Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

becoming a concert pianist watch

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering how good you have to be to become a concert pianist?

ReputationRep:
    Get very good at the piano and maybe get some qualifications to prove it?

P.S. Pianist :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Don't have to be that good, it's all autotuned these days anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Go get your grade 8, then your diploma, then you talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Go get your grade 8, then your diploma, then you talk.
    What she said.

I wish that I had actually practiced the piano in between lessons when I was younger. Maybe I could have been a star. You have to dedicate so many hours to it it's insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Don't have to be that good, it's all autotuned these days anyway.
    lol :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's very hard to become recognised. Studying at a conservatoire would be a start, then entering various competitions. How old are you now and what level of piano playing are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    It's very hard to become recognised. Studying at a conservatoire would be a start, then entering various competitions. How old are you now and what level of piano playing are you at?
    Age doesnt matter sooooooo much. It just depends on playing fantastic at the right moment..but the fact is, one needs to be very skilful and not "just play the piece" <if you got that.
    Of course you can go Lang Lang and practice like 8 hours a day lol

ReputationRep:
    what's the point?
    there will always be chinese kids with pushy parents to fill these pianist spots, so it's not like anyone else will lose out by you not bothering, and you can do something more interesting and fun instead.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody ages. Best bet is to get to grade 8/diplomas by the time you're doing a levels, get into a conservertoir and get up to your 3rd diploma. Whilst you're doing this enter loads and loads of piano competitions and hope you can make it. You've really got to be the best of the best.

ReputationRep:
    well the point is, i enjoy playing piano, and im 17 and am about grade 7 standard i would say although i only have my grade 5

ReputationRep:
    When did you start playing?

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late so I'm not sure that when you started will stop you going far (so if you didn't start playing at the age of 3, don't panic)

Best advice I can offer you is train at a conservatoire or a university with a very strong emphasis on practical work and get as much experience performing publically (both solo and group) as possible...hope this helps

ETA: the performing experience is important in it's own right and also in terms of how it could function as an effective way to network and get yourself out there because as with any artistic field, finding work in it can also be very much about who you know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian1992)
    well the point is, i enjoy playing piano, and im 17 and am about grade 7 standard i would say although i only have my grade 5
    Hmm well, not meaning to sound too harsh here, but I doubt you'll make it. To be a concert pianist you have to be extremely good, to become a famous concert pianist....well. 'Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    you assume i mean i want to be a famous concert pianist who is world renowned and is the best but there are plenty who aren't but are still really good and i would just like to play piano for a living, is that so bad?

ReputationRep:
    you assume i mean i want to be a famous concert pianist who is world renowned and is the best but there are plenty who aren't but are still really good and i would just like to play piano for a living, is that so bad?
    Being 17 and grade 7 standard is nowhere near the standard that most if not all concert pianists are at this age.

Just because you enjoy piano playing doesn't mean you can make a living off of it as a concert pianist - like I said, you already have to be extremely good to be just a concert pianisit.

ReputationRep:
    well i might start late there have been pianists who have started late before

ReputationRep:
    True but you're now at the point in your life where you've got to do things to earn money to live. It's not like when you were at school when you could devote hours and hours a day to your instrument. It's very unrealistic that you could get good enough to become a concert pianist. I was better at the clarinet at that age than you are at the piano and I've improved and can barely get into university bands because the clarinettists in the third year doing music are just so so so much better than me. If you're only grade 7 you're not even goign to be able to get into a university to study music let alone get into a conservetoir which is where you really need to be for performance.

ReputationRep:
    i have only being playing for a year and a half which i think is pretty good going and i stil lhave plenty of time to practice, you only have to be grade 8 to get into university and i still have over a year to get to grade 8

ReputationRep:
    i have only being playing for a year and a half which i think is pretty good going and i stil lhave plenty of time to practice, you only have to be grade 8 to get into university and i still have over a year to get to grade 8
    What did you get for Grade 5, and how do you know you're grade 7 standard. What pieces are you playing at that level?

And yes you have done well, but at the end of the day, there's practically always going to be someone better, or people who've simply just been learning longer and have more experience.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.