Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Meh our two teams are pretty even to be fair (we drew 3-3 with Kings in the BUCS league although we were 3-1 up - grr), we just missed out on promotion to the premier ULU league last season because we had some very untimely injuries when we had our playoff match.

We are playing Kings tomorrow in the 1/4 final of the BUCS South East Cup anyway so I'll check back with you then, but judging how the first ten minutes went on Wednesday (before the match was cancelled due to snow), I predict an LSE victory.
    Excuses, excuses :p:
    You lot being 5 places below us in the league tables is not my idea of even I'm afraid, but ok, whatever helps you sleep at night
    I am obviously predicting a blazing KCL victory, however we can only wait and see.....

ReputationRep:
    love the banter gents, im looking forward to getting into it

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at UCL? THeir Security Studies is highly rated, and the university is better than Kings, more similar to LSE really...

ReputationRep:
    LSE dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumAH)
    Have you looked at UCL? THeir Security Studies is highly rated, and the university is better than Kings, more similar to LSE really...
    No i hadnt heard of UCL's program. im really just throwing darts at UK schools since they're so much cheaper than US universities. i had to turn down a 1 year program at Columbia which cost $61k not including housing, expenses etc. brutal times.

ReputationRep:
    LSE were one of the universities that invented and popularised IR and are still pretty much the best in the country at it. I'd pick them without a doubt. They're both Central London universities so either way you're going to be trecking out to the suburbs if you want to play sports, so neither really has an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkmayers)
    I was admitted last week to LSE's MSc in IR and KCL's War Studies MA in Peace and Security. As an American, I have little idea of the differences in teaching, career prospects and reputations of the two schools. Any and all advice would be welcome. Good luck to everyone with their admissions process.

Im also an avid rugby player, so information on which school has the better facilities is a plus too.

cheers
    First, congratulations on both of your offers at LSE and KCL. I got accepted to King's also for their MA in International Conflict Studies where I am bias toward King's. I visited the school last September and loved the atmosphere of the Strand campus. Also, the course selection is very varied and specialized with a dissertation written in the summer term. One additional bonus for KCL, they're offering free language courses for postgrad students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)
    First, congratulations on both of your offers at LSE and KCL. I got accepted to King's also for their MA in International Conflict Studies where I am bias toward King's. I visited the school last September and loved the atmosphere of the Strand campus. Also, the course selection is very varied and specialized with a dissertation written in the summer term. One additional bonus for KCL, they're offering free language courses for postgrad students.
    Thanks for this Alicia and congratulations to you too! What's your educational/career background? Id be interested to know what kind of other students are going to King's. I also had no idea about the free language courses. Do you speak another language well? I should given how much time I spent in Geneva... wherever I apply for jobs, not being fluent in french is hurting me.

lastly, couldnt help but notice your icon. i went to Georgia v Florida this year and nearly died. part of me is still recovering from that weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this Alicia and congratulations to you too! What's your educational/career background? Id be interested to know what kind of other students are going to King's. I also had no idea about the free language courses. Do you speak another language well? I should given how much time I spent in Geneva... wherever I apply for jobs, not being fluent in french is hurting me.

lastly, couldnt help but notice your icon. i went to Georgia v Florida this year and nearly died. part of me is still recovering from that weekend.
    You're welcome and thanks for the congrats. I graduated from college in May 2009 with a BA in Political Science where I'm interning right now; reviewing international relations/political science books in preparation for my master's program. I have studied various languages in the past but now I'm mostly interested in gaining a fluency in Japanese. Two years ago, I studied abroad in Japan which peaked my curiosity in the language. I definitely understand how you feel about the lack of fluency making it difficult for you to secure jobs/internships b/c I can relate, especially, in our field of study where speaking a second or multiple languages is quite mandatory.

Anyway, I know you will make the right decision for you whether you want to attend LSE or KCL.

P.S. Regarding GA v FL - I'm more of a tennis fan but the college football rivalries are fun.

ReputationRep:
    That's cool, I had no idea about the language courses offered either. Do you have any idea if it's manageable to take a full year of language (say, French), and pass the MA program as well?

I accepted an offer to KCL's MA IR, though I was able to apply again and transfer to the MA War Studies program (just found out today!) Looking at the number of courses they offer and the huge number of teaching/research staff at the department is making me quite anxious to get over there.

Cheers,

Cornell University '08
    King's College London '11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    Excuses, excuses :p:
    You lot being 5 places below us in the league tables is not my idea of even I'm afraid, but ok, whatever helps you sleep at night
    I am obviously predicting a blazing KCL victory, however we can only wait and see.....
    Predictably LSE win. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigRed79)
    That's cool, I had no idea about the language courses offered either. Do you have any idea if it's manageable to take a full year of language (say, French), and pass the MA program as well?
    Since October 2009, the Modern Language Centre and Graduate School at King’s offered PhD and Masters students the opportunity to sign up for an assessed language module free of charge. "Some Masters students may also be eligible for the same courses but they should check that their timetable allows them to attend the compulsory seminars and that their department allows them to take a level 6 language module for credit. Practice does vary between departments, with some allowing you to use the credits gained from successful completion of the language courses towards your degree. Other departments do not allow the credits you accumulate to contribute to your degree, in which case you would have to pay to attend the course. Please check with your department before making a commitment" (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/graduate/languages.html).

French Modules Offered (Graduate Students): http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/04...atemodules.pdf

French 1 6AALF201 6 20
    French 2 6AALF202 6 20
    French 3 6AALF203 6 20
    French 4 6AALF204 6 20
    French 5 6AALF205 6 20
    French 6 6AALF206 6 20
    French 7 6AALF207 6 20
    Oral Communication Strategies 7AALFRS1 7 20
    Contemporary French oral and visual language 7AALFRS2 7 20
    Writing with Style and Nuance 7AALFRW1 7 20
    Interactive Writing

(Original post by BigRed79)
    I accepted an offer to KCL's MA IR, though I was able to apply again and transfer to the MA War Studies program (just found out today!) Looking at the number of courses they offer and the huge number of teaching/research staff at the department is making me quite anxious to get over there.
    Congratulations on your offer at KCL . And, I'm anxious too about going back to KCL/London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Predictably LSE win.
    Aah well, I guess I'm just going to have to take solace in the fact that both our mens and womens hockey teams are higher in th eleague tables (where it matters, I might add) than both the LSE teams :yep:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Since October 2009, the Modern Language Centre and Graduate School at King’s offered PhD and Masters students the opportunity to sign up for an assessed language module free of charge.

That sounds fab. God I hope this interview goes well *prays*

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck with your interview - you will be fine and see you at King's next year.
    Thanks - not hopeful though. The thing the interview is for is highly competitive and I'm never ever that lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Is it for the War Studies Department also?
    Nope - it's a funded PhD studentship split across a couple of departments

Lse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Nope - it's a funded PhD studentship split across a couple of departments
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone studying at LSE or King's recommend a good residence? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone studying at LSE or King's recommend a good residence? thanks.
    King's - Stamford Street Apartments, Rectory House, Brian Creamer House

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.