Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Am I going to be hated for being American this fal at uni? I find that the British really like to judge Americans on the absurd stereotypes broadcasted everywhere and I am really worried about people being mean to me because of it.

I really am nice, am not a troll and have a soft semi-Southwestern (Coloradan) accent that sounds more Canadian/British at times because I grew up with a lot of British influences.
    I am not loud like Paris Hilton, in people's faces like Jack Black, eat McDonalds every day, love guns and american football, et cetera.

Pretty much, I am just wondering if next year will be hell because I am American? I love England and the English and just want to make sure my money will not be spent on having a hellish experience.

ReputationRep:
    no
    americans are hot.
    any accent is hot.
    and everyone will find you hot
    and love you..
    thats just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    No you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Many people do have prejudice; the majority will manage to hide it to your face.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it won't be hell!

I think a lot of people will be interested in you and want to know about how you grew up and where you lived. There'll be nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll certainly get a lot more interest in you, simply because of your accent.

One of my best friends is in America for a year at uni and he's having the time of his life. Everyone loves him because of his strong Mancunian accent which is different to the stereotypical Southern accent most Americans associate with a British person

As long as you're friendly, you'll be fine! Any comments most people make will be tongue in cheek/a bit of banter.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine. You may get lighthearted jokes though, but don't take them too seriously. We take the piss out of every country, including our own.

No I have an American in my course and he's so lovely, but I do have a habit saying things in an american accent when I'm around him but he does the same with my British accent.

ReputationRep:
    well i like jack black

ReputationRep:
    As long as your white, I don't think there's much of a problem! Try being oriental!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really am nice, am not a troll and have a soft semi-Southwestern (Coloradan) accent
    south park accent? they'll love you :top:

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. There are people from all over the place at university and most people don't actually believe in the sterotypes. You'll probably find most people are more interested in your country than disdainful of it.

I'd expect you'll make friends easily just like everyone else, with the addition of 'Loud/Fat/Gunloving American' jokes used only lightheartedly

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the university. UCL has a lot of international students, so we get quite used to different accents. People don't bat an eyelid at people with different accents, one of my closest friends has an american sounding accent, though she isn't actually american, she just went to school there. I generally don't think anything of it, sometimes we tease her but nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenuts)
    no
    americans are hot.
    any accent is hot.
    and everyone will find you hot
    and love you..
    thats just the way it is.
    Pretty much this.

People embrace this...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.