Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi for the last 4 months i have been learning to drive in a diesel car (clio). My brother who is 3 years older has a clio petrol and we now share it, however after driving in it for the first time today i feel as if i'm back to square one and stalled it far too many times, also all the techniques i have learnt including clutch control i cannot do and i now exit junctions more aggressively and badly due to the extra gas i now use when turning
    anyone been or is in the same situation what can i do ?? POS REP :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You just have to get used to the differences in clutch I think, when I switched from my driving instructor's car to my own, I couldn't even pull off, the clutch is so different.
    Just get to an industrial estate or something similar and practice, that's all it takes. It'll probably be helpful if you get your brother to sit in the car with you to help you.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt in a diesel car and my first car is a petrol. I felt like such a noob pulling off as I stalled and didn't even realise. :o:

You don't have anything to worry about tho. Just keep driving and with time - you will get used to it. I did.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem when i switched from a diesel to a petrol.
    You just need to keep practicing. You will get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me as if you have only tried it once so far. Give it some time, it shouldn't take long to master it. You're a learner driver so I can't imagine you finding it that easy to start off with in a different car. I went to pick up a car with a big diesel engine, that I had purchased 100 odd miles away, and to begin with I found the clutch heavy, and the car quite powerful. 10 miles down the road I could drive it quite well, and 100 miles later I was pretty good, and could overtake etc with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as others have said it's far easier to stall a petrol than diesel, which is a non issue for experienced drivers switching, but is always going to cause issues for a learner. Just go a little easier on the clutch and use a little more accelerator and as others have said, practice, before long it'll be second nature..

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, takes time to get used to them. My instructor has a petrol corsa which I learnt in, my Mum has a 1.9l VW Golf which is diesel, damn I stalled it so many times when I first started off driving it! My instructor then got a diesel corsa and so I've driven in diesel cars for about 5 months now. Just bought my car which is a petrol, and I have to say the changeover has been really good, not half as bad as I expected!

I think petrols are more easier to stall than a diesel, but I also think petrol cars are more forgiving if you do stall, the diesels I've stalled are quite aggressive when I have done so..!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I learnt to drive in a Micra diesel, but moved during learning - ended up in a petrol Focus! I still stall more than I'd like. It's mostly when I'm stressed at a busy junction, or there's a slight hill ... but mostly when I'm not paying attention! Hopefully my driving test tomorrow will be okay...

ReputationRep:
    Diesel generally revs higher, you can pull away without using any acceleration in a diesel much more easily than in a petrol car. Thing to remember when you go to using a petrol is that you need more revs from a standstill in a petrol, I generally give about 300-500 rpm more in the work diesel than in my petrol car, dependant on the slope I'm on or how close I am to a FOD grid (bit like a cattle grid but 4 inches high and pointy).
    It is possible to pull away without using accelerator in a petrol (and indeed is often the best way to pull away on icy/snowy surfaces) but you need a flat surface and you need to be really gentle on the clutch.
    Unfortunately, the only "cure" for this is extra experience. To make it easier, if you really want to, limit yourself to the type of fuelling that you'll be taking your test in, or get out and practice, practice, practice. If you're pulling away in the petrol, keep a tighter control over your clutch, as it's this that will give you the smoothness/aggression in emerging from junctions, but at the same time you will need to make sure that you don't over-rev the engine.

Hope something here helps, if not or if I can try to clarify anything, quote/PM and I'll try to do better. Good luck! MtnMtMn.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.