Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can YOU feel your lymph nodes in your groin? watch

Announcements

I noticed about a month ago I can feel the lymph nodes in my groin (female). (These are felt at the very top of the leg).

I'm wondering if this is normal, they don't hurt at all and I can feel them along both sides. I never noticed it before this time, and I'm wondering whether I can feel them now because I lost weight? (Dropped from a size 6-8 to a size 4-6).

I'm going to book an appointment with the doctor, but please can you tell me if you personally can feel your own lymph nodes in the groin area?

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to feel them if they're swollen, if so you probably have an infection. No, it isn't normal, no matter how much weight you lose. See a doctor. Don't worry too much about it though until you do.

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    You might be able to feel them if they're swollen, if so you probably have an infection. No, it isn't normal, no matter how much weight you lose. See a doctor. Don't worry too much about it though until you do.
    Could an infection have been there for this long though? I suppose it's more likely that it's an infection making them all inflamed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Could an infection have been there for this long though? I suppose it's more likely that it's an infection making them all inflamed?
    Unless you're ridiculously underweight, yes, it is probably an infection. Despite the fact you're already underweight or have probably lost weight a bit too quickly which seems most likely from your post, you should not be able to feel your lymph nodes. Yes infections can indeed last that long, and it is likely that the weight loss doesn't help in emphasising the swelling. Who's to say it's the same infection? You may not feel it, but it is also likely your immune system is slightly less strong than normal from the weight loss or even malnutrition. I hope you're eating healthily and exercising and resting normally.

ReputationRep:
    Often there are "reactive nodes" in the groin area..i went to my doctor and they said that it due to shaving/waxing the area. It's like how nodes come up in your armpits sometimes too. Go to your doctor to be sure, but i think it's completely normal, so don't worry

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    Unless you're ridiculously underweight, yes, it is probably an infection. Despite the fact you're already underweight or have probably lost weight a bit too quickly which seems most likely from your post, you should not be able to feel your lymph nodes. Yes infections can indeed last that long, and it is likely that the weight loss doesn't help in emphasising the swelling. Who's to say it's the same infection? You may not feel it, but it is also likely your immune system is slightly less strong than normal from the weight loss or even malnutrition. I hope you're eating healthily and exercising and resting normally.
    I'm eating less than mum would have cooked at home :o:

Bit I'm eating till I'm full and what not... I've been having a lot of colds lately, (largely due to the place I'm living in being full of damp and drafts running through the house I assume), so I think my immune system could be down.

(Original post by kirsty_b5)
    Often there are "reactive nodes" in the groin area..i went to my doctor and they said that it due to shaving/waxing the area. It's like how nodes come up in your armpits sometimes too. Go to your doctor to be sure, but i think it's completely normal, so don't worry
    That's interesting. Whilst I do shave the pubic area, I don't shave the area where the nodes are though, as hair doesn't grow there. Would that make a difference?

I'm definitely going to check it over with the doctor though.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed about a month ago I can feel the lymph nodes in my groin (female). (These are felt at the very top of the leg).

I'm wondering if this is normal, they don't hurt at all and I can feel them along both sides. I never noticed it before this time, and I'm wondering whether I can feel them now because I lost weight? (Dropped from a size 6-8 to a size 4-6).

I'm going to book an appointment with the doctor, but please can you tell me if you personally can feel your own lymph nodes in the groin area?
    I'm a 17 y/o guy and I can feel my groinal lymph nodes too. I'm pretty skinny at 10st/6ft but have a healthy BMI.

When I first noticed it I went to the doctors and he said that they swell and get sore when your body is dealing with an infection, but some skinnier people can feel them all the time and it's fine!

It probably is that you've lost weight, and you shouldn't worry unless they are sore/tender to the touch. You should probably go to the doctor's anyway, better safe than sorry

ReputationRep:

You made me check for mine then

But no, I cant feel mine. It probably isnt anything and even if it was highly unlikely to be serious. But just in case have a visit to the doc

Have you lost weight purposely? Or did it just suddenly occur? Because thats something you'd need to talk to the doc about too if it came about unintentional and you havent changed your lifestyle.

Good luck :yes:
    x

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. Whilst I do shave the pubic area, I don't shave the area where the nodes are though, as hair doesn't grow there. Would that make a difference?

I'm definitely going to check it over with the doctor though.
    No, i don't think that makes a difference as the lymph nodes are linked to that area. Yeah, definitely get it checked out though. I weigh around 8 and a half stone and i am 5ft 7 so i guess thats relatively skinny...and i have been able to feel the lymph nodes there for about a year now. They don't hurt or anything and haven't got bigger, and the doctor says its nothing to worry about

When you have a lump of any kind they usually say come back in 6 weeeks if it has got any bigger or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm super-paranoid about unexplained lymph nodes at the moment. If you've not been unwell recently then you should definitely see your doctor and get him/her to examine for any other lymph nodes at the same time. Most likely nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Lymph nodes? In my groin? :zomg:

(Original post by xelarose)
    You made me check for mine then

But no, I cant feel mine. It probably isnt anything and even if it was highly unlikely to be serious. But just in case have a visit to the doc

Have you lost weight purposely? Or did it just suddenly occur? Because thats something you'd need to talk to the doc about too if it came about unintentional and you havent changed your lifestyle.

Good luck :yes:
    x
    Absolutely not lost weight on purpose, and I'm not worried about it either. I've always found it nearly impossible to keep weight on and have a teeny build so I look fine at this weight. It's just a case of the meals I'm eating at uni being smaller than those at home, and me not being able to snake as much as I did because it costs too much. (And I used to snack loads back at home!)

As I said I've felt them there for about a month + so nothing bad seems to have happened to me/ they haven't gotten bigger.

I'm booking an appointment for Monday or Tuesday for the doctors, thanks for everyone's help!

lol that was meant to say snack, not snake >.<

(Original post by Helenia)
    I'm super-paranoid about unexplained lymph nodes at the moment. If you've not been unwell recently then you should definitely see your doctor and get him/her to examine for any other lymph nodes at the same time. Most likely nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry!
    I've felt around all the other lymph node areas, and there's nothing there.
    I've also read on the internet that healthy adults can sometimes feel the nodes in the groin, so I'm going to get it checked out any way just to make sure about it.

Damn girl, get some meat on them bones!

(Original post by something_appropriate)
    I'm a 17 y/o guy and I can feel my groinal lymph nodes too. I'm pretty skinny at 10st/6ft but have a healthy BMI.

When I first noticed it I went to the doctors and he said that they swell and get sore when your body is dealing with an infection, but some skinnier people can feel them all the time and it's fine!

It probably is that you've lost weight, and you shouldn't worry unless they are sore/tender to the touch. You should probably go to the doctor's anyway, better safe than sorry
    As I said I've been getting colds on and off a lot because of the constant damp and drafts where I'm living for uni, it's making me quite unwell I guess, so I was thinking at first that might be a reason for them to swell.

Thanks for replying, really helpful!

(Original post by Roxannabelle)
    Damn girl, get some meat on them bones!
    I knew someone would say that lol.

I don't look unhealthy or underweight, I just have an extremely petite build and a fast metabolism. :o:

I suppose this would actually be a more natural weight to me because I'm not snacking like I did back home on such unhealthy food (because of the cost), but I'm starting to eat more now if I can. :yep:

(Original post by Sakujo)
    Lymph nodes? In my groin? :zomg:
    zomg yes!

ReputationRep:
    I can but then I have reactive lymphadenopathy from an autoimmune disease so...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.