Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this probably belongs to the technology forum, but given that what I want to know about pertains to my university work, I thought I'd post it here.

Basically, my laptop is knackered, and I don't have the money to buy a full blown ~£400 new one, but I've noticed netbooks are substantially cheaper in most cases, more like ~£200, which I could afford.

Thing is, I'm a bit technologically challenged, and I'm not really sure what a netbook is compared with a laptop.

All I use my laptop for is for typing up essays and coursework, storing these essays, and browsing the internet. I'm an arts student, so I never use power points, spreadsheets, graphics programmes, etc and I don't store music or pictures. All I need is some sort of Word programme for my essays and the Internet for email, research, facebook, etc.
    I rarely work on the go, my uni room is wired, so I'm not worried about battery capacity.

So my question is, does it sound like a netbook will be enough to meet my (pretty minimal) needs?

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would opt for a laptop despite the additional cost. For one thing a small screen is going to be a pain in the arse in terms of trying to see what you're doing properly (at least for me it would be- I need a normal screen to have both the journals and the essay open at the same time as I write).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatea)
    Sorry, this probably belongs to the technology forum, but given that what I want to know about pertains to my university work, I thought I'd post it here.

Basically, my laptop is knackered, and I don't have the money to buy a full blown ~£400 new one, but I've noticed netbooks are substantially cheaper in most cases, more like ~£200, which I could afford.

Thing is, I'm a bit technologically challenged, and I'm not really sure what a netbook is compared with a laptop.

All I use my laptop for is for typing up essays and coursework, storing these essays, and browsing the internet. I'm an arts student, so I never use power points, spreadsheets, graphics programmes, etc and I don't store music or pictures. All I need is some sort of Word programme for my essays and the Internet for email, research, facebook, etc.
    I rarely work on the go, my uni room is wired, so I'm not worried about battery capacity.

So my question is, does it sound like a netbook will be enough to meet my (pretty minimal) needs?

netbooks are pretty much literally half a laptop: half as powerful, half the size, half the cost

personally i'd save and get a laptop, cos staring at a netbook-sized screen for hours would drive me insane

ReputationRep:

Netbook will cover your needs and more. I have a Netbook, and I'm an Engineering student.

My netbook does all the stuff you want it to do, plus all the stuff you don't need (power point, spreadsheets, graphics, etc), and it even does more complex tasks like Matlab and CFD coding. So yes, more than capable.

Today's Netbooks are probably about the same performance as last years full size laptops. The only limit on what you can do with them is probably down to screen size more than anything else.

I use my big laptop more often, just because there's more space to have several windows open at once and review articles and other documents while I type. Netbooks can't really do that, you can only really have one or possibly 2 (at a push) windows visible simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go for it, typing essays etc would be horrific for a while. If you had both a laptop and a netbook for taking into uni, that would be alright, but just a netbook wouldn't be great.

ReputationRep:
    They are good, they are slow though but you get used to the small screen after a while.

ReputationRep:

Due to their diminutive size, their keyboards are smaller than normal, which are uncomfortable to use for long periods. If you're looking for something cheap and basic with no need for portability or special functionality, you should probably look at considering a refurbished desktop tower and a cheap monitor. You could probably pick up a cheapy for about £250-300.

ReputationRep:
    The only downside is the size if you're going for a really cheap netbook. You've got to consider the screen size, but probably more importantly, the keyboard size. The keys are about half the size if that; they take a while to get used to but when you do, you'll love it.

Generally though, if you think that you'd be alright with a small screen and small keyboard, then go for it - it'll do everything you need and more!

But if money is an issue, check these out (they start from £250): http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&show_all=true

I have a refurbished laptop from there, have had it for about 18 months now, there was nothing wrong with it aesthetically and it works absolutely perfect

ReputationRep:
    You could just get a cheap desktop, will your parents be helping you move in/out at the start/end of the year?

To the above, do any of you even own or have used a netbook. Some of them have standard size keyboards, and the screen really isn't that small when you get used to it. They aren't slow either - my netbook seems to perform much better than my friends Macbook. I can have 10 PDF files open and 15 internet tabs and it will still work fine.

Of course you can't have as many windows up. But you have to compromise if you aren't willing to pay the extra cost. I can have 5 PDF files up at once with my current setup easily (24 & 20" monitors), and can put my 24" screen in portrait mode for better viewing. Yet I cope just fine when I have to use my netbook, you just cycle through the files you want when you want them.

So yes, while a laptop would be marginally better, you will be fine with a netbook...

ReputationRep:
    If you're only using it to type essays etc., then you could even just buy a cheap full-size USB keyboard to plug into it, which will make typing far more comfortable. This is what I did for a while. The screen is small, but you'll easily get used to it, as long as you're not looking for more than a web browser/word processor.

ReputationRep:
    Netbook is a good buy 4 you.

You seriously dont need to waste money on laptop for your course. Waste of time.
    I have a halls mate that has a netbook, and it suits him fine.

My advice is Netbook, they r quite cute aswell lol

I couldn't imagine using a ****** little keyboard for hours on end to type up an essay. And I couldn't imagine using a ****** little screen when I have a webpage, a journal and a word processor all open at the same time. Save for a proper laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I used a netbook whilst at university. I quickly got used to the small keyboard, and as it was only for university work I didn't need an incredible speed.

The netbook was small enough to carry everywhere - valuable on campus.

ReputationRep:
    If you already have a main computer which you use at home, then I'd definitely go for a netbook for the practicality. My housemate takes his to lectures, or the library, really good to transport. But not very good as a main computer really.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using a netbook for my A levels and it's perfect so far...although mines did cost me a bit above £500 after I'd bought everything with it. I use it a lot, it's fast and great for all the notes, coursework etc. I type up on it and I have tonnes of music and pics on it. It's great.

ReputationRep:
    I love my netbook

It's dead good for taking to the study areas and typing up an essay etc

I don't get the issue with portability. Yes, netbooks are smaller, but unless you're a seven stone weakling, no ordinary laptop is going to break your back carrying it around campus... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    I've been using a netbook for my A levels and it's perfect so far...although mines did cost me a bit above £500 after I'd bought everything with it. I use it a lot, it's fast and great for all the notes, coursework etc. I type up on it and I have tonnes of music and pics on it. It's great.
    :lolwut: Is it made from 24ct gold? That's an awful lot of money for a netbook... what did you get with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I don't get the issue with portability. Yes, netbooks are smaller, but unless you're a seven stone weakling, no ordinary laptop is going to break your back carrying it around campus... :/
    If you're like me and bought a 17" laptop then it's not really an option to carry it around everywhere....especially with it's 2hrs batter life
    It's a beast of a laptop but it's a power hungry whore too...

ReputationRep:
    I have just got a acer 1 and its fine, keys feel full size, cute plus it was cheap at £260. I don't think i could live without it now, it goes every where with me, i like a different scenery for evey report i have to write

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.