Turn on thread page Beta

Why is America prone to university mass muderings? watch

ReputationRep:
    A biology professor went on a killing spree, shooting three colleagues at a university campus after being told she had been turned down for a permanent job. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7026355.ece

The Columbine High School massacre occurred on Tuesday, April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, near Denver and Littleton. Two senior students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, embarked on a massacre, killing 12 students and one teacher.

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, USA, on May 18, 1927, which killed 45 people (38 grade-schoolers and 7 adults) and injured 58. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–12 years of age) attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest act of mass murder in a school in U.S. history

The Virginia Tech massacre was a school shooting that took place on April 16, 2007 on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. In two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, the perpetrator, Seung-Hui Cho, killed 32 people and wounded many others[1] before committing suicide. The massacre is the deadliest peacetime shooting incident by a single gunman in United States history, on or off a school campus

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 – August 1, 1966), a student at the University of Texas at Austin, killed 14 people and wounded 32 others during a shooting rampage on and around the university's campus. Three were killed inside the University's tower and ten killed from the 28th floor observation deck of the University's 307 foot administrative building on August 1, 1966; one died a week later from her wounds.

Is it just the shear availability of weapons combined with general psychosis which produces these 'common' atrocities in the USA?

ReputationRep:
    Because the burgers probably suck at their universities.

ReputationRep:
    Because they found out hamburger tax was rising.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's so much easier to target fat people.

ReputationRep:
    They got squirrel AIDS

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't believe Americans still believe in the right to bear arms.

ReputationRep:
    Because if you have a fight, youll prolly get kicked out, if thats the case, you might as well kill the dude

ReputationRep:
    Lots of guns and lots of nutters.

As long as said nutter hasn't killed anyone previously, they can access the guns.

Hilarity ensues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    But it's in the constitution!!!!!!!!1!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Mostly because Americans whine incessantly about how they have the right to bear arms, but can't seem to make the link between the availability of firearms and an increase in shootings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    because they uphold the ridiculous idea that everyone has the right to bear arms.

very few people should be entrusted with guns.
    especially youuuuu! :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    because they uphold the ridiculous idea that everyone has the right to bear arms.

(Original post by JW92)
    Well it's better than being prosecuted for defending your self, no?

ReputationRep:
    far bigger population...
    more universities?
    can't stand the people who do it though. can't they just end themselves without taking anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Mostly because Americans whine incessantly about how they have the right to bear arms, and then can't take it when it bites them in the arse at least once a year with a multiple fatality shooting at a major institution of education.

You will note that the major institutions of education are no gun zones. Which mean that the innocents have no way to take the attacker down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)

And who is to decide which can be trusted? You? :upyours: This is what i say to your judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mc'Lovin)
    Well it's better than being prosecuted for defending your self, no?
    No. I think this thread makes that quite clear, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    No. I think this thread makes that quite clear, really.

How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    no you ******* idiot.

Then who? Would you be ok with me dictating what you can and cannot be trusted with? Do you think i am a better judge of character? Do you think i know whats best for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    lol.

everyone to carry a gun so they can 'taken 'em down' if need be. what a ******* ridiculous vision.

Well, to be honest it would only take one person. And what is wrong with law abiding civilians owning or carrying firearms? Do you believe you are more responsible than your fellow citizen? If so, then why wouldn't you have a problem with me taking away one of your posessions because i think it's too dangerous? Surely i do you discredit by assuming you will murder someone with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    How so?
    IMO, the greatest good would be to prevent all these potential deaths whilst putting a very reasonable limit on someone's freedom to wield weapons. The poster's example didn't really make sense anyway, it is legal to harm someone in self-defence.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.