Turn on thread page Beta

usefulness of italian. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    rather quick question there, i have an opportunity to learn italian and hopefully learn it at a high level. how useful would having italian be for a career in investment banking? this isn;t one of those "which language is more useful" as i love italian culture and the atmosphere in italy and so i definetly wish to study italian, but i was just wondering how useful it would be in IB.
    please note- even if its not, im still gonna learn it haha!

ReputationRep:
    Not very useful... unless you want to work in Milan.

Limited reach, as it is only spoken in Italy and the Ticino (which is not exactly the most financially buoyant part of Switzerland), coupled with an excess supply of native Italians in the City.

Having said that, although you would do better with Spanish, German, French, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, or pretty much any other language, it's still better than learning nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rotor)
    rather quick question there, i have an opportunity to learn italian and hopefully learn it at a high level. how useful would having italian be for a career in investment banking? this isn;t one of those "which language is more useful" as i love italian culture and the atmosphere in italy and so i definetly wish to study italian, but i was just wondering how useful it would be in IB.
    please note- even if its not, im still gonna learn it haha!
    Hey, IB second year here I'm doing Ab initio Italian, after a choice of doing just it and Spanish.

It sounds amazing! I love speaking it, and I talk it all the time to my Dog, strange I know but it helps me practice.

Well you seem to know the answer already, it is never going to be as useful as French, German or Mandarin, but none the less it is great. Also it will be very easy for you to learn Spanish afterwards. It does however give you an interesting edge, in the sense that your slightly different

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning to spend time in Italy, learning Italian is good. It's no use learning Russian or Chinese if you never plan on going to Russia or China, although both of those would be much more useful to employers.

Italian is very easy to learn though, so it's not as if you couldn't learn it and something else as well. And as anfitrion said, it's better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    cheers that was pretty much the response i thought i;'d get but i thought i'd just double check! in regards to milan, do many companies do grad schemes out there? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Hey, IB second year here I'm doing Ab initio Italian, after a choice of doing just it and Spanish.

It sounds amazing! I love speaking it, and I talk it all the time to my Dog, strange I know but it helps me practice.

Well you seem to know the answer already, it is never going to be as useful as French, German or Mandarin, but none the less it is great. Also it will be very easy for you to learn Spanish afterwards. It does however give you an interesting edge, in the sense that your slightly different
    investment banking not the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rotor)
    cheers that was pretty much the response i thought i;'d get but i thought i'd just double check! in regards to milan, do many companies do grad schemes out there? thanks.
    Yes, pretty much all main IBs have a regional office in Milan, and you also have some pure Italian players such as Unicredit, Intesa (IMI) or Mediobanca. If they don't have an office in Milan, they'll still have an Italian team covering Italy from London.

Note that you'll have to be perfectly fluent to get a job in any of these.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.