Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shall I go on the pill or not.. so confused Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about it for ages now, whether to go onto the pill or not.
    I think it would be best my and my partner would like to have a baby but we are just starting looking for a house so we thought that going on the pill would be a good suggestion until we find a house we like and have settled into.
    The only thing I am worried about is, my periods are so regular and on time every month that I dont want them messed up because of the pill, and I am worried about other side affects that I could get and maybe even gain weight from been on it, which I know isnt true with the pill but some off my mates that are on it say they have gained some a bit, whilst they have been on it.
    Another thing I am worried about is if I do want to go on it when do I start taking it and how does it work like I mean the routine you have to take the pills it is all so confusing I will end up missing days and all sorts. I just want a good type of contraception that will still keep my periods regular and have little or no side affects.
    So shall I go on it or not, really could do with some advice :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Sure, why not?

I don't know why you want periods though, surely it's best when you don't have them. There's nothing confusing about taking a pill each day until there are no pills and also reading the instructions.

Also you're 19, you don't want to be getting pregnant any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the pill for around 7 years (with a year break in the middle) and have been on 4 different types.

Side effects vary hugely depending on how you react to hormones, and to the pill itself - each brand of pill varies in the levels of hormones. There's no guarantee that you'll have any of the same side effects as your friends so don't rely on other people's experiences alone to make your decision.

Weight gain on the pill is not caused by the pill itself - the hormones in the pill, CAN increase your appetite - so as long as you watch your diet, and don't allow your appetite to rule, you shouldn't put weight on.

The combined pill, is taken at the same time every day (or as close to the same time as possible, but it's not entirely necessary) for 21 consecutive days until you finish the pack. You then have a 7 day break from taking pills (you are still protected during this time) and you will have a period in those 7 days. It should be a shorter, lighter period with less PMS symptoms.

Going on the pill, for me, was such an easy decision. I would much rather be on the pill than worry about condoms/pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend that you just use condoms as the pill can change how regular you are and it can be annoying when you miss a pill although it doesn't affect you too badly.
    I am currently on the pill and it made me regular and has been great although I have put on some weight but not much.
    Condoms are your best bet for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_icefox_x)
    I have been thinking about it for ages now, whether to go onto the pill or not.
    I think it would be best my and my partner would like to have a baby but we are just starting looking for a house so we thought that going on the pill would be a good suggestion until we find a house we like and have settled into.
    The only thing I am worried about is, my periods are so regular and on time every month that I dont want them messed up because of the pill, and I am worried about other side affects that I could get and maybe even gain weight from been on it, which I know isnt true with the pill but some off my mates that are on it say they have gained some a bit, whilst they have been on it.
    Another thing I am worried about is if I do want to go on it when do I start taking it and how does it work like I mean the routine you have to take the pills it is all so confusing I will end up missing days and all sorts. I just want a good type of contraception that will still keep my periods regular and have little or no side affects.
    So shall I go on it or not, really could do with some advice :woo:
    If you don't want to get pregnant then you should really consider going on the pill or using other contraceptive methods.

I have been on a lot of pills because my body doesn't react too well to them. Also the pill actually helps regulate your periods only thing is when you come off the pill it can take 6 months for your periods to come back!

They will probably give you microgynon 30 first which is a horrible pill and makes you gain lots of weight. (because it increases your appetite)
    Other pills can actually make you lose weight(Marvelon caused me to lose about a stone!) Other side effects can be depression which is what I have experienced with a lot of the pills I was on so I've decided to come off the pill for now.

You soon get used to taking them everyday - just take them early in the morning with your breakfast or something. And it will become a routine.

ReputationRep:
    The pill is actually supposed to make your periods more regular that normal.

You start your first pill on the first day of your period, then you take one pill everyday for 21 days, and, depending on if you're taking the 21-day-pills or 28-days pill, you will either continue on with the board, or stop.
    With the 21-day-pills, you stop taking any sort of pill (though you still have protection) for 7 days, were you get a light bleeding, which is NOT your period. It's just.. a bleeding.
    With the 28-day-pills, you take the actual pill for 21 days, then you have 7 pills that are filled with sugar (I believe), that don't do anything, just makes it easier for you to remember when you're supposed to start the next board. during this time, you will also experience light bleeding, that is not actual period blood.

Alternatively, after the 21 days of continuously taking the pill, it is possible to continue straight onto the next board. Depending on whether or not you want any kind of bleeding. =)

The doctor who gives you the allowance to go on the pill explains this perfectly, and gives you brochures and everything. They try to find the pill that fits you the best. =)
    Don't worry.
    I think you could easily go on it. =)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.