Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    no even for this one..u can practice by solving Unit 6B!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hadil hamdi)
    no even for this one..u can practice by solving Unit 6B!!
    where can i find these pastpapers? as far as i know, we're sitting for the first exam.

ReputationRep:
    yaa we're the first exam according to the new specification...
    am solving past papers of the old syllabus...i have them as a hard copy only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hadil hamdi)
    am solving past papers of the old syllabus...i have them as a hard copy only
    can i please have the code of the paper? i'll try to find them online

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

does anyone know of any methods to find the activation energy of reactions?
    any examples of reactions to accompany the method would be helpful

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    < yaa we're the first exam according to the new specification...
    am solving past papers of the old syllabus...i have them as a hard copy only >

are we suposed to learn the mechanisms?...cuz i was doin unit6B...dere like mechanisms for 4 marks or 5....am i suposed to do tht too? wat do u ppl think?

ReputationRep:
    I just know that it involves the Arrenhius equation and I think we plot a log graph and the negative of the gradient is the EA. I'll try to post a method soon. This is popular experiment, it should be easy to find to online.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find the experiment for finding the activation energy in the sample paper for Unit 4. As Doughboy said, it involves plotting a graph for 1/Temperature and ln k (ln k being ln 1/time). The gradient is -Ea/R. You already know the value of R (its the gas constant). You change the sign and get Ea.
    Anyway, its question 18c in the Unit 4 sample paper. It gives you a detailed experiment.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that the only thing that comes from Unit 4 is organic chemistry. I'd hate if some kinetics or acid/base equilibria shows up!

ReputationRep:
    seriously! kinetics is ok. but acid/base is like chinese, especially those titration curves and finding Ka at half the volume...
    ah well...i studied all organic reactions, methods of separation, colors of transition metals, tests for halides, and tests for gases...now im just gonna pray to god that this is enough. i need an A in chemistry to meet my offer

ReputationRep:
    Lol, not to boast or anything but I can afford to get zero in this unit and 72/120 for 6CH05.

Life's good :]

ReputationRep:
    now that you mentioned it, do you know what total score i need to get for an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini Mouse)
    can i please have the code of the paper? i'll try to find them online
    the code for the old past papers is 6246/02

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zephyrr)
    < yaa we're the first exam according to the new specification...
    am solving past papers of the old syllabus...i have them as a hard copy only >

are we suposed to learn the mechanisms?...cuz i was doin unit6B...dere like mechanisms for 4 marks or 5....am i suposed to do tht too? wat do u ppl think?
    well...i dunno but personally am gna revise them..just in case they asked!!

ReputationRep:
    Ermm..i dont know if this helps but our chem teacher in school made us practise with UNIT 6A PAPERS..which are practicals..you can look up the marking schemes..and write the observations and then do the paper..its a huge help,and they are so similar to the sample paper for U6 (6CHO8), the layout and questions are presented in the same way,except for the planning part!
    revising organic of AS and A2,recrystallisation,boiling point determination,titration, those reactions of diazotisation,nitration,colours. .flame tests..
    anything else??

ReputationRep:
    ^that's pretty much it.

Obviously, they will assume that we know how to make suggestions, limitations etc and calculations with moles and yield can easily show up.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone has a list of experiment which we need to know for this unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini Mouse)
    You'll find the experiment for finding the activation energy in the sample paper for Unit 4. As Doughboy said, it involves plotting a graph for 1/Temperature and ln k (ln k being ln 1/time). The gradient is -Ea/R. You already know the value of R (its the gas constant). You change the sign and get Ea.
    Anyway, its question 18c in the Unit 4 sample paper. It gives you a detailed experiment.
    i think this ques is really tough!

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah! lol thanks for refreshing my memory Doughboy and Mini Mouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nischay)
    does anyone has a list of experiment which we need to know for this unit?
    According to my knowledge its,
    Melting and Boiling Point Determination
    Iodine Thiosulphate and KMnO4 titrations
    Heat Under Reflux and Fractional Distillation
    Organic Tests (Mainly the ones in Unit 4 like 2,4 DNP solution etc)
    Recrystallization
    Methods of Separation

I think thats about it
    guyz please add on if I had missed something

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.