Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I had a question about one of my courses, just to clear up a few details which the lecturer hadn’t explained thoroughly, I wasn’t the only one, but we thought there wasn’t much point us all emailing him the same question so I offered to do it. In the email I was all polite, said my please and thank you, etc... but I got a really snotty email back, with him basically telling me that I was a moron. The next time we had him in a seminar he was really taking the p*** out of it too, he named me in front of everyone and used my question as an example of, and I quote "the type of idiot who cannot follow basic instructions." According to my friends some people in his other seminars are treated in the same way. What do i do? Report him to my personal tutor?

ReputationRep:
    think you're reading into it too much

ReputationRep:
    Either talk to your school's Senior Lecturer (ask at the Office for who they are), or if you feel more comfortable, talk to your Course Rep about it, who'll carry it through keeping you anonymous if you like; if he does it often, he won't know it's you anyway

But be careful to only state facts; don't exaggerate anything...

ReputationRep:
    To be fair this is pretty common, I know, it happened to me. Most lecturers only ever give a toss about getting more funding for their own research.

ReputationRep:
    Report if you think he is being inappropriate.

You may get warned for using the starred word *****.

Change it before it's too late.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely report it if I were you - effectively calling you an idiot in front of your seminar group isn't appropriate at all.

I'd speak to your personal tutor, especially if he seems to be doing it to a couple of other students as well.

ReputationRep:
    Don't report him you girl. He obviously doesn't care for politeness and students sucking up to him, next time don't be so polite and if he does something like that in a lecture stand up question his ability and tell him you weren't alone

ReputationRep:
    i realise you are actually a girl i apologise but cowardly is what i mean

ReputationRep:
    Has this bloke been lecturing for a long time? The thing is, a lot of students are complete idiots who can't follow simple instructions. However, this bloke seems to have become completely jaded by the job and now simply assumes you're all morons, rather than waiting for any evidence to prove this.
    It's worth having a word with your tutor - preferably not in a whiney 'it's not faaaaair' voice - to let them know what has happened. Stick to factual - show them the email - they can't do anything about what you heard happened to someone else. If he's as bad as you say he is, chances are it's not the first time someone has spoken up.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly did you say and what exactly did he say back?

It does sound unfair to me though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.