ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what this means

"I think, therefore I am"

the hell does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=i+think+therefore+i+am+meaning

ReputationRep:
    Descartes! 'I am, I exist'

I am able to think, therefore I am alive.

The fact that he can think is what assures himself of his own existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawwwwr!)
    Descartes! 'I am, I exist'

I am able to think, therefore I am alive.

The fact that he can think is what assures himself of his own existence.

so people who are kept alive only by machines, and with a dysfunctional brain does not exists?

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I don't think Descartes was thinking about magical machines that kept braindead people alive at that point in time.

Anyway, quotes aren't to be taken literally.

Caesar never said "I came, I settled down, had something to eat, trained my army, had my hair done, I conquered some other area".

ReputationRep:
    Actually, funnily enough, Descartes was a dualist- he believed the physical body was like a 'machine' and that the mind or soul was a separate entity that controls the body.
    Descartes believed that because he is able to think, he therefore exists. If you are able to question existence itself, that is proof alone that you exist.
    I love philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I have problems with terms too - have to apply for a competition till tomorrow and have to translate documents into english. how do you call a thing, a document that you get to verify that you study on this particular college issued by the college in order to apply for a competition or, e.g. to get some student benefits (like dorm or health insurance etc.), and how do you call a document that you get as a proof that you have participated on a certain seminar? thank you very very much, it's very urgent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ansy)
    I have problems with terms too - have to apply for a competition till tomorrow and have to translate documents into english. how do you call a thing, a document that you get to verify that you study on this particular college issued by the college in order to apply for a competition or, e.g. to get some student benefits (like dorm or health insurance etc.), and how do you call a document that you get as a proof that you have participated on a certain seminar? thank you very very much, it's very urgent!
    make a new thread, more people will read your post and reply. good luck for your competition :yy:

probably need context

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.