Turn on thread page Beta

Pulling an all-nighter... watch

ReputationRep:
    Avoid coffee! Only drink it if you can drink it every hour or so.

I've done 4 all-nighters this week and here's how: not getting comfy/relaxed, keeping my brain occupied, forcing my eyes to stop drooping, walking about, turning down the brightness of mah comp screen...once you make it past 7am, you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Coffee, water, food, lots of light, noise (maybe put a scary movie on TV) and if you can, someone else staying up with you to keep you awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelS)
    Yeah just make sure you keep moving around during the night and day! One time after pulling an all nighter for an essay i fell asleep in my lecture just becuase i was sitting down and was too comfy
    Omg, I've done that too! I hate it when you wake up and you're terrifyed

ReputationRep:
    Play computer games, or anything that will keep you stimulated. FPS are best :top:

ReputationRep:
    Er.

Just don't go to sleep? It's not hard. Exercise and cold water might help but seriously, just don't go to sleep? If caffeine really effects you (I can drink 5 or more cups of coffee and feel no different but meh) then it's probably not really a great idea.

Bright light and keeping your brain active help so the obvious thing to do is like... Exercise and play video games.

Also @ whoever said it doesn't work, **** that. It's worked for me countless times, staying up for 24 hours really isn't much effort. 48+ yeah but 24 is nout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Omg, I've done that too! I hate it when you wake up and you're terrifyed
    I know! I only woke up because e eryone was leaving and the door banged, got the fright of my life!!

ReputationRep:
    Pro-plus! I did an all-nighter before one of my uni exams, and managed to stay up until 11 the next evening, seemed to have no knock-on effects at all, my sleeping pattern went on just as normal!

ReputationRep:
    meowwwww

ReputationRep:
    anyone recommend all nighters for studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    Im pulling an all-nighter to attempt to get my sleep pattern back to normal, and I feel awake but does anyone have any suggestions on how to stay up if I begin to feel tired? :rolleyes:
    i had to do that! rudbull and lots of it! just fight through it, it will be over soon, it's all in the mind!

ReputationRep:
    Get hooked on some sort of tv series that's online...! And then when it gets to between 7 and 8am, have a shower, and start a fresh new day !

I'm so glad I don't have to do this anymore though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    anyone recommend all nighters for studying?
    It depends. If you've left it this late out of pure procrastination, then there's a high chance you will probably end up not doing it.

Otherwise, I'd say it's ok if you make sure you stay refreshed/concentrated before your exam. There's been countless exams where I've went in without sleeping and end up screwing up answers...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    so, how are you feeling now? :jiggy:

are you even awake?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder has she fallen asleep yet. But energy drinks always work for me if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    so, how are you feeling now? :jiggy:

are you even awake?
    Im awake and have been all day and I feel fine
    Between 5am and 9am I was awful and had to force myself to stay up but after that I was fine because people were around and am looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight!

ReputationRep:
    Im awake and have been all day and I feel fine
    Between 5am and 9am I was awful and had to force myself to stay up but after that I was fine because people were around and am looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight!
    glad it worked out for you

:emo:

ReputationRep:
    I can always stay up through the night but when I get to about 10 or 11am I just fall asleep whilst doing something, I just end up getting too comfy, so i never do if effectively.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Chemistry lab report (2000 words) to write up in about 10-12 hours, which ended up being handed in 3 minutes before the deadline actually was... This is the first (and last) time I've ever left it until the last minute. Plus, knowing my luck, it was the hardest lab report of the term so power-searching Google for answers was not very fun and quite nerve-wracking at that. Although I have to say, finding a secluded spot in the library and ploughing on at 5 or 6 in the morning watching the sunrise through the window is a pretty surreal experience!

In terms of being awake afterwards, I was totally fine until about 15 minutes after my final statistics lecture when I crashed on my bed and slept for about 15 hours straight which left me totally disorientated when I woke up, but it didn't take too long to get back into a 'normal' routine (seeing as though I had a day off).

My advice: get the work done plenty of time beforehand

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of tea. Put in headphones and dance madly around the room. Cook some food. Tidy. Blog, or email someone.

ReputationRep:
    Coffee all the way! Or go out and do something.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.