It s the alternative to practical
    how many of you're doing it.
    does any1 have any resourses?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how the paper will be, and does anyone have any practice papers other than the sample one???

ReputationRep:
    what are you all revising for it???
    have you got any information on it from your school?
    any booklets or anything?
    i think,teachers have a practical booklet that might be of help..
    any information on this dreaded exam would be highly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    hey all.. how's everyone preparing for this paper? any help will be good.. im afraid lecturers in my college are no help at all =/

ReputationRep:
    Our school gave some resources but they are hard copies. I ll try to scan them and put them. What topics can you expect in the paper? Transition metals cations, nmr spectroscopy, titrations, what else?

ReputationRep:
    ALL Organic tests and reactions and preparations.

I hope to god they don't bring an organic synthesis route question.

We need to know about things like recrystallization, melting/boiling pt. determination etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    ALL Organic tests and reactions and preparations.

I hope to god they don't bring an organic synthesis route question.

We need to know about things like recrystallization, melting/boiling pt. determination etc.
    Isn't organic synthesis theory? Won't it come in unit 5? :/ They can only give titration or some calculation question using that right? I wouldn't mind a calculation question...

ReputationRep:
    Organic synthesis can ask us about reaction conditions, apparatus drawings, safety, yield, calculations etc

What reason is there for them to not bring it? I'm not saying that it will come, but it may show up >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelikgrrl)
    Our school gave some resources but they are hard copies. I ll try to scan them and put them. What topics can you expect in the paper? Transition metals cations, nmr spectroscopy, titrations, what else?
    ya thats what I would come but it wont be very similar spec paper last year also for unit 3 it was nt very similar.

we have to know how to carry out a titration I they would ask for the thiosulphate one since they have asked the Kmno4 one in the specimen does any one have the exact steps how it is carried out.

It would be awesome if you could post the resoureces you got from school can you please do it if you find time thanks

ReputationRep:
    Guys, please do not be fooled into think that whatever is on the specimen won't repeat in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    Guys, please do not be fooled into think that whatever is on the specimen won't repeat in the exam.
    Ya you may be right but there can be a low probability of getting the same thing ya ?
    Any ways anybody will like go through the specimen very well since its the only proper paper we have.

ReputationRep:
    Less than a week left! OMG.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what to studyy!! Its impossible to study all the organic reactions we took in AS AND A2. I don't have the time or the willpower.
    So i'll study this year's material and hope to god that this will be enough.

Btw does anyone know if we need to know the flame test colors and solution colors with NaOH/NH3? our teacher told us we'd be provided with a data booklet, but it doesnt say so on the cover sheet of the specimen paper.

ReputationRep:
    One more question. in the specimen, they asked us to identify a compound from its nmr spectrum. are we supposed to memorize what peak corresponds to what functional group??

ReputationRep:
    They better not bring nmr or IR and expect us to read it off without data (or data booklet).

ReputationRep:
    i think that the best way to revise for unit 6 is to go through all the reactions in AS and A2especially the organic!! revise the colours of chemicals and compounds any observations!! solve the past papers...and the specimen paper and thats it!!
    i did unit 3 last year and it was very similar to one of the past papers...hope the same thing happens this year with unit 6!!
    anyway best of luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    Sad thing is, there aren't any past papers similar to this Unit.

There were for Unit 3B.

ReputationRep:
    we only have the specimen paper, don't we?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.