. Working out power-to-weight ratios for a 1.2 Corsa loaded up with 4 teenagers... LOL.

I don't in any way condone street racing, but if (for the sake of your ego) you are that desperate to innocently beat your friends at the lights then get a 1.6 Astra or Golf and then that needs no extra discussion. The engine is barely any bigger compared to the extra weight, but my Astra is still surprisingly nippy.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread. I wouldn't want to 'race' in any of those cars. You'd look like such a prat.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the 0-60 time and top speed. Forget everything else (unless you plane to buy an estate and fill it up to the top all the time.)

go onto parkers.co.uk and select "data and performance" and select the correct model and year select your engine size and walla!

It also tells you the MPG per car. A 2002 1.9TDI Diesel Golf will do 20MPG more then a 2002 1.4 Petrol Golf. Plus, the 1.9TDI is cheaper to insure becuase it has 5HP less. (under 100HP)

I used to own a 1.9TDI 2002 - 65MPG on the motorway. Went to stansted and back from London for only a fiver!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Overall, I would get the Golf, the only reason being its a Volkswagon and more relible. - And somewhat looks way better then the others (is bigger too) But if you where too, go get a 1.9TDI make sure its the 90BHP or lower, and the insurance group would be cheaper then the 1.4 Golf... Trust me.

The 1.9TDI has way more toruqes then the 1.4 petrol, so at the end of the day, the 0-60 times are around the same. Plus, the more tourqe, the better. It will pull weight better then a smaller petrol engine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomFellas)
    ^ Overall, I would get the Golf, the only reason being its a Volkswagon and more relible. - And somewhat looks way better then the others (is bigger too) But if you where too, go get a 1.9TDI make sure its the 90BHP or lower, and the insurance group would be cheaper then the 1.4 Golf... Trust me.

The 1.9TDI has way more toruqes then the 1.4 petrol, so at the end of the day, the 0-60 times are around the same. Plus, the more tourqe, the better. It will pull weight better then a smaller petrol engine.
    WE ARE DICUSIING WHICH OF THE CARS POSTED WOULD WIN IN A RACE!

NOT DECIDING WHAT CAR I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    yes and yes

and yes
    http://www.nocturnevideo.com/watch/7...Her-Fart-Slave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    WE ARE DICUSIING WHICH OF THE CARS POSTED WOULD WIN IN A RACE!

NOT DECIDING WHAT CAR I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT!
    Jesus Christ... It's not like you where comparing Lamborghini's to Ferrari's where you? You made it sound like you wanted to purchase one.

stfu.

ReputationRep:
    306's are rubbish cars in general although yes, they are pretty fast and can outrun a corsa at the start line easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    306's are rubbish cars in general although yes, they are pretty fast and can outrun a corsa at the start line easily.
    in what way are 306's rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    They're not. Especially in Rallye or GTI-6 guise.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nocturnevideo.com/watch/7...Her-Fart-Slave
    uh.. what the **** was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)
    And also why my insurance was over £2k. Working out power-to-weight ratios for a 1.2 Corsa loaded up with 4 teenagers... LOL.

I don't in any way condone street racing, but if (for the sake of your ego) you are that desperate to innocently beat your friends at the lights then get a 1.6 Astra or Golf and then that needs no extra discussion. The engine is barely any bigger compared to the extra weight, but my Astra is still surprisingly nippy.
    Astras are very quick, but golfs are much better at high speeds and cornering

ReputationRep:
    306 or corsa maybe?

i think 1.4 golf will not be very powerful considering the weight of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDS)
    Astras are very quick, but golfs are much better at high speeds and cornering
    get a focus if you want handling :cool:

get a golf if you want a boring car :p:

get an astra if you want a pile of....KIDDING

ReputationRep:
    I am slightly biased towards note liking them i had one which had nothing but problems since i brought it and then literally died 3 months after buying it but i guess a Gti or whatever would be a better car than my rubbish one i had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    I am slightly biased towards note liking them i had one which had nothing but problems since i brought it and then literally died 3 months after buying it but i guess a Gti or whatever would be a better car than my rubbish one i had.
    for a french car the 306 is pretty reliable tbh. that said golf's are (in my experince) better built though

The winner would be the car who's driver recognised what a ridiculous idea it is and chose to sit the race out.

If you all had fast sporty cars I'd understand wanting to do it - but with seven to fourteen year old hatchbacks averaging 70bhp?
    It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    because theyre made in france which makes them rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yas89)
    because theyre made in france which makes them rubbish
    Ignorance is bliss then.

306 all the way.

ReputationRep:
    our family had a 405 for about a week then it got stolen

good times....till it got stolen

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.