Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my English class seems to be moving unbelievably slowly, and I can't seem to motivate myself at all...

We have yet to hand in our first drafts of dissertations , and none of us have done much creative writing-- it's not going well!!

I've started writing my dissertation but really don't know what to do with it - I'm comparing Hemingway's 'Farewell to Arms' and 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' ... any suggestions on that? Or on dissertation writing in general??! I just can't seem to get my head round it at all.

Would really appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    It helps if you just make a big mind map of the different things you can cover, and slowly turn it into a bullet point list of paragraphs to write.

When you're writing, make sure you keep a note of where your points are in your dissertation as you go along - I didn't at first and it became really hard to keep track of where I'd made my points!

My Modern Studies teacher was telling us that even though there's deadlines for when things have to be handed in, he does like it when we go to him before the time is up and ask questions and make sure we are on the right track - you should speak to a teacher, and jusy say you're a bit confused and lost and and they will hopefully be able to help you get it all in the right order!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks will give the mind map thing a go, I hadn't thought of that! Our teacher was really good at higher but I think just because it's advanced now he kind of assumes we'll know what we're doing... which I so don't :/ will speak to him again though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PS__ILoveYou)
    Thanks will give the mind map thing a go, I hadn't thought of that! Our teacher was really good at higher but I think just because it's advanced now he kind of assumes we'll know what we're doing... which I so don't :/ will speak to him again though!
    Haha I know the feeling! There's been a couple of classes where I get a bit of a shock at the jump up from the previous year.

When I was planning my dissertations I just wrote everything down that I could think of, and linked it all up. Probably the easiest way to include everything. Let me know how you get on with it all!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.