Turn on thread page Beta

Quitting Uni before end of year and Student Finance watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Long story cut short im doing a course i like but dont like the uni. For the last couple of weeks i have only been to lectures, but not tutorials or workshops. Received a letter from uni saying i have a appointment with the dean of the law school to explain why i haven't been attending

My options are:

a) ignore the letter and any to come and see through the year without attending (without been officially kicked out)
    b) Quit at the end of this semester which is a month away. What are the consequences with student finance?
    c) quit after getting my last installment in april. What are the consequences with student finance?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You'd do well to try and slip through the net un-noticed now that the university have written to you. They'll be watching you, and will most probably kick you out if you continue not to attend.

Quitting university just before your final installment goes through will leave you with no major consequences with regards to student finance, providing all admin is processed correctly and efficiently (a big ask) before you receive your final payment. That said, such an effort requires that you don't get kicked out first.

Quitting university AFTER your final installment will require you to pay said installment back. Again, fine, as long as you don't bounce off and spend it as soon as it reaches your bank.

ReputationRep:
    see the year out then negotiate repayments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zizou10)
    Hi

Long story cut short, Im at university doing a course i like but dont like the university. For the last couple of months its been hit and miss with my attendance. Received a letter from dean of the law school stating that if i dont arrange to meet and explain my absence i will be withdrawn from the course. My options are

a) i make an appointment with my tutor who is my my module tutor, who i havent met since november and explain that i dont like the univeristy and its brought my confidence down etc. From here see through the end of the year

b) leave uni. What are the consequences? Phoned up student finance and they said i would need to pay a lump sum back, but i have nothing fund the repayment

thanks

You dont have to pay a lump payment, thats bull

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Long story cut short, Im at university doing a course i like but dont like the university. For the last couple of months its been hit and miss with my attendance. Received a letter from dean of the law school stating that if i dont arrange to meet and explain my absence i will be withdrawn from the course. My options are

a) i make an appointment with my tutor who is my my module tutor, who i havent met since november and explain that i dont like the univeristy and its brought my confidence down etc. From here see through the end of the year

b) leave uni. What are the consequences? Phoned up student finance and they said i would need to pay a lump sum back, but i have nothing fund the repayment

thanks
    If you leave uni, what will you do?

I decided I didn't like my course/my halls and that I just wanted to leave and live at home and see what happens. This lasted for three days and I realised that uni was probably better than wandering about my home town looking for a job for god knows how long.

I have until the 28th Feb before the 2nd half of my loan is used up. So if I were to leave now instead of the end of the year i'll only be paying back half the sum.

You could say you had "domestic" issues at home and you missed lectures due to your problems. And you may be sympathised with and there are loans for that kind of thing (i'm no expert). Also if your results are good then the uni will of course still want you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
    If you leave uni, what will you do?

I decided I didn't like my course/my halls and that I just wanted to leave and live at home and see what happens. This lasted for three days and I realised that uni was probably better than wandering about my home town looking for a job for god knows how long.

I have until the 28th Feb before the 2nd half of my loan is used up. So if I were to leave now instead of the end of the year i'll only be paying back half the sum.

You could say you had "domestic" issues at home and you missed lectures due to your problems. And you may be sympathised with and there are loans for that kind of thing (i'm no expert). Also if your results are good then the uni will of course still want you.
    True, it would be wiser to go back. When you say half the sum, is that only for this term or the remainder of the uni year? Would the uni appreciate that i have been mildly depressed lately, because the tutors are heavy handed

ReputationRep:
    True, it would be wiser to go back. When you say half the sum, is that only for this term or the remainder of the uni year? Would the uni appreciate that i have been mildly depressed lately, because the tutors are heavy handed
    Well, if I wanted to leave now (before Feb 28th) i'd only have to pay about half a grand back whereas if I were to stay on till June (this year) i'd be paying double the amount. As for me it comes out in two installments per year. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, totally, my personal tutor was really understanding and I just explained that I wasn't happy and wasn't sure if all this money i'll have to pay back will be worth it. He told me my exam results early (luckily i'd passed them) and said that I should stay.

Remember, the uni wants your money. Do you have a student guidance centre? They will probably offer tons of advice about this. It's what I tried and now i'm feeling more confident I made the right choice.

Look into that hardship grant thing, my personal tutor mentioned it in an email but I was kind of depressed and ignoring any kind of outside help.

I hope this helps a little, even if it makes you look into this further. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Long story cut short im doing a course i like but dont like the uni. For the last couple of weeks i have only been to lectures, but not tutorials or workshops. Received a letter from uni saying i have a appointment with the dean of the law school to explain why i haven't been attending

My options are:

a) ignore the letter and any to come and see through the year without attending (without been officially kicked out)
    b) Quit at the end of this semester which is a month away. What are the consequences with student finance?
    c) quit after getting my last installment in april. What are the consequences with student finance?

Thanks
    Hi, I am in a similar position except I haven't been warned about my attendance yet but I can feel that I will be warned soon seeing as I have started to miss alot of lessons. I am coming up to March now in my first year and have already applied through UCAS to do a different course next year. I feel theres no point in doing the assignments as I do not wish to get a certificate of higher education for this year. Should I inform the Uni about this or just not do the work? Should I stop attending after the third payment in April? or should I attend occasionaly but not do the assignments? Can someone please help me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.