Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys does anybody know the difference between Simple distillation and Fractional distillation

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone state what exactly to study from the enthalpy energies and calculations??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    Guys does anybody know the difference between Simple distillation and Fractional distillation
    Simple: when there is a marked difference between boiling points of the things you wanna separate

Fractional: when the boiling points of the things you wanna separate are similar or close together.

Please explain solvent extraction and steam distillation :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joann79)
    Can anyone state what exactly to study from the enthalpy energies and calculations??
    Everything! All definitions and remember your Hess Cycle.

Btw, I finished getting the pack for you. I'm uploading it now. Sorry that I took so long, was really busy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    According to my knowledge its,
    Melting and Boiling Point Determination
    Iodine Thiosulphate and KMnO4 titrations
    Heat Under Reflux and Fractional Distillation
    Organic Tests (Mainly the ones in Unit 4 like 2,4 DNP solution etc)
    Recrystallization
    Methods of Separation

I think thats about it
    guyz please add on if I had missed something
    Drying, solvent extraction, steam distillation.

Transition Metal Tests and Reactions

All organic preparations (in the syllabus you will see 'describe how to prepare .... ') We must know why each step was executed.

Investigating the kinetics of a reaction.

Simply entropy reactions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    Everything! All definitions and remember your Hess Cycle.

Btw, I finished getting the pack for you. I'm uploading it now. Sorry that I took so long, was really busy!
    No worries Doughboy! Thanks a lot!!! :woo:
    The thing is there are not much practice papers
    Can't wait to see the pack.

Steam distillation: is a special type of distillation(a separation process) for temperature sensitive materials like natural aromatic compounds.

Solvent extraction: is when you extract the aqueous layer for the solution and separate using a separating funnel.

ReputationRep:
    Simple: when there is a marked difference between boiling points of the things you wanna separate

Fractional: when the boiling points of the things you wanna separate are similar or close together.

Please explain solvent extraction and steam distillation :woo:

Hey thanks for the explanation

I am not sure of solvent extraction but I remember studying it for As I post if I get around it.

Here is what facer states for steam distillation

Steam distillation is used to extract a volatile liquid that is immisicible with water from a complex mixture.It is used to extract perfumes from flowers and fruits.

Here is a diagram for you.

Note that the heat on the conical flask is not indicated in the facer book so i guess you dont need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    Hey thanks for the explanation

I am not sure of solvent extraction but I remember studying it for As I post if I get around it.

Here is what facer states for steam distillation

Steam distillation is used to extract a volatile liquid that is immisicible with water from a complex mixture.It is used to extract perfumes from flowers and fruits.

Here is a diagram for you.

Note that the heat on the conical flask is not indicated in the facer book so i guess you dont need it.
    Thanks. That Facer book must be very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. That Facer book must be very useful.
    ya it is very much usefull

ReputationRep:
    I have kindly compiled a semi-revision pack for this unit because I love TSR so much :rolleyes:

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkttwnhnnjj

:cool:

GOOD LUCK GUYS!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please explain Hess law and the steps to calculate it.
    I had a problem with it in AS and I still do now

Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    ya thats what I would come but it wont be very similar spec paper last year also for unit 3 it was nt very similar.

we have to know how to carry out a titration I they would ask for the thiosulphate one since they have asked the Kmno4 one in the specimen does any one have the exact steps how it is carried out.

It would be awesome if you could post the resoureces you got from school can you please do it if you find time thanks
    Sorry.. I have been busy with the local exam finals and just now when I tried, there is a problem with the scanner. When I connect it the electricity goes from the whole house. May be due to lack of use :/ and I really don't have time to type it so I won't be able to get it here

ReputationRep:
    gosh Doughboy whata pack
    simply amazinggggg

thanks agn.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys does any1 have years 2007 , 2008 and 2009 for Unit 6B ??
    if yes could u plz post it or send it??
    thaanx

ReputationRep:
    These are practice for internal assessment but we can use it by looking at the mark scheme and write the inferences

Hope it will be usefull:woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    These are practice for internal assessment but we can use it by looking at the mark scheme and write the inferences

Thank you sooo much ishta!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    thanks ishta n Doughboy .... bt guys i m goin MAD!!!!! there's too much to learn!.....god help me!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)

Do you have similar ones for physics?

ReputationRep:
    Guyz this is a site which has videos of practicles which we need to know

http://www.chem-ilp.net/labTechnique...ctionVideo.htm

ReputationRep:
    Important!
    pH titration — finding the Ka value of a weak acid
    Following the rate of a reaction
    Potassium manganate(VII) titration
    Finding the activation energy of a reaction[/B]

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.