Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by lubus)
    and why's that may i ask
    Because your a backwards ****, the amount of overt racism in this thread is unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    She's probably just worried he'll get you into drugs or beat you up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Let's hope you're infertile. :yy:
    Kinda harsh.

ReputationRep:
    she has a point tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    Because your a backwards ****, the amount of overt racism in this thread is unbelievable.
    Meh, people are racist. Ive never really worked out why, but wherever you go its the same. It seems to be independent of age, sex or culture. In some countries its racism against white people, in some countries its racism against black people. Just depends what the majority is. Our generation are more tolerant, but we still have the same "hard wires" as our forefathers. If you look at some of the most multicultural places on earth, they are often some of the most racist. America being the best example, but also parts of NZ/Aus.

Also why is it that coloured people on here are bragging about being able to score white chicks? What the hell? Are they trophies for you lot?

If I ever dated a black girl the rents wouldnt be impressed, and I would probably be cut out of Grandmas inheritance! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    If she doesn't have the decency to respect your decisions then she deserves to be ignored. My nan kicked my mum out for dating my father (mum is asian and dad is black), my mum ended up living with my dad and his parents which obviously brought them closer. When my mum caught chicken pox whilst pregnant with me, my nan saw how dedicated my dad was during this time along and saw that needed to be on speaking terms with my parents since a baby was involved. My nan then 'forgave' my mum and started to be civil to my dad. To this day though, my dad still hasn't forgive my nan for what she did to my mum.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but think that, unfortunately, it's unlikely that she'll change her views. As people have said before, you're in the right; she's in the wrong. Ignore her views. Try to have a calm, sit-down chat with her, describing how you feel about this guy and how her, frankly ridiculous, views upset you. Try, without being patronising explain why her views are out-dated and wrong. If this doesn't work, just carry on as you have been. You sound like you have your head properly screwed-on and seem very mature. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Although I have been with my boyfriend for a year now, my mother never approved of it from the beginning as he's black and she seems to have a problem with this. I ignored her in the beginning as I didn't think it was fair at all as it could lead to something amazing and it has . However, she tends to randomly "snap" at times by shouting at me about how disappointed she is in me (because he is black), that he must be "doing voodoo to me" for me to even contemplate going out with him and a lot of things I can't even bring myself to type out. Now, this really annoys me. Having a problem with his skin colour is bad enough, but I can't even listen to the amount of ******** that comes out of that mouth. I don't understand how someone could say anything along those lines without seeing how stupid it is.
    My problem is, I can't stand this behaviour and my mum doesn't respect my decisions, I am 18 it's young but it's my choice and I'm not sure how to talk to her to make her understand that what she's doing is wrong and quite hurtful as it seems like she doesn't really care. I wish she would change the way she is because I don't want to end up hating her. Anyone been in the same situation or does anyone have any suggestions to what I can say to her?

I would tell her to deal with it or go away. Your mum won't live your life for you. x

ReputationRep:
    I agree with your mother

ReputationRep:
    Stay with the guy - THAT will annoy the hell out of her.

ReputationRep:
    Geez. Take her to see Othello?

Otherwise, get your boyfriend to learn some of Othello's awesome speeches and recite them in front of her. Worked on Brabantio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    she has a point tho
    I knew you were one of those semi-racist Libertarians

ReputationRep:
    oh and just becasue your mother doesn't approve doesn't make her racist. So change thread title to something like "disagreement with mother"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turf Paradise)
    I agree with your mother
    so why do u agree with the mom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Well at least you're not like many kids who take on thier parents views and then in turn also become racists. So respect to you.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    that he must be "doing voodoo to me"
    lmao!! Too true :p:
    It might not be her fault if she dislikes black people, some people have phobias of them and some are just brought up to not like them
    It's probably because she thinks you could do better than him, and perhaps its because he's not normal (though black is becoming normal now in this country)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    she has a point tho
    How?

(Original post by cowsgoquack)
    She's probably just worried he'll get you into drugs or beat you up.
    Stereotyping? Generalising?

Kinda harsh.
    No it's not. The less racist people have babies the more chance of living in a better world! (I am not saying that all racist parents have racist babies, but it does increase the likelihood).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mc'Lovin)

Stereotyping? Generalising?

No it's not. The less racist people have babies the more chance of living in a better world! (I am not saying that all racist parents have racist babies, but it does increase the likelihood).
    yes she probably is stereotyping and generalising

yay lets hope disabled people are infertile too and stupid people. just because somone is racist it doesnt mean you can wish ill on them :/

ReputationRep:
    yes she probably is stereotyping and generalising

yay lets hope disabled people are infertile too and stupid people. just because somone is racist it doesnt mean you can wish ill on them :/
    I am not talking about her mother. I am talking about you! You assumed her mother was "worried she would get into drugs". Why does being black mean drugs are more likely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mc'Lovin)
    I am not talking about her mother. I am talking about you! You assumed her mother was "worried she would get into drugs". Why does being black mean drugs are more likely?
    lol you nonce

so you're saying that, because the title is 'racist mother' i assumed that the mother was racist.

YES, yes I did.

I said 'She's probably just worried he'll get you into drugs or beat you up.'

because she is RACIST this is what she probably thinks, because it is RACIST thinking.

I didnt say 'its because he'll get you into drugs or beat you up'

which would be me being racist.

sheesh. everyone is so quick to call racist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.