Turn on thread page Beta

The political allegiance of newspapers and television broadcasters? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The BBC don't have an allegiance, it depends entirely on individual editors/presenters. There isn't some kind of unified approach. E.g, Andrew Neil was a researcher for the Conservatives (I think - certainly he's of that persuasion) and presents a politics show 5 times a week, Nick Robinson was a member of Young Conservatives; on the other hand Andrew Marr or Jeremy Paxman I've heard had more left-wing tendencies at uni, Marr used to edit the Independent. People always like to read in some overall bias in the BBC but it's a load of rubbish imo, individual programs make the choices not someone at the centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnw1)
    The BBC don't have an allegiance, it depends entirely on individual editors/presenters. There isn't some kind of unified approach. E.g, Andrew Neil was a researcher for the Conservatives (I think - certainly he's of that persuasion) and presents a politics show 5 times a week, Nick Robinson was a member of Young Conservatives; on the other hand Andrew Marr or Jeremy Paxman I've heard had more left-wing tendencies at uni, Marr used to edit the Independent. People always like to read in some overall bias in the BBC but it's a load of rubbish imo, individual programs make the choices not someone at the centre.
    If the BBC's output is biased, then we say it has an allegiance. Whether or not this is due to some unified approach or individual actions, the BBC is biased in favour of the left. This should have plenty of examples.

Biased BBC Blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Octopus)
    If the BBC's output is biased, then we say it has an allegiance. Whether or not this is due to some unified approach or individual actions, the BBC is biased in favour of the left. This should have plenty of examples.

Biased BBC Blog
    I don't see where you think the bias derives from since there clearly isn't some coordinating figure deciding how the BBC should present the news - like a newspaper editor for example. There are loads of separate programme editors and above them station editors etc. So unless there unless their is bias in recruitment or generally in the media I don't see where this bias would come from.

That website strikes me as people with too much time on their hands and a clear agenda. It's easy to find examples in a huge, sprawling institution like the BBC - e.g. they make an example of Jeremy Bowen's supposed anti-Israel bias (exaggerating the judgment against his reports) but unsurprisingly don't pick up on the decision not to put up the contacts details for the relief aid in Gaza last year. I remember Tony Benn raging about that at the time. So left-wingers like Benn would also easily be able to bring up anecdotal evidence that the BBC is biased against them. I just don't buy it either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    The STAR? Tory?!

It's the nearest thing we've got to a communist paper.
    I can't say I'm a devoted reader of the Daily Star, but whenever it passes through to my till it seems to closest it gets to politics is a rant about asylum seekers or something similar. That is if you manage to find an article in there anywhere amongst all that tit.

If you mean the Morning Star, you are correct.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.