Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The political allegiance of newspapers and television broadcasters? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Tell me if you agree/disagree, feel free to add more and discuss the implications of this, and the lengths to which such newspapers/television broadcasters express bias.

Note, that in this context "allegiance" doesn't mean they just agree with everything the party does, but generally conform to its ideals/philosophy.

--------------------------

Labour

BBC
    The Guardian
    Daily Mirror

Lib Dems

Channel 4
    The Independent

Conservatives

ITV
    The Times
    The Telegraph
    The Sun
    Daily Star

UKIP

Daily Mail
    Daily Express

--------------------------

Some more to think of: Financial Times, Sky, Channel 5, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a pretty good sum up, though I'd put the Times as more New Labour, small-c conservative for sure, but not Tory in my opinion :p:

ReputationRep:
    lately, the BBC has been cosing up to the Tories, as they suspect they'll win the next general election, and want to make sure their budget isn't cut...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I think that's a pretty good sum up, though I'd put the Times as more New Labour, small-c conservative for sure, but not Tory in my opinion :p:

Russell Howard is brilliant :yy:

I disagree slightly though, I think The Times used to be New Labour but nowadays, especially considering that Murdoch has thrown his weight behind Cameron, I would call it a Tory paper. I notice that many of their online columns are taken from a moderately (cautiously, I guess) pro-Cameronian viewpoint..

ReputationRep:
    I think it wrong coz i want facts not opinions. That why the free papers are better

Please Watch http://www.kingtastyshirts.com/?e=91...9687388d2e8f7c

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a generalisation, but generally the left (even centre-left) are predominately republicans. I therefore find Channel 4's fascination with the monarchy curious, they always seem to be showing something about The Queen (that big series "The Queen", "The Queen in 3D", The Queen's Coronation, and so forth). I would say I am a monarchist, so I would be interested to hear your view (I saw you were a republican). Are they pro-monarchy, or just pro-Queen Elizabeth II, or if not pro - at least fascinated by her?

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty well summed up.

The Times was always a Tory paper, except in the 2001 and 2005 elections when it supported Labour. It's now changed back.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Times is back into Tory territory now. I don't watch Sky news much so I wouldn't really know where they'd go, but I'd imagine they slightly lean to the Tories with Murdoch's influence.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the influx of Lib Dems on Radio 4 recently? Any time there is a big policy announcement, from the government or the opposition, Today seems to bring in a relevant Lib Dem spokesperson.

Now, I'm rather a floating voter so am not sure if the presence of several notable Lib Dems on Radio 4 necessarily means it's not as pro-Labour as it perhaps might have been, but it's pretty interesting all the same.

I hope all the major broadcasters and newspapers are pro-monarchy!

ReputationRep:
    I think the readership of the Times is much more right wing than the actual content of the paper. The paper is probably leaning towards the conservative party, but it only takes one look at the online comments to see the readers are right wing nutters- saw a comment today, 'liberals and prgressives have held control for far too long, make way for the BNP' and it had 61 recommendations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    But it only takes one look at the online comments to see the readers are right wing nutters- saw a comment today, 'liberals and prgressives have held control for far too long, make way for the BNP' and it had 61 recommendations
    Yeah, because that makes the paper's readership (presumably 62 people, according to your example) "right wing nutters".

Do a few of the Stalinist worshippers who post on the Guardian mean that the Guardian readership are crazy commies?

ReputationRep:
    From experience, as a peruser of the Guardian and Telegraph websites, I have found that many of the posters on the Guardian CiF section are much more right-wing than the writers of the articles they respond to. Similarly, with the Telegraph website the commenters seem more to the centre-left.

I guess it's a case of people preferring to argue with the opponents of their own views.

ReputationRep:
    If the Daily Mail is a UKIP supporter, we don't need enemies. The Express is more UKIP friendly.

ReputationRep:
    BBC.... let's all have a guess shall we?

http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/

ReputationRep:
    It correlates with popularity and wealth too.

ReputationRep:
    i know people love to throw the 'biased bbc' tagline around but seriously you would regard it as left wing? this would be the corporation that took on a labour government over the 45 minute claim? seriously are you a paranoid right winger?

ReputationRep:

There are some disgustingly right-wing articles in the Times Opinion pages quite frequently, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    There are some disgustingly right-wing articles in the Times Opinion pages quite frequently, tbh.
    The Guardian's Comment is Free section is also filled with scum...

ReputationRep:
    The STAR? Tory?!

It's the nearest thing we've got to a communist paper.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian's Comment is Free section is also filled with scum...
    But the majority of the Times' output is right-leaning. They were clearly New Labourites in the late 90s (and probably early 00s) but you would be hard pressed to find a pro-Labour article in there now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.